Author Topic: The new Nikon mirrorless system  (Read 121090 times)

Jan Anne

• Noob
  • Global Moderator
  • Holland
    • Me on Flickr
Re: The new Nikon mirrorless system
« Reply #120 on: August 24, 2018, 11:36:22 »
Great find Øivind and awesome news if this is the case :)
Cheers,
Jan Anne

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #121 on: August 24, 2018, 11:56:49 »
Still trying to figure out what comes extra with the Z7 over de Z6 that explains the hefty premium in price.

High resolution has a certain value to the user and typically this type of camera occupies the 3200-3800€ price class.

The 24MP model is perhaps more general purpose and fits the needs of a broader audience (faster, less heavy on the amount of data generated, possibly better high ISO) so it can be offered at a lower price.

This pricing is consistent with existing Canon (5D III/IV vs. 5Ds R), Sony (A7 vs. A7R), and Nikon (D750 vs. D8x0) pricing for "regular" and "high resolution" models.

chambeshi

« Reply #122 on: August 24, 2018, 12:15:19 »
Still trying to figure out what comes extra with the Z7 over de Z6 that explains the hefty premium in price.

So far the only differences I could find are of course the different sensors with roughly double the MP's and AF points, different ISO range (lower) and probably a higher DR range. Besides the sensor there seems to be a more efficient (or less powerful) wifi and bluetooth radio on board but should not be really relevant for the price I guess.

With the Sony a7 range the R models came with a full metal vs plastic shell, metal vs plastic buttons, bigger and better EVF with Zeiss coatings, PDAF and CDAF vs only CDAF, etc whereas the Z6 and Z7 seem to be the same construction and feature wise.

What am I missing here?

We read in the pdf Brochure Table (pg 77) the difference you listed in AF coverage differs by 493 vs 273. This has to be the other justification alongside the 46mp sensor.

many in other forums condemn these specs as sub par compared to Sony, as though Nikon should have leapt ahead in key specs. I ignore this noise. Besides what we read about what the FTZ converter brings to Nikonland, I suspect [hope!] it is AF performance where we will experience some surprises. If so, this will justify paying out for a Z7 with fuller EVF coverage. My personal justification is the high quality of the sensor will match if not better my already superb D850 + in the lighter camera with silent shutter and all the other key benefits a MILC of this spec confers on the wildlife, macro and landscape genres.

On another topic, there is no mention of Group Area mode in AF: "Pinpoint, single-point and dynamic-area AF (pinpoint and dynamic-area AF available in photo mode only); wide-area AF (S); wide-area AF (L); auto-area AF"

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #123 on: August 24, 2018, 12:20:08 »
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Øivind Tøien

• NG Supporter
  • Fairbanks, Alaska
« Reply #124 on: August 24, 2018, 12:32:21 »

In various crop modes (DX, video etc), will the viewfinder image be expanded to the whole display area or be cropped like on a DSLR?
Øivind Tøien

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #125 on: August 24, 2018, 12:34:54 »
We read in the pdf Brochure Table (pg 77) the difference you listed in AF coverage differs by 493 vs 273. This has to be the other justification alongside the 46mp sensor.

The area covered is the same, but the Z7 has a higher density of AF points. This is reasonable because to achieve the higher resolution you need to be able to specify the focus more precisely.

If so, this will justify paying out for a Z7 with fuller EVF coverage.

I'm not sure what you mean. The EVF is the same.

Øivind Tøien

• NG Supporter
  • Fairbanks, Alaska
« Reply #126 on: August 24, 2018, 12:35:18 »
Great find Øivind and awesome news if this is the case :)

Yes, hopefully it is not the marketing department that has gone overboard. The question is also if these control points will be as well integrated as in CNX2.
Øivind Tøien

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #127 on: August 24, 2018, 12:38:40 »
Yes, hopefully it is not the marketing department that has gone overboard. The question is also if these control points will be as well integrated as in CNX2.

Control points are useless if the software constantly crashes. NX-D has been the most shocking downgrade from NX2 and perhaps the biggest disappoint I have experienced as a Nikon user.

Jørgen Ramskov

• NG Supporter
  • Aarhus, Denmark
« Reply #128 on: August 24, 2018, 12:44:40 »
Jørgen Ramskov

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #129 on: August 24, 2018, 12:53:42 »
Suspicion confirmed: the Z cameras support incoming NMEA data on the USB port. Meaning my Foolography GPS units will work. Today's greatest news (for me).

Now we are awaiting L brackets and sundry other gadgets. As the form factor of the Z6/7 is identical, any L bracket should be perfect on either body (I have ordered Z6 and Z7 and hope to get the Z7 in September, the Z6 in November).

chambeshi

« Reply #130 on: August 24, 2018, 13:01:31 »
Suspicion confirmed: the Z cameras support incoming NMEA data on the USB port. Meaning my Foolography GPS units will work. Today's greatest news (for me).

Great news indeed

here is overview of significance of the new Z from within Japan - use Google translate. "It can be said that this is an announcement of a high-speed large-capacity communication system of a new era called a Z mount system rather than a camera announcement."

https://pc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/column/config/1139440.html

Jan Anne

• Noob
  • Global Moderator
  • Holland
    • Me on Flickr
« Reply #131 on: August 24, 2018, 13:08:47 »
This pricing is consistent with existing Canon (5D III/IV vs. 5Ds R), Sony (A7 vs. A7R), and Nikon (D750 vs. D8x0) pricing for "regular" and "high resolution" models.
That I understand but those are different cameras, eg the D750 has consumer specs (with all due respect) whereas the D8x0 can do the pro stuff like 1/8000th shutter, 10 pin connector, etc and the a7R models has the premium EVF, LCD, all metal vs plastic build, etc over the a7 models.

Let me turn it around, if the Z7 is the premium model at 3400 bucks you are getting a whole lot of camera for 2000 bucks with the Z6 as the only difference seems to be the sensor :)

Personally I am in the market for the Z7 to continue the high res journey which started with the D800E, a7R and the current a7RII.

The low res and high ISO journey which started with the D700, D3s and now the a7S will end soon when I sell the a7S as the high ISO performance provided by the high res cameras has been sufficient for my use since the amazing sensor of the a7RII (which should be superseded by performance of the Z7).
Cheers,
Jan Anne

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #132 on: August 24, 2018, 13:14:51 »
On the Japanese Nikon website, the specification tables for all 24-70, 50. 35mm Nikkor Z lenses indicates the angle-of-view for both FX and DX.

I wonder if this is typo, or Nikon is developing Z bodies of DX format?  (I guess it is just typo, though.)
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

dslater

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #133 on: August 24, 2018, 13:35:19 »
The FTZ adapter should work with even the most exotic of F-mount lenses. It will allow the use of manual lenses with CPU of course, as expected.  AF/AFD lenses will meter, but there is, again as expected, no screwdriver AF transmission, thus these lenses from late '80s up to the first generation of AFS optics will not do autofocus. Indeed, like they behave of most Nikons today.

Here is the 55/3.5 Micro-Nikkor on the FTZ. One can regulate the aperture from the camera's thumbwheel on the top right corner. In this case, as the lens is CPU-modified, nothing additional is required. For non-CPU lenses, there is the same procedure as on traditional DSLRs by diving into the menus and set the lens data there.

Since the adapter doesn't have an Ai tab, aperature can only be set with the thumb wheel, not the aperature ring, correct? If this is the case, then non-Ai lenses will have exposure issues due to the non-uniform spacing of f-stops correct?

Ethan

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #134 on: August 24, 2018, 13:38:57 »