Author Topic: Creative Cloud 2018 out!!!  (Read 24643 times)

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: Creative Cloud 2018 out!!!
« Reply #60 on: October 23, 2017, 20:14:31 »
Surely one would cull images from storage on the Cloud that no longer require instant access from anywhere and simply keep back-ups of those old or secondary images on off-line HDs?

Yes, of course. But if it is as some say that "Classic" in Lightroom Classic means "end-of-life" and will be replaced by the new Lightroom CC, then such an option might not be available (from Adobe) in the future. 

Use of smart previews in the cloud and editing using those is one thing of course and it may be very practical to some users. However, this doesn't work for me because I use one catalog per project and I might have different catalogs on different computers.  If Adobe in the future allows more selective syncing (where images are not restricted to one catalog but can be any images anywhere) and if the original images can be downloaded with edits to a LR Classic catalogue on another computer then this is something I could use.  At present you can upload images from any device using Lightroom CC but it is not clear to me how the originals will be recovered from the cloud, to continue editing using tools that permit printing etc. I do know that Lightroom CC allows an image to be opened in Photoshop CC and that's all good but what if I want a group of images, original NEFs and edit information to be downloaded for local storage and removed from the cloud?

Anyway, I do believe Adobe is trying to provide an improved service for photographers. However, always when there is a new major release, a lot of details are ... cloudy, to say the least.  :)

Ann

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Photographs by Ann Shelbourne
« Reply #61 on: October 23, 2017, 20:40:13 »
>>>>>
But if it is as some say that "Classic" in Lightroom Classic means "end-of-life" and will be replaced by the new Lightroom CC >>>>

I am certain (and with some knowledge!) that this is utter, uninformed nonsense.

The naming of "Classic" was probably a mistake but was probably meant to convey "the Lr which you are accustomed to".

It is named "Classic" — no mention of "Legacy"!

Lr CC is a complete rethink of the earlier Lr Mobile: meaning that you can now use the Cloud as your Back-up (or as your HD) on which to store full-resolution images if you want to.

People who are travelling with just a Laptop might find this new Cloud Service extremely helpful and much more efficient than Dropbox.

Bent Hjarbo

• NG Supporter
  • Hvidovre, Denmark
    • Hjarbos hjemmeside
« Reply #62 on: October 23, 2017, 20:41:52 »
The problem is that Lightroom is unable to access images on network drives and that means I have to transfer the images on local drives for editing (after making space by moving some images to NAS). In practice I have the catalogs stored with the images.

I have all My image files on a NAS server, and the catalogue on the local HD, so I wonder why you say that LR is unable to access files on a network drive?
Using LR Classic CC.
/Bent

Ann

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #63 on: October 23, 2017, 20:47:35 »
Sorry, it double-posted!

The Server this end or NG's server seems to be in melt-down at the moment

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #64 on: October 23, 2017, 21:06:27 »
I have all My image files on a NAS server, and the catalogue on the local HD, so I wonder why you say that LR is unable to access files on a network drive?
Using LR Classic CC.
/Bent

Hmm. Ok, it may be that it's not able to read a catalogue which is on NAS but the files themselves can be. However, then the information that governs the edits are in a physically different drive from the images themselves. If I make a copy of the image directory and want the edits to go with it for use on a different computer etc. do I also copy the catalog even though it includes images from different physical drives?

CS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #65 on: October 23, 2017, 21:13:55 »
>>>>>
But if it is as some say that "Classic" in Lightroom Classic means "end-of-life" and will be replaced by the new Lightroom CC >>>>

I am certain (and with some knowledge!) that this is utter, uninformed nonsense.

The naming of "Classic" was probably a mistake but was probably meant to convey "the Lr which you are accustomed to".

It is named "Classic" — no mention of "Legacy"!

Lr CC is a complete rethink of the earlier Lr Mobile: meaning that you can now use the Cloud as your Back-up (or as your HD) on which to store full-resolution images if you want to.

People who are travelling with just a Laptop might find this new Cloud Service extremely helpful and much more efficient than Dropbox.

My CC window offers me Lightroom CC as an install and Lightroom Classic as an upgrade. What if I did both? Would I have 2 separate apps, and what are the ramifications of that?

The first word I saw about the new apps was an article on either Macworld or Appleinsider, that said CC was lacking many of the features of Classic. It claimed that some of those features will be added to CC in the future, but, no word on which features or when in the future we could expect them.
Carl

MFloyd

• NG Member
  • My quest for the "perfect" speed blur
    • Adobe Portfolio
« Reply #66 on: October 23, 2017, 22:09:49 »
Carl, I installed both. The latter, Lr CC, with some reluctance, imagining that this would initiate the “big cloud migration” but this didn’t happen. However, you should have a look at the Sensei search engine (you have it also in the new Ps 2018); although not perfect yet; I tried “car accident” although not keyworded, Sensei was able to find the pictures (but not all) with a car accident into 50’000 pictures.  Waw !
Γνῶθι σεαυτόν

charlie

• NG Member
« Reply #67 on: October 23, 2017, 22:14:54 »
Hmm. Ok, it may be that it's not able to read a catalogue which is on NAS but the files themselves can be. However, then the information that governs the edits are in a physically different drive from the images themselves. If I make a copy of the image directory and want the edits to go with it for use on a different computer etc. do I also copy the catalog even though it includes images from different physical drives?

I've had my catalog (100k+ images) on a different drive than the image drives for years. From what I understand Lightroom supposedly runs faster this way, never did a comparison.

