Author Topic: The Nikkor “O” CRT 55mm f/1.2 Lens: A Recipe for Lovely  (Read 15668 times)

Michael Erlewine

• Close-Up Photographer
  • NG Supporter
  • Close-Up with APO
    • Spirit Grooves
Re: The Nikkor “O” CRT 55mm f/1.2 Lens: A Recipe for Lovely
« Reply #60 on: June 16, 2018, 05:50:14 »
but I love the CRT Nikkor. I have two, one of the 7x series and one of the 8x series. These lenses are not the same! The 8x has more field curvature (seemingly) resulting in a bit different look of OOF highlights at the edges.

What does the 7x and 8x refer to here? I only know of the two CRT Nikkors 55mm, one with the red markings (later) and one without.
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com, Daily Blog at https://www.facebook.com/MichaelErlewine. main site: SpiritGrooves.net, https://www.youtube.com/user/merlewine, Founder: MacroStop.com, All-Music Guide, All-Movie Guide, Classic Posters.com, Matrix Software, DharmaGrooves.com

Toby

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Toby Marshall
« Reply #61 on: June 16, 2018, 10:11:47 »
Michael, the earlier series all had serial numbers starting with 7 and the second series with red markings all started with 8 (as far as I know). I had one of the earlier ones but surprisingly won a later one on eBay with a very low bid, so I ended up with two. I did some comparison tests and while they are very similar, the later one seemed to have slightly more field curvature, judging by the shape of OOF highlights near the edges.

By the way, for those without the jam nut, a possible solution using the BR15 or wanting to mount on an M42 helicoid is to get a M39 to M42 adapting ring on eBay. It is about 3mm thick, which might solve the rear clearance problem. Of course you can use more than one. Not beautiful, but it is solid and it works.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #62 on: March 24, 2019, 04:56:45 »
The CRT continues to work nicely on my Fuji X-E3.  Shot at the designed magnification: mounted without the "jam nut" into BR-15 and then on an F to X mount adapter.  Stopped down to f2.0.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Toby

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Toby Marshall
« Reply #63 on: March 25, 2019, 08:39:21 »
There are actually a number of oscillo lenses that are--to some extent--alternatives to the Nikkor-O. They, too, are corrected for close-up work, usually between 1:0.5 and 1:1. I guess that none have quite the resolution of the Nikkor-O, but they are by no means bad close up. Most all also have a negatively curved field to fit the curve of CRT tubes. Like the Nikkor-O, they tend to have high resolution but glow that limits resolution and contrast wide open. I find using them one to two stops down is usually the best recipe for decently crisp images while not erasing the weird bokeh that comes from their curved field. Here, FWIW are a few examples. First, two shots with the CRT Nikkor. The next two are with an 86mm f1.2 STL-Elgeet, made for TRW Space Technology Labs. I really should try it at 1:1 for which it is designed. Then two with an Ilex Oscillo Paragon 80mm f1.3. And then two with a Wollensak Oscillo-Raptar 75mm f1.9. Finally two with a rather rare Wollensak 80mm f1.3 Oscillo-Raptar

Fons Baerken

• NG Supporter
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/fonsbaerken/
« Reply #64 on: March 25, 2019, 15:37:05 »
Wonderful images.

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #65 on: March 25, 2019, 15:48:18 »
Toby, Toby, what wonderful lenses and images. Thank you!
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/