Author Topic: Nikon D2H  (Read 6442 times)

PKS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Nikon D2H
« on: January 06, 2017, 03:05:56 »
A few months into my photography endeavor so an amateur in every sense. I have been using a Nikkormat FTN as my first camera with BW film. I just purchased a Nikon D2h in near mint condition as my first digital camera.

A couple of questions for those who have used this machine. I know its old. The files are small and I am not a professional nor am I savvy with software or computers. There are many menu options…. I have set it up and kept default settings. Using much like my Nikkormat. Adjust ISO, Shutter and Aperture. Keeping on auto white balance for now.

What affect will the in camera settings have on a jpeg file? Same as a raw file? I know a raw file can be processed where a jpeg is essentially processed in camera. So…adjusting the in camera setting will have no affect on a raw file?

Lastly for now. I have 14 days to play with this camera before I can return it. I like the feel of it in my hands and it is incredibly responsive. However, it has an ERR message after the first shutter actuation. Seems after a bit of online research, this is common for this model and many have experienced years of trouble free performance after the first actuation. Some on the other hand suggest it was downhill and problems amplified to the point where the shutter died after a short time.

I purchased the D2h after reading Bjorn's review on his old site I came upon by accident over the holidays. I have 4 old Nikkor lenses with my FTN and thus thought it to be a good match for the D2h. I do not own any other lenses. These lenses have been converted to AI. Right now I am essentially capturing my family (mostly kids, activities and sports).

Any thoughts or comments from personal experience with this model? Thank you.

Paul

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
Re: Nikon D2H
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2017, 06:16:42 »
My observation was the Nikon D2Hs had better high ISO performance. I would assume lower noise would also mean better dynamic range. I sold my D2H for $185.00 (USD) about a year ago.

I found the D2H easier for manual focus than either my D300s and my D800. The focus screens are designed to be user exchangeable.

Dave Hartman
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2017, 07:58:35 »
If you can afford a used D3 I would rather go for her. She is as fast as the D2H but due to the 24x36 qmm chip she has a bigger mirror, more light entering the view finder so the view finder generally brighter and bigger and it should be easier to manual focus....
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

HCS

• NG Supporter
  • The Netherlands
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2017, 09:30:40 »
A few months into my photography endeavor so an amateur in every sense. I have been using a Nikkormat FTN as my first camera with BW film. I just purchased a Nikon D2h in near mint condition as my first digital camera.

I still have one, although i don't use it anymore. Should take it out sometime  :D

What affect will the in camera settings have on a jpeg file? Same as a raw file? I know a raw file can be processed where a jpeg is essentially processed in camera. So…adjusting the in camera setting will have no affect on a raw file?

Correct, the in camera settings only affect the rendered file (JPEG or TIFF), but not the raw file (NEF). The settings are, however, used to render the on screen image. So keep that in mind.

Lastly for now. I have 14 days to play with this camera before I can return it. I like the feel of it in my hands and it is incredibly responsive. However, it has an ERR message after the first shutter actuation. Seems after a bit of online research, this is common for this model and many have experienced years of trouble free performance after the first actuation. Some on the other hand suggest it was downhill and problems amplified to the point where the shutter died after a short time.

I've had the Err message a few times and usually it just takes turning off and on the camera to clear it. It must lead to some greater problem somewhere down the line. Depends a bit on how many shutter actuations your sample has.

I purchased the D2h after reading Bjorn's review on his old site I came upon by accident over the holidays. I have 4 old Nikkor lenses with my FTN and thus thought it to be a good match for the D2h. I do not own any other lenses. These lenses have been converted to AI. Right now I am essentially capturing my family (mostly kids, activities and sports).

Any thoughts or comments from personal experience with this model? Thank you.

Paul

Like i said, i do own one and have used it quite extensively. It indeed feels good in your hands and is incredibly responsive (even though the D3s is even more so). It works well with all sorts of lenses, but since the view finder is rather small manual lenses may become a problem. Depends on your eye sight. It drives AF screw driver lenses like no other (reviews say it comes close to the power the F5 had).

I've had much fun with it and don't let the 4 Mpix fool you. If you know what to shoot and how, big prints are very well possible from it.

Go out and have fun with it!
Hans Cremers

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2017, 09:41:00 »
If you can afford a used D3 I would rather go for her. She is as fast as the D2H but due to the 24x36 qmm chip she has a bigger mirror, more light entering the view finder so the view finder generally brighter and bigger and it should be easier to manual focus....

