Author Topic: [Theme] The Organ Thread  (Read 101933 times)

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
Re: [Theme] The Organ Thread
« Reply #285 on: October 27, 2016, 01:00:53 »
Missions were used by the Spanish to colonize California with Real Estate Management, Prayer, Enslavement & Murder.

This Organ sits in the Mission San Juan Capistrano in San Juan Capistrano, CA

It is really very dark in that room and I tried to keep the original impression...
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #286 on: October 27, 2016, 01:08:40 »
ThomasG: These are the first pictures I see from you Iceland Experience ... 9000 ... wow. I came back from California with 8700, but I bracket +1/0/-1 all the time, so in truth only 2900. ... Back to the image: This is a very beautiful huge organ and somehow you managed to take a geometrically perfect shot of it. So I guess you used pano technology to take and later correct it?
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #287 on: October 27, 2016, 01:11:46 »
Église Unie Saint-James, Montreal.
Since I didn´t know, I will like for you guys to point out if I miss something important. I´m growing fond of this thread.

Photographically I like the first image most, which is kind of two images in one: The organ geometrically stabilized as the focussed background and the chandelier as a disturbing element, a sidekick...

... very interesting

Thomas G

• NG Supporter
  • lumofisk
    • Iceland round trip 2016
« Reply #288 on: October 27, 2016, 19:30:14 »
ThomasG: These are the first pictures I see from you Iceland Experience ... 9000 ... wow. I came back from California with 8700, but I bracket +1/0/-1 all the time, so in truth only 2900. ... Back to the image: This is a very beautiful huge organ and somehow you managed to take a geometrically perfect shot of it. So I guess you used pano technology to take and later correct it?
Thanks! Yes, it is one of many. Free hand pano and some post effort.
More of Hallgrímskirkja in Reykjavik:

1 - The organ, built by Klais, has 5275 pipes.
2 - alternate take, AW 1, 10mm/2,8
3 - side organ
4 - side organ back pipe detail
-/-/-

MFloyd

• NG Supporter
  • My quest for the "perfect" speed blur
    • Adobe Portfolio
« Reply #289 on: October 27, 2016, 20:30:36 »
Beautiful organ, but make me dream... There, I see pictures for a organ manufacturer catalog.  On top, there is too much grain / noise.  I have also a big problem with the framing: (1) why all this front scene ?; (2) what has the ugly window to do there; (3) portrait framing would enhance the organ pipes, now they are cut somewhere in the middle.
Γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #290 on: October 27, 2016, 21:25:51 »
The Klais workshop is round the Corner, Philipp Klais sat next to my brother in school and the opening picture is a picture I took for him. Exciting to see things from Bonn all over the world, not only HARIBO Gummi Bears!

Thomas G

• NG Supporter
  • lumofisk
« Reply #291 on: October 27, 2016, 21:29:41 »
Beautiful organ, but make me dream... There, I see pictures for a organ manufacturer catalog.  On top, there is too much grain / noise. 
Dreaming is allowed. Dreaming of going there again I'd bring and tripod, a flash and a helping hand maybe. Invite a lesser number of other tourists. Other time of the day.
Less direct sun... a lot of fairy tale wishes.

Well, there is noise if the light is low and shadows creep in. Adding to that: small CX sensor. I don't mind it that much.
This is not glossy advertising. More documentary while walking by.

I have also a big problem with the framing:
(1) why all this front scene ?;
I like it with environment or straight on the nose. The latter I did not bring the equipment for.
I don't like shooting up at strange levels in geometric environments, a distant position helps de-fuzzing the capture.
Well, it may be cut-framed, but then the lighting deficits will be more prominent and balance will loose as well. (see attached)
(2) what has the ugly window to do there;
the world is ugly sometimes. tryptich as the organ framing. explains the ugly light spot. (see attached)
(3) portrait framing would enhance the organ pipes, now they are cut somewhere in the middle.
not available as it was not to my liking. the pipe mouths are. the copper dents are. does not pay off without the sun illuminated church room.
[/quote]

Overall you have a penny in the right bucket - they could be better, but than there would be none and the organ go unnoticed for now.
Here you are:
2 - re-cut. do not like. background plays out too prosaic for my liking.
1 - re-cut 4/5 & 1/1. some more grain&noise surpression. could go with the 4/5th version.

-/-/-

MFloyd

• NG Supporter
  • My quest for the "perfect" speed blur
    • Adobe Portfolio
« Reply #292 on: October 27, 2016, 22:03:51 »
Much better 👍  I hope my comments didn't come over as being too blunt. Go on !
Γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Anthony

• NG Supporter
« Reply #293 on: October 27, 2016, 23:15:40 »
I really like §2, showing the organ in the context of the church.
Anthony Macaulay

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #294 on: October 28, 2016, 02:58:13 »

simato73

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #295 on: December 31, 2016, 20:44:59 »
Church of St Michael the Archangel, Shalfleet, Isle of Wight, England, on Christmas day 2016.
Simone Tomasi

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
« Reply #296 on: December 31, 2016, 20:55:10 »
Another nice one, depicting a "humble" parish organ. Curtains are typically English. Organists there have the possibility to dig into their noses or fumble their iPhones (or the page-turning, stop-drawing lady) during services.
Airy Magnien

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #297 on: December 31, 2016, 22:07:02 »
Simone: That IS a beauty!

Thomas G

• NG Supporter
  • lumofisk
« Reply #298 on: January 01, 2017, 01:12:29 »
Church of St Michael the Archangel, Shalfleet, Isle of Wight, England, on Christmas day 2016.
Nice. Technical appereance in a Normannic (?) church.
-/-/-

armando_m

• NG Supporter
  • Guadalajara México
    • http://armando-m.smugmug.com/
« Reply #299 on: January 01, 2017, 01:36:00 »
Organ at the Mexico city cathedral

there is actually 2 of them , one on each side of the main aisle
Armando Morales
D800, Nikon 1 V1, Fuji X-T3