Author Topic: Nikkor 58mm f/1.4 AFS The New Noct-Nikkor  (Read 73870 times)

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
Re: Nikkor 58mm f/1.4 AFS The New Noct-Nikkor
« Reply #210 on: March 07, 2021, 11:24:11 »
I found this one at German ebay advertised as "mint" at 900 Euros.....but look at the inner barrel....seems like some tiny bit of plastic is broken off?
How can this happen.....and this it not mint?
Looks like a non Nikon lens cap was used and caught the thin front plastic bezel. Not mint. Very common on some lens designs unfortunately.
The lens was designed for portraiture and the like, it has a lot of field curvature up close,,,
So, conclusion is, no lens does all,,,
I have currently also the AF-D 50mm f/1.4 Made in Japan version that I like a lot, compact and much faster AF ;)
Erik Lund

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #211 on: March 07, 2021, 12:56:03 »
Ok....the much plastic on the 58/1.4 AFS will probably still make the old 1.2 Noct the true classic :-)

I also noticed that the Sigma 50/1.4 Art lens.....which probably serve same purpose as 58/1.4.....are sold at about 500 euros used at ebay with Nikon F mount.
This could also be an option.....but as there are so many for sale could indicate that the lens has a problem....

For now I will live with the old 1.2 noct and the AFD 85/1.4 as "soft bokeh" fast lenses.....and the old 85/1.8 H-C is also quite good.

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY
« Reply #212 on: March 07, 2021, 13:27:59 »
i had the ART several years ago. its good as a general use lens for its fast AF but the bokeh quality is not nice, too many onions :o :o :o

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #213 on: March 07, 2021, 23:22:53 »
Cat portrait - close focus  f/1.4 on the D4s

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #214 on: March 20, 2021, 20:45:52 »
Spring in the Park

On the Nikon Z7

chambeshi

« Reply #215 on: March 22, 2021, 09:12:12 »
It very good to see this Thread kept alive. It is one of the best resources on the Neo-Noct (and Noct), as Richard Haw noted some years back here, but do check out the dedicated thread on FredMiranda. Think this review is included in the listed 'Neo-Noct Bibliography' on pg 7 above, but it's always stimulating to revisit.
https://50lux.com/2018/05/30/the-af-s-nikkor-58mm-f-1-4g-review-a-look-inside-my-photographic-heart/

I tend to have the 58 f1.4G on the D780, as its Z6 sensor works so well in Liveview. Although there are decided advantages of the EVF of a Zed with focus-peaking etc.

As for bokeh, you may be interested in these lab comparisons were reported by Marianne Oelund some years ago in a dpr thread discussing bokeh with Nikkor lenses, but the key images have since vanished from the original. I saved it for reference https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4031515?page=2#forum-post-58096324

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #216 on: March 22, 2021, 09:35:28 »
As for bokeh, you may be interested in these lab comparisons were reported by Marianne Oelund some years ago in a dpr thread discussing bokeh with Nikkor lenses, but the key images have since vanished from the original. I saved it for reference https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4031515?page=2#forum-post-58096324

Interesting results. I have noticed a trend towards smooth out of focus areas behind the subject but less so in front of it in newer Nikkors. I am not sure that this is a good trend as sometimes one needs to shoot through the bushes or introduce out-of-focus foreground elements into the composition.

chambeshi

« Reply #217 on: March 22, 2021, 09:45:10 »
Interesting results. I have noticed a trend towards smooth out of focus areas behind the subject but less so in front of it in newer Nikkors. I am not sure that this is a good trend as sometimes one needs to shoot through the bushes or introduce out-of-focus foreground elements into the composition.

This is good point, which I'm most familiar with some of the telephotos if one drills through intervening vegetation to (try and) focus on the subject's eye. Perhaps one they might be a longer telephoto with a Defocus Control ring to tighten up the blur (?) even if the lens in wide open or stopped down only a bit

EDIT:  the interview with the designers who compare the Neo-Noct to its well known siblings. Again these links are in this thread or another here:
https://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/interview/621449.html
https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ja&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fdc.watch.impress.co.jp%2Fdocs%2Fnews%2Finterview%2F20131108_621449.html

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #218 on: March 22, 2021, 09:48:10 »
Thanks for the info chambeshi.