So yes, copying the catalog will transfer the edits and the directory. If an image drive is not hooked up to the computer it will be greyed out but you may still be able to navigate the file directory depending on what previews you have stored of the images. What I'll often do when transferring specific files from one machine to another is use the "export as catalog" and then click the "build/include smart previews" option. Then "import from another catalog" on the other machine. This will transfer all edits you've made and you do not need to transfer the actual image files to do so. And it works between Mac & PC.

CS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #68 on: October 23, 2017, 22:58:59 »
Carl, I installed both. The latter, Lr CC, with some reluctance, imagining that this would initiate the “big cloud migration” but this didn’t happen. However, you should have a look at the Sensei searche engine (you have it also in the new Ps 2018); although nit perfect yet; I tried “car accident” although not keyworded, Sensei was able to find the pictures (but not all) with a car accident into 50’000 pictures.  Waw !

Thanks, Christian. I have a lot to lean about 2 different versions, and how that works on my Macs, so I have not yet done anything with either of them. The Ps upgrade is on pause too, and I 'm still waiting for the High sierra .1 update before I upgrade to it. A lot of new stuff coming at me all at once.

Can't use plug-ins on Lr CC I understand, so no switching images back and forth between editors, at least for now.
Carl

Ann

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #69 on: October 23, 2017, 23:26:26 »
>>>>
The first word I saw about the new apps was an article on either Macworld or Appleinsider, that said CC was lacking many of the features of Classic. It claimed that some of those features will be added to CC in the future, but, no word on which features or when in the future we could expect them. >>>

The authors of those articles (which I have not read) appear to be somewhat mis-informed.

It is not a matter of one Lr having features that the other one does not: it is simply that these are two very different programs and are designed for entirely different purposes although they do integrate very effectively with each other.

Lr CC was designed to be compact and to use a simplified UI in order to permit editing on devices which don't have separate keyboards.

You use Lr Classic CC for doing your editing and cataloguing (just as you did previously with Lr CC 2015 or CS6) and you can choose to Sync some of your Collections to the Cloud if you wish to.

Lr CC replaces the old Lr Mobile with a far more powerful application.
This one is meant for working directly with the Cloud and can be used either to store full resolution images on the Cloud or to merely synchronise the metadata and a Smart Preview as a tiny 1 mb file on the Cloud for sharing or for viewing from anywhere.

Lr Classic CC  is for computer/desktop editing, cataloguing and filing.

Lr CC is for Internet work. It has additional modules which you install on all your Devices (iPads, Smart phones etc.) so that you can communicate between your Lr Cloud CC (on your desktop or laptop); all of your Devices; and your file-storage on the Cloud as well.

The Subscription entitles you to install both programs and many people will find it useful to do that.

This may have changed, but I believe that someone who has not previously had a subscription can "subscribe" and get full downloading privileges.

If you later decide that a subscription is not for you; and choose to cancel before 30 days have elapsed; I believe that Adobe will credit your Credit Card for the monthly installment which you paid but do check with Customer Support to get the current details about this.

(Those who have still been using CS6 might want to check this out.)

CS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #70 on: October 23, 2017, 23:54:10 »
Thanks, Ann. I've had CC since it began, but I don't know that I would get much use out of the new app. I never edit on my iPad or iPhone, jut my desktop Macs, so it appears that I'm more a candidate to continue with Classic CC.

Now, it's confession time. I swear old age has not been kind to me. Anyway, my source for info wasn't from a magazine after all, it came in to my inbox from Victoria Bampton. She was the pointing out the differences and missing features. Here's a link to what she offered, http://tinyurl.com/y7cap979.
Carl

Ann

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #71 on: October 24, 2017, 01:36:29 »
Victoria is one person who does know their stuff where Lightroom (all versions since its inception!) is concerned.

The on-line Blogs? Not so much!!

If you have no need for internet access to your images, there is no necessity to install Lr CC — although you might want to play with it a bit just to see what it does.

Uninstalling it again takes only a few seconds anyway.

These are two very different programs for different purposes so I wouldn't construe items as "missing" from a a particular version but more a question of it not being appropriate for that version.
That is why many people will install both Classic and Lr CC as well — so that they can use the right version for the task which they need to do.

Ann

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #72 on: October 24, 2017, 05:11:54 »
The Sensei Search is remarkable but can also be amusing.

I asked it to find "Rhino" (I have a lot of photographs of them — both Black and White Rhinos).

Search found them and displayed them almost instantly; but it got a bit confused and displayed Hippos and Cape Buffaloes as well.

Then I asked for Black Rhinos and Search said it found only a Black Hole!

I believe that the Sensei technology actually learns as you you use it so it will be interesting to see if learns to distinguish between different kinds of Rhinos and not to get confused by Hippos who have been rolling in black mud.

charlie

• NG Member
« Reply #73 on: October 24, 2017, 08:24:53 »
If I make a Collection "Public", I receive a separate URL for that Catalogue which I can "Share" with only those who I want to be able to see those Photographs which are then shown as being in an Album.

I can also make images downloadable or not; and the Viewer can Rate them and add comments about individual images.

I've got a question maybe you can help me with. I just sync'd a collection from Classic LR to the cloud and made the collection public so it is a web gallery with a link. I logged out of adobe and pasted in the link so I could see the web gallery as a client would view it. Once I am logged out I am unable to "like" or make a comment on any images so a client would be unable to make selections or notes that are sync'd to the collection.

Am I missing something? Can only Adobe CC subscribers interact with a web gallery?

MFloyd

• NG Member
  • My quest for the "perfect" speed blur
    • Adobe Portfolio
« Reply #74 on: October 24, 2017, 09:40:11 »
Charlie, the answer is already in Ann’s quote: by default, galleries are “view only” up to you to decide if they can be downloaded or allowed for comments.
Γνῶθι σεαυτόν