Author Topic: Cartierheide landscapes  (Read 19112 times)

HCS

• NG Supporter
  • The Netherlands
Cartierheide landscapes
« on: May 29, 2017, 22:39:55 »
Went out just before sunset and tried to get some interesting pictures from a place nearby. It's difficult to get inspired by places you know well, at least that's what i think.

First two images have been shot from nearly the same spot, just turned around for different images. The small pond/brook is actually used by some cows ("wild" cows) for drinking. The last one effectively looking back at the first spot (you can't see it, it's behind the distant tree line).

Let me know whether you like the images or what you think could be improved. Thanks
Hans Cremers

HCS

• NG Supporter
  • The Netherlands
Re: Cartierheide landscapes
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2020, 14:07:00 »
Reviving this thread, even though it never got traction. I intend to keep this updated once in a while, like the very nice thread by John Geerts about the Regteheide (which is a different place than this one, link: https://nikongear.net/revival/index.php?topic=806.msg6819#msg6819).

There were some wild fires lately and some of the area got burnt. Fortunately not (by a long mile) as severe as some other wild fires around the world, yet quite some damage to this little nature park. Some images to show the scorched earth and the vigilance of nature coming back up again. These were shot around the same area as the first 2 pictures that started this topic.

Hans Cremers

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2020, 14:52:55 »
Hans, thanks for the bump to your 2017 postings.  I am enjoying these images.
Hugh Gunn

Thomas Stellwag

• NG Supporter
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2020, 15:01:58 »
Hans, thanks for the bump to your 2017 postings.  I am enjoying these images.

+1

I like especially the 3rd one with the white grass
Thomas Stellwag

HCS

• NG Supporter
  • The Netherlands
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2020, 16:08:38 »
Thank you Hugh and Thomas. I'm glad you like them.

Once in a while, my wife let's me out and then i go to this area  :D

I visit it quite often, but usually without camera. I'll keep this thread alive, but postings may be infrequent.
Hans Cremers

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2020, 16:10:48 »
Hans: lovely scene and light and pictures. Well worth a visit that place
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

HCS

• NG Supporter
  • The Netherlands
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2020, 16:12:46 »
Thanks Frank.

It's true that it is worth visiting and i do. I find it very hard, however, to "create" compelling photos here, as the environment is quite cluttered (forest area) or empty (heather area).
Hans Cremers

Lars Hansen

• NG Member
  • Zealand, Denmark
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2020, 18:46:20 »
Really great series - one more thanks for the bump!

Like you I also enjoy John Geerts' series about Regteheide.

HCS

• NG Supporter
  • The Netherlands
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2020, 19:17:50 »
Really great series - one more thanks for the bump!

Like you I also enjoy John Geerts' series about Regteheide.

Thank you Lars, much appreciated.

And yes, i do appreciate John's series about Regteheide, perhaps because much of it looks like much of the Cartierheide  ;)
Hans Cremers

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2020, 07:13:41 »
Very nice series Hans.   It's always difficult to show a nature area when the earth is flat ;)

Fons Baerken

• NG Supporter
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/fonsbaerken/
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2020, 08:52:39 »
Very nice series Hans.   It's always difficult to show a nature area when the earth is flat ;)

Indeed very nice +1

rosko

• Homo erectus manualfocus
  • NG Supporter
  • France/Uk
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2020, 11:44:59 »
I really like this series ! :D

3 years old thread which I never saw. Good idea to post it again and completing with new shots.

I think the fires might be just maintenance in order to limit Gorce invasion and so get more grass for cattle.

This is an annual practice here in the New Forest (South England) where horses, donkeys, cow are free.

I agree with John and Fons about getting nice images on a flat landscape.

Cheers, Francis.
Francis Devrainne

HCS

• NG Supporter
  • The Netherlands
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2020, 13:15:19 »
Thanks John, Fons and Francis! I really appreciate you gentlemen stopping by and commenting.

@John: indeed, the absence of pittoreske buildings, or grand vistas sometimes makes things more challenging.

@Francis: these were actual wild fires, not controlled ones to invoke nature renewal, even though nature doesn't care about that and rejuvinates regardless.

Thanks again!
Hans Cremers

PeterN

• NG Member
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2020, 13:42:35 »
I am glad you revived the series, Hans. It must be a wonderful place to walk around without people.

My favourites are the last one in the first series and the second one in your second series. That second one is almost Vermeer-like with the clouds and the sun on the tree. The branches in the foreground are nice leading lines to the tree too. Great catch!
Peter

HCS

• NG Supporter
  • The Netherlands
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2020, 21:57:30 »
I am glad you revived the series, Hans. It must be a wonderful place to walk around without people.

My favourites are the last one in the first series and the second one in your second series. That second one is almost Vermeer-like with the clouds and the sun on the tree. The branches in the foreground are nice leading lines to the tree too. Great catch!

Thanks Peter, i really appreciate that.

It indeed is really nice without (or at least much less) people out. The place is quite small and can feel crowded really quickly. Usually, i'd like to go there for sunrise. Also way less people  ;D
Hans Cremers