Author Topic: New Tripod  (Read 22966 times)

ArthurDent

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
New Tripod
« on: May 02, 2018, 14:52:22 »
I’m in need of a new tripod. My heaviest lens is the 70-200 f/2.8 VR and my camera body is the D500. I’d like one that will allow me to get close to the ground. I’d also like something fairly light but also rigid. I’m not adverse to spending a good bit on it, but if there is a lesser known brand that is  comparable to the better known brands at a good price, I’d certainly be willing to save some money. Any thoughts?

armando_m

• NG Supporter
  • Guadalajara México
    • http://armando-m.smugmug.com/
Re: New Tripod
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2018, 16:03:14 »
Choosing the right tripod can be exhausting with all the available brands and options, I asked the same question around 2012, got all sort of recommendations and followed none, so,  I went to the store web site , select the maximum weight, I picked 5kg x 2 roughly 20lbs, then select the type of head, type of legs, material, etc  ...

Picked an off brand tripod - flashpoint is the brand - carbon fiber, with a ball head (arca swiss comaptible), I have traveled all over, dropped it on volcanic rock, get it wet in the ocean, use in really dusty conditions and it is still serving me well , I think I spent about $300 dollars on it, but I do not see that particular tripod online anymore although there are similar alternatives

sorry this is not much help , but wanted to share my experience, only you know what characteristics are more convenient for you
Armando Morales
D800, Nikon 1 V1, Fuji X-T3

ArthurDent

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2018, 16:18:52 »
Choosing the right tripod can be exhausting with all the available brands and options, I asked the same question around 2012, got all sort of recommendations and followed none, so,  I went to the store web site , select the maximum weight, I picked 5kg x 2 roughly 20lbs, then select the type of head, type of legs, material, etc  ...

Picked an off brand tripod - flashpoint is the brand - carbon fiber, with a ball head (arca swiss comaptible), I have traveled all over, dropped it on volcanic rock, get it wet in the ocean, use in really dusty conditions and it is still serving me well , I think I spent about $300 dollars on it, but I do not see that particular tripod online anymore although there are similar alternatives

sorry this is not much help , but wanted to share my experience, only you know what characteristics are more convenient for you

Thank you, Armando. I’ve been looking online and so far like this one:
https://www.amazon.com/Vanguard-Alta-Pro-263AT-Aluminum/dp/B003BQ1D4C
With this head:
https://www.amazon.com/Sirui-K-10X-Ballhead-Release-Capacity/dp/B004QC1EOO
But I’m certainly open to suggestions.

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2018, 17:16:28 »
The Sirui and Benro ranges are well regarded and can be had in carbon fibre versions as well. This material confers a lot of advantages as regards light weight and stability, plus of course is much more comfortable to handle in cold weather than metal 'pods.

MFloyd

• NG Supporter
  • My quest for the "perfect" speed blur
    • Adobe Portfolio
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2018, 17:28:11 »
I have an excellent experience with RRS - Really Right Stuff. Not cheap tough.

http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/tripods/carbon-fiber
Γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Lars Hansen

• NG Member
  • Zealand, Denmark
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2018, 17:30:41 »
I've been very happy with my Feisol CT-3401 (carbon fibre) tripod for my small Fuji and a Nikon D40. Feisol has a flexible tripod system.   

Like you, I wanted a tripod that could get close to the ground. Note that the model I chose has no center column - for increased stability but it makes it slower to work with ... however, it will probably get you closer to ground faster :-)

I have no idea how Feisol compares price wise to the other brands mentioned here. 

Michael Erlewine

• Close-Up Photographer
  • NG Supporter
  • Close-Up with APO
    • Spirit Grooves
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2018, 18:58:02 »
Since I stack focus, tripods are very important. I have settled on RRS tripods as being better for my work than the many Gitzo tripods I have from the past. The Series 3 (3-section) tripod with NO center column is what I use. TVC-33. I also use a slightly lighter one, the TVC-23: Versa series 2, 3 sections/leg.

I never use a center column and use the Arca-Swiss Cube-1 on both of those tripods.

But these cost a lot, but are worth it.

MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com, Daily Blog at https://www.facebook.com/MichaelErlewine. main site: SpiritGrooves.net, https://www.youtube.com/user/merlewine, Founder: MacroStop.com, All-Music Guide, All-Movie Guide, Classic Posters.com, Matrix Software, DharmaGrooves.com

arthurking83

• NG Member
  • Good to be back on NikonGear
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2018, 10:08:06 »
I recently bought myself a large Leofoto branded carbon tripod. Very good, almost perfectly rigid(except at full extension) large but not overly heavy.
I've had good, but third party, experience with the more expensive Benro tripods too. That is via other people.
I've used a Gotzo GT3531 for years now, and while it's ok .. wayyy too much money for it's sturdiness. The Benro equivalent tripods in that size/class are far cheaper.

Spend your money on a high quality head for it. Whether your preference is for a ball head, or whatever .. don't skimp on the head.
Arthur

John G

• "Borrowed a Little Light"
  • NG Member
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2018, 09:11:24 »
If Sirui has got onto your shortlist, have a look at the web store "photogadget". they supply at the most competitive prices.
John Gallagher

MILLIREHM

• NG Supporter
  • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2018, 19:23:18 »
I`d recommend
Feisol Tournament 3442 Rapid
lighweight, cheaper and better than the Gitzos, lets you get close to the ground
compact
(you need a head that fits between the legs when switched to "Tournament" mode
(I am using a Markins Q3 Emile )

no center column of course
That would be the most needed feature
(For that center columns are counterproductive i still dont understand why most tripods aer equipped with this "bug"
Wolfgang Rehm

afx

• NG Member
  • Grumpy Bavarian from Munich
    • AFXImages
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2018, 20:28:36 »
(For that center columns are counterproductive i still dont understand why most tripods aer equipped with this "bug"
Center columns are very useful for precise height adjustments. Not too keen on them for travel/outdoors, but perfectly fine in studio type settings or even outdoors if you don't need to balance long glass.
Basically all my professional friends use tripods with center columns, but they do not shoot wildlife.

cheers
afx

Seapy

• NG Member
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2018, 21:47:29 »
I demand tripod with rigidity, nothing else matters, period.
Robert C. P.
South Cumbria, UK

ArthurDent

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2018, 23:50:14 »
Seapy, what tripod do you use? What head?

MILLIREHM

• NG Supporter
  • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2018, 00:16:53 »
Center columns are very useful for precise height adjustments. Not too keen on them for travel/outdoors, but perfectly fine in studio type settings or even outdoors if you don't need to balance long glass.
Basically all my professional friends use tripods with center columns, but they do not shoot wildlife.

cheers
afx
OK let me explain it  a bit more detailed what I mean
First of all I was focused solely on outdoor photography
Yes,  center columns provide more commodity and  are good for studio work for holding lights, flashes and even cameras ;-). Studio tripods dont need to be lightweight, and wind resistant. Floor vibrations may be a problem but thats a different story. Center columns for a dedicated studio tripod are perfectly OK

Yes center columns can be used outdoor as well. I  do a lot with big glass there they are a no go (would not use the Feisol Tournament 3442 Rapid for that although it can take a 200/2 or a 400/5,6 -the Gitzo 1228 i had before [twice as pricey] for the same purpose could not - A Sachtler [ENG2CF] or the Feisol FEISOL CT-3472 RAPID heavy duty are better for that job but not what Arthurs equipment requires.
Center columns are not apt for ground work and you'd need to exchange the column against a short one (like Gitzo used to offer)

When it comes to stability extending the center column somehow turns a tripod into a monopod, it makes it more prone to vibration and wind vibrations though.Yes it can work nevertheless. For dedicated studio tripods the column design is perfectly finde but I wonder why so many tripods that are more on the outdoor side have it as well, see that unbalanced.
BTW For outdoor situations i find a leveling base more useful for precise adjustments than a column.

Wolfgang Rehm

Seapy

• NG Member
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2018, 00:33:48 »
LOL!  A builders survey tripod, weighs 4.5 Kg and cost a hundred quid 30 years ago, owes me nothing, I have various heads, a Manfrotto video, A Manfrotto ball head and a cheap Chinese head which is pretty rubbish.  Also my new panorama head 'with a difference' which is novel to say the least!

I am working on creating my own ball head soon from another chunk of aluminium.

My lightweight tripod is a Kennet Benbo (correct spelling) tripod which is also of a novel design but not quite so rigid as the big one, but serves well enough for flowers, it doubles as a bipod and a monopod.  Weighs a mere ~3.8 Kg.

http://www.patersonphotographic.com/product-category/tripods/tripods-tripods/

It is a very versatile tool which can stand in water, a bog or against a wall with aplomb.

Here using it on a lava flow on the Isle of Mull, 2008 photographing a tiny flower.

Robert C. P.
South Cumbria, UK