Author Topic: Where is Nikon heading?  (Read 52216 times)

bjornthun

Re: Where is Nikon heading?
« Reply #45 on: January 27, 2017, 18:43:50 »
Well, wrt. lower end DSLR sales I just heard that neither Canon's or Nikon's line sell much.
According to CIPA figures lens sales are split abou 50/50 between 35mm format and sub-35mm formats. Canon and Nikon have a share each in both parts.

ArendV

• NG Member
  • The Netherlands
    • flickr
« Reply #46 on: January 27, 2017, 19:05:07 »
Some food for thought for all the Fuji lovers on this forum.
https://petapixel.com/2017/01/27/x-trans-promise-problem/
Arend

John Koerner

« Reply #47 on: January 27, 2017, 19:30:44 »
As usual these type of discussions tend to end up in defending personal choices in camera gear.

Well, that is to be expected.

People tend to put their money where their preferences are, do they not?

Looking at where Nikon is now I am perfectly happy with their offer in camera's and lenses at different sizes and capabilities.

Agree. Their offerings for both are at the top of the heap, quality-wise.

If you go to LenScore, Nikon makes 4 out of the Top 10 of the very best prime lenses ... while Zeiss only makes 2, Leica only 2, Canon only 2.

If you look deeper, Nikon makes 9 of the Top 20 prime lenses ... while Canon makes 6, Zeiss makes 3, and Leica stays put at 2.

If you go to SenScore, Nikon has 6 out of the Top 10 Full-Frame Cameras, Sony has 3, and Canon only 1.

If you look at the Top 10 APS-Cs, Nikon makes the Top 5 in a row, with Pentax making 3 and Sony only having 2 (and the D500 isn't even in their database yet).

Nikon's D500 just won DPReview's best over all "high-end camera" award for 2016 ... and their "best overall product, period" award as well.

But we cannot deny Nikon is losing marketshare vs. its competitors and will have to change its roadmap - especially at the lower end - to be successful in future.

Nikon already is successful ... they may not be "the biggest" or "the most profitable" ... but they are the leader in top-shelf quality products in many categories.

I disagree with you as to low-end cameras; I think Nikon needs to DUMP the low-end market altogether. It is a loser market, period, in the age of "badass cell phone cameras."

They have all the technology in house to be competitive and bend the trend. And mirrorless will not be the only future, but certainly a big part of it.

Their technology already has Nikon at the top, in quite a few categories ... and they are far and away at the top in AF tech too.

I do agree, they should enter the top-shelf mirrorless marketplace.

MFloyd

• NG Member
  • My quest for the "perfect" speed blur
    • Adobe Portfolio
« Reply #48 on: January 27, 2017, 20:51:25 »
Arend. Thank you 😊 very interesting article.

John, you are one of the few referring to LenScore. Definitely my preferred.
http://www.lenscore.org
Γνῶθι σεαυτόν

MILLIREHM

• NG Supporter
  • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #49 on: January 27, 2017, 21:08:24 »
I like lenscore. Shows that my choice could not be too bad.
Dont weigh tests too much though.
Wolfgang Rehm

stenrasmussen

« Reply #50 on: January 27, 2017, 21:14:32 »
Scores on resolution etc is but one side of optics.

John Koerner

« Reply #51 on: January 27, 2017, 21:19:49 »
Scores on resolution etc is but one side of optics.

Huh? "But one side"  :o

If you actually take the time to look, you will see LenScore measures Resolving Power, Contrast, Color Transmission, Bokeh, Distortion, Light Falloff, Flare, Lateral Chromatic Aberration, and Longitudinal CA ...

Each category can be measured and compared individually ... with the "LenScore" being the sum-total quotient across the board.

What else do you want? ::)

John Koerner

« Reply #52 on: January 27, 2017, 21:33:01 »
John, you are one of the few referring to LenScore. Definitely my preferred.
http://www.lenscore.org

Mine as well.

I like the way they measure lenses (all through the same sensor), and the way they categorize everything is handy so a person can see the marks in the categories most important to them (resolution, bokeh, ca, etc.)

stenrasmussen

« Reply #53 on: January 27, 2017, 22:03:35 »
Huh? "But one side"  :o

If you actually take the time to look, you will see LenScore measures Resolving Power, Contrast, Color Transmission, Bokeh, Distortion, Light Falloff, Flare, Lateral Chromatic Aberration, and Longitudinal CA ...

Each category can be measured and compared individually ... with the "LenScore" being the sum-total quotient across the board.

What else do you want? ::)
The housing, handling, appearance, price, build...

John Koerner

« Reply #54 on: January 27, 2017, 22:15:40 »
The housing, handling, appearance, price, build...

"Appearance" can be seen with any photographs online.
(For that matter, the photos of each lens are also provided on LenScore.)

"Price" is easily found everywhere online  ::)

"Build quality, housing, and handling" are semi-objective, mostly subjective considerations which are also available, virtually everywhere, via blogs, vendors, and columns, etc. ... none of which have the qualitative resources of LenScore.

It seems like you've never actually gone through this site, to understand it's function, and/or that you're nitpicking just to nitpick. this is the kind of statements we urge contributors to avoid.

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #55 on: January 27, 2017, 22:17:33 »
In addition to the obvious aspects mentioned by Sten, there is the fact that a lot of numbers each of which might be informative, when taken together needs a dimensional reduction in order for the human mind to grasp and compare. Doing so means information is lost again and one might end up with a metric of little importance.  This is  quite familiar to scientists in most fields of research.

stenrasmussen

« Reply #56 on: January 27, 2017, 22:42:38 »
"Appearance" can be seen with any photographs online.
(For that matter, the photos of each lens are also provided on LenScore.)

"Price" is easily found everywhere online  ::)

"Build quality, housing, and handling" are semi-objective, mostly subjective considerations which are also available, virtually everywhere, via blogs, vendors, and columns, etc. ... none of which have the qualitative resources of LenScore.

It seems like you've never actually gone through this site, to understand it's function, and/or that you're nitpicking just to nitpick. this is the kind of statements we urge contributors to avoid.

No I am sure you are right.

Anthony

• NG Supporter
« Reply #57 on: January 28, 2017, 00:05:48 »
Some food for thought for all the Fuji lovers on this forum.
https://petapixel.com/2017/01/27/x-trans-promise-problem/

Just another blogger seeking clicks.

"And recently most manufacturers have ditched the AA filters on their Bayer sensors"

Most? Ditched?  Really?
Anthony Macaulay

ArendV

• NG Member
  • The Netherlands
    • flickr
« Reply #58 on: January 28, 2017, 00:15:48 »
With the increase in pixeldensity the AA filter is indeed gradually disappearing.

I guess you have no counterarguments on what he is really talking about.....
Arend

stenrasmussen

« Reply #59 on: January 28, 2017, 08:42:11 »
I read the article and yes, it is possible to provoke trouble from the X-trans but so can be done with every technology (ref. the dynamic range discussion, raw converters, thickness of the low-pass filter, stabilisation, 12- or 14-bit, etc). What really matters is: If it floats your boat it is more than good enough. I love (and still own) Nikon gear, but for now Fuji suits me best.