Author Topic: Creative Cloud 2018 out!!!  (Read 24630 times)

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
Re: Creative Cloud 2018 out!!!
« Reply #75 on: October 24, 2017, 11:49:13 »
No.  Adobe's model is Adobe makes more money and does not pay tax.  Adobe claims it has an effective tax rate of about 26%, but that is based on a US accounting requirement to include as a liability the tax they would owe on funds "permanently re-invested" overseas if those funds were repatriated to the US.  In fact, in 2012 Adobe's tax rate was 6.9% (https://www.ft.com/content/6273646e-fb77-11e2-8650-00144feabdc0?mhq5j=e6).

Adobe has, in the past, been careless about security.  That creates two issues: (1) records of software subscribers are an attractive target for hackers because the personal data and credit card numbers are up-to-date, and (2) if your images are on the cloud and your account is compromised ransomware attacks are a threat.  It would not only be the threat of losing images, but the threat of liability for illegal use of images - privacy breaches, eg. 

Great. Uninstall Ad0be Software and you are done. No big deal!
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #76 on: October 24, 2017, 11:57:59 »

The thing is that nothing is permanent in a changeable and changing world.

It is precisely because nothing is permanent, that we need perpetual licenses.

That is why we need software that can be run with no time limit and with no need for subscriptions.

That is precisely why we need and should demand software that is user-controlled, that means copyable and re-installable on compatible hardware without any ties to the manufacturer and no need for "activation" after the acquisition of the license.

I do not want to live forever and I do not want outdated hardware and software.

Life is a "Dynamic equilibrum" ... If you want to grab and fixate your luck it will break. See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_equilibrium

Savour life while it is there, do not hold on things that pass. I pass you pass but we can have fun together before we die.

Think of software "from the tap" as "beer from the tap" ...you will pay per glass!

Next drink is on me!
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #77 on: October 24, 2017, 12:01:01 »
Here is a link to an interview with Adobe.

https://www.dpreview.com/videos/5816515871/interview-adobe-will-absolutely-continue-investing-in-lightroom-classic

They say that you should choose one or the other (LR CC or LR Classic). But also that one can get the images from the cloud to LR Classic with edits, as I have found. But to me it is unclear if it just syncs the smart previews from the cloud or if the NEF images are also included locally in such a case, and if the latter, where they are stored. I'll try to figure this out.

charlie

• NG Member
« Reply #78 on: October 24, 2017, 18:02:34 »
Charlie, the answer is already in Ann’s quote: by default, galleries are “view only” up to you to decide if they can be downloaded or allowed for comments.

I get that by default they are private and view only. However once they are made public and the link is shared you must be signed in to 'like' a picture or comment on the picture, as far as I can tell anyway. And maybe this is because your name is attached to the 'likes' and comments as with social media interactions. The only options I can find for the gallery settings are in the attached screen grab, I see no option for turning on or off comments. If 'allow downloads' is turned on the images can be downloaded whether you are signed in or not.

EDIT: Having an Adobe ID is enough and being a subscriber is not necessary.

EDIT: I'm trying to find a way to make client selects sync to my catalog so they do not have to make a list of file names, looks like they will need an Adobe ID to do this.

Ann

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Photographs by Ann Shelbourne
« Reply #79 on: October 25, 2017, 17:38:29 »
I have been experimenting (fairly extensively!) over the past few days.

These are my notes — which may be useful to others:

Lightroom Classic CC

Create Collections in Lr Classic CC; right-click on the name of each Collection and Sync them to the Cloud.

Click in Top Bar to Make Public; then click on the generated URL (minute text next to the Make Public Button).

The Collection will open in your Web Browser (providing that you have installed Lr CC on your computer).

Click on any thumbnail to see the hidden icons for commenting, liking, or connecting to Facebook Etc.

Click on the Speech icon Bottom left corner for boxes for commenting and liking

———

Lightroom CC

(For Internet/Cloud Storage work this is far faster, easier and more efficient than using Classic)

Launch Lr CC and click on the Laundry-basket (?!) icon in the left margin;
All of your Synced Collections should be listed as Albums.

Double click one of your “Collections” (now an Album) to open it

Some Basic editing tools are available if you need them at this stage, and so are Rating stars, key-wording and viewing-order controls.

To publish the Album for viewing by others, Control Click on the Album’s name and choose view Share Album;

The Collection will open in your Web Browser (providing that you have installed Lr CC on your computer or on your devices.).