Equating a bigger mirror/finder with a brighter view finder is a common mistake. The area to be covered is larger as well, so brigthness (intensity on an area basis) is not necessarily higher. Usually it is the opposite, as any old-timer using view cameras can attest to.

Nobody will deny the D3 was and still is a great camera, but the same applies to D2H as long as one understands to pull the maximum out of its files. I have had double-page magazine covers printed from D2H files and the editor was happy.

The D3 did introduce useful high(er) ISO photography, though.

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2017, 09:56:13 »
The camera is broken if it shows Err in the display, I would return it!

D3 is by far a much better camera in all aspects. Second hand prices are very low now even for D3.
Erik Lund

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2017, 10:24:06 »
D2H suffered from two major design failure of the circuit boards.  Both were addressed even outside the warranty (at least in Japan).  Your sample might have been left untreated.  Better to return it, unfortunately.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2017, 10:46:10 »
The D3 is very sturdy and at 800 Euros very cheap for a professional grade body. I still feel it could be all the camera I ever need for the rest if my life. 12 Megapixel give you huge prints, the tonality and high ISO capability make her versatile to near infinity. A wonderful film like character of the files. Great ergonomics. A real mile stone. Only thing bad is really loud operation. You will not like to use her in church service or theatre. I will not sell her. Superb machine.
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

PKS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2017, 13:35:44 »
The D3 is 5x the cost of the D2h in the same condition. Well out of my range. Even one in "bargain" condition or  beat up is 4x the cost. My D2h has 900 shutter actuations. I may take my chances. It seems there are D2h users that have had this malady since new and have well over 150,000 now without further issue. It is a gamble I know but for what I paid,($200)it may be worth it.

Regarding the manual focus; Can the focus screen be changed? I miss the split prism of the FTN. My eyes are fine but a little help goes a long way. I am not overly fond of autofocus but perhaps that is the way to go long term. My budget is limited so an old screw drive lens may work.

I will play with the in camera settings a bit to see what changes occur with an image. I really no nothing about post production but did download NXD.

Thanks for all the help. I am sure I will have many more questions along the way.

Paul

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2017, 20:49:46 »
If Erik says: Take the Err Message seriously, you should really listen. Erik really knows stuff.

HCS

• NG Supporter
  • The Netherlands
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2017, 22:33:31 »
Of course Erik is right. He always is  8)

However, the D2h had the tendency to sometimes throw an Err. For many people that didn't lead to (disastrous) failures.

D2h didn't have much exposure bandwith though. Internet claimed about 5 stops, somewhat the same apparently as slide film. Here a shot i could find from Scotland. I used a couple of exposures to overcome the large(ish) difference in exposure between highlight and lowlight. A modern camera would have pulled this out of one raw file (D810 for example).

Anyhoo, with proper sharpening (and not viewed too up close), this could print to about 30x45cm, or even to 40x60cm. As long as you don't hang it next to a print by a megapixel monster at least  ;D ;D
Hans Cremers

PKS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2017, 22:44:18 »
After further contemplation....I have sent the D2h back. I am returning to my FTN and BW film for now. I will see about a D3 and digital down the road a bit. Thanks for all your help and comments.

Paul

HCS

• NG Supporter
  • The Netherlands
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2017, 23:00:41 »
After further contemplation....I have sent the D2h back. I am returning to my FTN and BW film for now. I will see about a D3 and digital down the road a bit. Thanks for all your help and comments.

Paul

No worries Paul. Do show us some of your analog work !
Hans Cremers

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
  • Cape Town, South Africa
    • Elsa Hoffmann
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2017, 05:37:04 »

Paul

Paul - what a pity but probably a very wise move in the end. However - I would seriously agree with the other guys - see what you can lay your hands on digital wise  - I hope that's not too far in the future. Have fun
"You don’t take a photograph – you make it” – Ansel Adams. Thats why I use photoshop.
www.phototourscapetown.com
www.elsa.co.za. www.intimateimages.co.za

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2017, 06:17:39 »
Hi Paul.  Definitely keep a D700 in your sights as an alternative to a D3.  They share the same sensor and have similar AF technologies.  The D700 is smaller and IMHO is in many ways an easier camera to handle.  Probably about half the price used.  I still have mine and like its size and usability a lot.

However if you are looking at a D3, save the extra and get a D3s.  The alternative is a used Df.  I do concede that these last two options are probably around $US1,500 at this current time, so some saving will be required.  The Df has a tweaked D4 sensor.

Happy hunting!  ;D
Hugh Gunn