It is possible to shoot through the foreground vegetation. Posted earlier in March 2021

chambeshi

« Reply #219 on: March 22, 2021, 10:08:06 »
Yes !

Very nice shot, thank you

chambeshi

« Reply #220 on: March 22, 2021, 10:14:05 »
The appeal and wearing characteristics of the older metal&glass Nikkors is legendary with their solid haptics and robustness. However there was discussion on this years back where the experienced photographers pointed out polycarbonate tends to absorb sudden shocks and impacts better than aluminum. I say this because 3 years ago I eventually found a Used 58 f1.4G in one of the surviving small camera shops near the British Museum in London. The owner explained he was only selling it to afford a new camera as he had dropped his D810 which was a write off, and this had been the lens he always used on the camera. And he assured me the lens was fine etc etc! I tested the lens as best I could in the circumstances and all seemed well.

To afford the unplanned purchase, the owner accepted a deposit but I only received the lens some months later - and on another continent. It was a shock to learn the bottom of the outer shell had a ~1'" hairline  crack extending toward the mount from the inner edge of the focusing ring, so the 2 pieces flexed apart. The crack bisests the label 'Nano Crystal...'. So yes a hard lesson, as I should have scrutinized the carapace of this lens more carefully but was more concerned about dust/fungi and if the AF worked etc.

This damage also suggests the NeoNoct was more than an intimate witness of the camera's death....  A check on the www for a cross section of the Neo-Noct revealed the damage probably did not extend / had not been transmitted too deeply to dislodge the glass elements etc. I repaired the crack with industrial Epoxy. This sealed the opening and has halt the crack from spreading with use. All's been well since. It suggests polycarbonate has its positives but a sharp bash to the rim of a plastic lens often shears off the filter housing along the threads. In contrast, a metal filter housing tends to dent or bend inwards, which, if not too severe, can be repaired by skilled hands.

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #221 on: March 22, 2021, 13:48:07 »
Thanks for the info chambeshi.

It is possible to shoot through the foreground vegetation. Posted earlier in March 2021
Yes,,, and in the middle top of the image the pronounced edge brightness of the out of focus highlights shown quite clearly.
Erik Lund

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #222 on: March 22, 2021, 13:51:48 »
It very good to see this Thread kept alive. It is one of the best resources on the Neo-Noct (and Noct), as Richard Haw noted some years back here, but do check out the dedicated thread on FredMiranda. Think this review is included in the listed 'Neo-Noct Bibliography' on pg 7 above, but it's always stimulating to revisit.
https://50lux.com/2018/05/30/the-af-s-nikkor-58mm-f-1-4g-review-a-look-inside-my-photographic-heart/

I tend to have the 58 f1.4G on the D780, as its Z6 sensor works so well in Liveview. Although there are decided advantages of the EVF of a Zed with focus-peaking etc.

THX, I remember these from Marianne.
I always felt that they seem to be showing an IMHO attenuated version of usual out of focus highlights. But interesting findings, I recall it was a very long thread ;)
Erik Lund

GraXXoR

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #223 on: April 23, 2021, 18:17:30 »
I got this lens last year when I saw a mint one drop at auction for $800... When it arrived, it had an FTZ mount attached.... but I don't have any Z gear yet. I'm waiting for the Z9 to arrive.
But I digress.

The 58 1.4G is a stunning lens. It's a lot sharper than many online reviewers seem to make it out to be, even at 1.4G it can deliver the goods with incredible bokeh and fantastic performance at 60cm.

It's not macro by a long shot, but it does render beautifully creamy images with sharpness that matches the 16MP sensors in the D4, Df. (Shochu bottle shot)

Just for fun I tried it on my "new" V2 with an FT1 adapter.
It works as an interesting mid telephoto (about 150mm equiv).  (Street shot).
I hope I'm not breaking any forum regulations, I think I have posted the street shot somewhere on these forums before...

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #224 on: April 23, 2021, 18:33:26 »
You got a 58mm 1.4g and a ftz for 800 dollars?  :o