Click on any thumbnail to see the hidden icons for commenting, liking, or connecting to Facebook Etc.

Click on the Speech icon (in bottom left corner) for boxes for commenting and liking.

Adobe could have made this much easier to understand and use with a more clearly signposted work-flow and with labelled buttons instead of confusing icons which hide themselves (Cheshire Cat style!) in margins.

You can make Albums from inside Lr CC: Just create a new Album and drag-drop images from your Images folder into the Album.
Add, or remove, images at any time in the future.

--------

And you were absolutely right when you said people needed to be signed in to post comments. I think that registering for an Adobe ID is sufficient — they don't need to be a Subscriber.

Lr CC may work without an Adobe ID for people whose clients have social networking memberships (like Facebook and Google) but I don't use them so I can’t test that.

CS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #80 on: October 25, 2017, 19:03:12 »

Adobe could have made this much easier to understand and use with a more clearly signposted work-flow and with labelled buttons instead of confusing icons which hide themselves (Cheshire Cat style!) in margins.

--------

And you were absolutely right when you said people needed to be signed in to post comments. I think that registering for an Adobe ID is sufficient — they don't need to be a Subscriber.

Lr CC may work without an Adobe ID for people whose clients have social networking memberships (like Facebook and Google) but I don't use them so I can’t test that.

I certainly agree, anyone smart enough to create Lr ought to be smart enough to make the UI easier to navigate.

The current trend for many companies to rely on Facebook, etc, as the sole location(s) of info for interested parties cuts out the very large portion of people that don't use social media, starting with you and me. It does not appear to me to be the best marketing idea to force clients to get an Adobe ID to view images. As a client, I for one, would reject that demand out of hand.
Carl

Ann

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #81 on: October 25, 2017, 19:17:17 »
Anyone to whom you send the URL can see the images — even people without an Adobe ID.

It's just that they won't be able to post comments directly on the page and would have to communicate their comments separately (via email or phone) to the owner of the Album.

Getting an Adobe ID is no big deal anyway: they just need to have one's contact details — like every other on-line Service Provider does.

charlie

• NG Member
« Reply #82 on: October 25, 2017, 21:24:06 »
The current trend for many companies to rely on Facebook, etc, as the sole location(s) of info for interested parties cuts out the very large portion of people that don't use social media, starting with you and me. It does not appear to me to be the best marketing idea to force clients to get an Adobe ID to view images. As a client, I for one, would reject that demand out of hand.

Sometimes a shoot consists of thousands of images and there are hundreds of selects that the client will need to make. The ability to click a button that syncs with the photographers catalog and make notes directly on the image as opposed to writing down notes and making a list of file names that gets emailed to the photographer is something that I think most clients will welcome. It is streamlined, it saves time & money. 

Ann

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #83 on: October 25, 2017, 21:46:53 »
Check and see if Facebook lets them see, and rate, the images?

I suspect that FB members can sign-into FB and have access to the Comments section of the Gallery/Album without any need for an Adobe ID?

Probably Google members can sign-in with their Google ID as well?

My guess is that the ID sign-in was instigated for the security of the Gallery-owner.

I can't test this because I have always adamantly refused to join any Social Media because I would undoubtedly manage to offend someone because I hadn't commented favourably on their wallpaper!

CS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #84 on: October 25, 2017, 22:21:32 »
I stand corrected, thanks for the info.

But, I'm not doing Facebook, etc.    ;)
Carl

charlie

• NG Member
« Reply #85 on: October 25, 2017, 22:43:01 »
I tried using both Facebook and Google to sign in. It appears that Adobe finds the email address associated with Facebook/Google then redirects to the Adobe ID sign in page. If the email already has an Adobe ID it connects the accounts, not sure what that entails as I didn't do it, but it signs you in. If the email does not already have an Adobe ID associated with it they ask for your birthdate and then you are signed in and can comment and such, I believe with out having an adobe id.

charlie

• NG Member
« Reply #86 on: October 25, 2017, 23:34:14 »
So far what I've found pretty much aligns with Ann.

Some additional comment...

When uploading images into LR CC the Original Image files (NEFs, JPGs, etc) are uploaded to the cloud. I have not been able to find a way to turn this off and make LR CC only upload smart previews. There is also a web version of LR CC where seemingly all of the functionality of the program can ben made through a web browser. It can be accessed at Help > Lightroom CC for Web

When using LR Classic only smart previews are uploaded to the cloud and I have not been able to find an option for uploading the original files, not that I'd want to.

