Author Topic: The new Nikon mirrorless system  (Read 122103 times)

chris dees

• NG Supporter
  • Amsterdam
Re: The new Nikon mirrorless system
« Reply #150 on: August 24, 2018, 16:53:28 »
For a lot of people 1 card slot is not a dealbreaker, but for me it is.
I had once a card failure during a wedding shoot and boy I was happy I shot with 2 cards in "back-up mode". It saved my ass.
It happened only once, but I wil never do a commercial event/wedding shoot or "Once in a lifetime travel" with only 1 card in camera.

There a couple of other things I don't like, such as fps restrictions, buffer capacity.

The Z6 could replace my Df. ;)
Chris Dees

Jan Anne

• Noob
  • Global Moderator
  • Holland
    • Me on Flickr
« Reply #151 on: August 24, 2018, 17:21:31 »
As it seems Nikon will keep the mount "closed" for the time being, making it very difficult for third parties to make compatible lenses.
Where did you get this info from?

With Photokina on the way I was kinda hoping that Voigtlander and Zeiss would announce their Nikon Z lenses based on their current (and new) Sony EF offerings.

Had to wait 2,5 years for a decent native ultra wide-angle and don't intend to resort to adapting Nikon F lenses again when it isn't necessary.

Here's an image of the amazingly compact and capable Voigtlander 15mm f/4.5 FE sided by the original 15/4.5 LTM and the Samyang 14/2.8, both adapted to the Sony FE mount for size reference. This completely renewed for digital classic has an old skool aperture ring which can either be with or without third stop clicks, has a focus scale and a hard infinity stop, three features I can and will not do without on an ultra wide angle lens so those upcoming focus by wire UWA's without aperture rings are not really my forte.

When the Zee cameras are ones first mirrorless camera its perfectly fine to adapt Nikon F lenses to bridge the transition phase but I already went through all that 5 years ago and not very eager to make the jump to a Z7 while I have a perfect set of lenses for the a7RII, so if Nikon doesn't open up their mount I'll just stick with what I have I guess.

Cheers,
Jan Anne

arthurking83

• NG Member
  • Good to be back on NikonGear
« Reply #152 on: August 24, 2018, 17:28:31 »

So it could look like we are getting the control points back in CNX-D.

WooHoo!
about time(I hope).

counting the seconds till it's release.
Arthur

arthurking83

• NG Member
  • Good to be back on NikonGear
« Reply #153 on: August 24, 2018, 17:46:10 »
i noticed that the EVF DOESN'T FLICKER in artificial lighting :o :o :o

did anybody notice this? there is also no lag or "freeze frame" when you activate the AF ::)

.... I see no reason the Nikons cannot be the same.

I think it was Bjørn towards the lower part of page #1

".. only the trace of flicker under fluoro lights ..."

This may be a big deal for me, as it's possibly the reason I'm anti EVFs to date. They make me queezy when looking through them and fast motion.
(as an aside tho, I am easily susceptible to motion sickness)
Arthur

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
« Reply #154 on: August 24, 2018, 17:48:25 »
Last year, I opened a thread "when my Df dies, ..."

It looks like my Df can die in peace. But as late as possible, please (I love it and besides, finances are low)
Airy Magnien

chambeshi

« Reply #155 on: August 24, 2018, 18:05:48 »
this first review using a preproduction Z7 reports 800-1000 shots with  the preproduction Z7:

".... The battery usage wasn't fully optimised at that point, and I was told it would be improved when released. Having said that, I was getting around 800-1000 images per battery. Update: I've just finished presenting and shooting at the Nikon UK launch event in London. The official rating is around 330 shots per battery. I have no idea how they ended up at that figure as I had shot a shade under 500 images at the event and only 1/5th of the battery was used."

http://www.rossharvey.com/reviews/nikon-z7-review

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #156 on: August 24, 2018, 18:25:18 »
"I was hired by Nikon Japan to showcase the technical aspects of the new 35mm ƒ1.8 lens "

Jan Anne

• Noob
  • Global Moderator
  • Holland
    • Me on Flickr
« Reply #157 on: August 24, 2018, 19:08:42 »
http://www.rossharvey.com/reviews/nikon-z7-review
A quote from the Z35/1.8 review:
The sensor and lens system is a new design, akin to medium format in the way bokeh (depth) is rendered. I recall hearing that ƒ1.8 on this system is roughly equal to ƒ1.4 on full frame.

To my knowledge the Zee cameras have an FX sized sensor so this remark doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

That said the boke does look nice :)
Cheers,
Jan Anne

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #158 on: August 24, 2018, 19:13:03 »
I challenged several Nikon reps on that ridiculous statement "f/1.8 is f/1.4" and got no substantial backing for the claim. Which is not surprising as it is sheer nonsense. Probably a dimwit in a marketing department made it up.

Spoke briefly to Ross Harvey and he said battery consumption was a no-brainer as he could shoot all day long and no need for recharging. However, he acknowledged only jpgs were used and of course even bad UK weather is not like a Nordic late autumn or winter.

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #159 on: August 24, 2018, 19:34:59 »
I'm curious about focusing old lenses, how hard or easy is it?

Very easy with the few lenses I tried on an FTZ-equipped Z7.

Eddie Draaisma

• NG Supporter
« Reply #160 on: August 24, 2018, 19:55:25 »
Regarding f/1.8 and f/1.4, on the European Nikon sites the following is mentioned at both the 35mm and 50mm pages. Sounds more plausible, let’s hope it is true...

“Its outstanding optical performance means that you can enjoy image quality that outshines even the f/1.4 primes that have come before.“

chris dees

• NG Supporter
  • Amsterdam
« Reply #161 on: August 24, 2018, 20:20:43 »
Is it because the new lenses don't need to stop down for maximum sharpness?
Most 1.4 lenses need to stop down a little for (corner) sharpness.
Chris Dees

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #162 on: August 24, 2018, 20:27:13 »
Still makes no sense in regard to the marketing rubbish. I expect another bad seed planted by marketing dept and the myth taking a long time to root out.

Jan Anne

• Noob
  • Global Moderator
  • Holland
    • Me on Flickr
« Reply #163 on: August 24, 2018, 20:34:56 »
B, any preliminary thoughts on the Z35/1.8?
Cheers,
Jan Anne

dibyendumajumdar

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #164 on: August 24, 2018, 20:48:26 »
Very easy with the few lenses I tried on an FTZ-equipped Z7.

Could you explain how this works a bit more? Is there an easy way to magnify the viewfinder image without taking one's eyes off ? Reading the description given in the brochure it doesn't sound like this is possible?

The brochure says:

You can zoom in on the image to confirm focus in detail by pressing the zoom in button before shooting.

Thanks and Regards