Whichever version of LR is used for uploading to the cloud, the images can be seen in both LR CC and LR Classic. 

Web galleries are an excellent use for client proofing that will sync directly to your catalog streamlining the process for both the client and photographer. That said if comments and 'Likes' have been made to an image in a web gallery I can see that info in LR Classic but I can not see it in LR CC. However I can see it in LR CC for web. I am also unable to locate the "Album Settings" in LR CC but it is available in LR CC for web. I suspect these are bugs as I was able to access Album Settings in LR CC yesterday. 

Seeings how I prefer to have only smart previews sync'd to the cloud I do not see myself using LR CC for anything more than culling images on my laptop when I am away from my desktop which has my primary catalog running on LR Classic.

Ann

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #87 on: October 26, 2017, 00:44:01 »
When uploading images into LR CC the Original Image files (NEFs, JPGs, etc) are uploaded to the cloud. I have not been able to find a way to turn this off and make LR CC only upload smart previews. There is also a web version of LR CC where seemingly all of the functionality of the program can be made through a web browser. It can be accessed at Help > Lightroom CC for Web

You can choose (via the Prefs > Local Storage) in Lr CC whether you want to upload the Original to the Cloud or just a "Smart Preview Only" and keep the original only "locally".
There is a Cheshire-cat Blue button (in the bottom right-hand corner at the bottom of the Info Panel/Syn Status)

When using LR Classic only smart previews are uploaded to the cloud and I have not been able to find an option for uploading the original files, not that I'd want to.
That is correct. Classic does not upload the original file —only a SmartPreview+metadata.

Whichever version of LR is used for uploading to the cloud, the images can be seen in both LR CC and LR Classic.
Correct!

Web galleries are an excellent use for client proofing that will sync directly to your catalog streamlining the process for both the client and photographer. That said if comments and 'Likes' have been made to an image in a web gallery I can see that info in LR Classic but I can not see it in LR CC.

I am sure that is by Design. All of your assets (both photos and Albums) are in full view in Lr CC and you wouldn't want casual visitors being able to meddle with your files?! The Link gives them access only to the Browser version so they can't dig around in your private assets.

However I can see it in LR CC for web. I am also unable to locate the "Album Settings" in LR CC but it is available in LR CC for web. I suspect these are bugs as I was able to access Album Settings in LR CC yesterday.

Isn't this part of the same "privacy" thing?
Surely only the owner of the Device should have access into their own files through LC CC for Web?
Everyone else gets only Web Browser access to a publicly viewable area through the URL Link.

The Album Settings Panel is hidden under the Laundry-basket icon.
(I think the designer of the icon means it to look like a filing cabinet?!)

Screen shot showing location of Sync Status:

charlie

• NG Member
« Reply #88 on: October 26, 2017, 01:37:45 »
You can choose (via the Prefs > Local Storage) in Lr CC whether you want to upload the Original to the Cloud or just a "Smart Preview Only" and keep the original only "locally".
There is a Cheshire-cat Blue button (in the bottom right-hand corner at the bottom of the Info Panel/Syn Status)

My Local Storage preference does not show a smart preview only option, just the 'store a copy of ALL originals locally' as seen in the screen shot attachment below. And whether that is turned on or off I get the same display in the sync status of the info panel, original file is local and in the cloud (see right side of first attachment).

I am sure that is by Design. All of your assets (both photos and Albums) are in full view in Lr CC and you wouldn't want casual visitors being able to meddle with your files?! The Link gives them access only to the Browser version so they can't dig around in your private assets.

Right, visitors don't have access to my assets in LR CC or LR CC for web, nor would I want them to. They only have access to the web galleries I make and share with them. But if they make a comment in that web gallery I can not see that comment in my LR CC, I can only see it in the web gallery itself or in LR Classic.

The Album Settings Panel is hidden under the Laundry-basket icon.

They seem to have disappeared from mine? See left side of second screen shot. The right side is the LR CC for web and the little cog to the right of "San Diego" is the Album Settings. I can't seem to locate that in LR CC.

Ann

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #89 on: October 26, 2017, 01:59:24 »
I am very puzzled by this but wonder if could have anything to do with Migrating your Catalogue to Lr CC from Lr?

I never Migrated because doing so seemed to imply that you wanted access to full storage and backup in the Cloud?

If that is the reason for the discrepancy between what we are both seeing, I don't know how one "un-Migrates".

I will see what I can find out but I suspect that you may have to call Customer Service to ask for a reset.

One way around it may be to uninstall and then re-install Lr CC?