Author Topic: Nikon D2H  (Read 6440 times)

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
Re: Nikon D2H
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2017, 07:10:58 »

What affect will the in camera settings have on a jpeg file? Same as a raw file? I know a raw file can be processed where a jpeg is essentially processed in camera. So…adjusting the in camera setting will have no affect on a raw file?

The settings used in camera do have an effect on the RAW or NEF file. There is a JPG preview included in the NEF file. That preview is the same as a JPG file that can be saved in camera as a standalone JPG.

The NEF file will be tagged with the in camera settings and that will be your starting point when you use Nikon software, CaptureNX2 or CaptureNX-D. You can change those settings before you develop the NEF as they are not "baked in" so you can develop the NEF with other settings.

Third party software may or may not be aware of the incamera settings beyond a few like the white balance settings. The don't have Nikon's secret sauce so they can't develope the NEF exactly as Nikon software would but the have their own secret sauce. It like to different cooks creating the same dish, similar but different.

I like Nikon's CaptureNX-D though it sucked at first. I liked Nikon's CaptureNX2 and wished there had been a CaptureNX3 but that was not to be. I recommend downloading CaptureNX-D and giving it a try. It's a free download. I develop my NEF(s) in CaptureNX-D and pass them to Photoshop for finishing.

There are may alternatives to Nikon software from Capture One, DXO, Adobe and more. I want to try Capture One but haven't made the time yet.

I hope something here helps,

Dave Hartman
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

Jack Dahlgren

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2017, 18:06:32 »
Paul,

I don't mean to imply anything about your photographic skills, I don't know what they are, but using a digital camera of some sort is the quickest and cheapest way to practice photography. Quick because feedback is nearly instantaneous, and cheap because once you have the equipment each image is nearly free. It allows you to really practice. And practice and experimentation are the key to getting better.

Have you considered a used D200? Takes AI lenses and should be dirt cheap these days. It was what I used until I moved to a Df.

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2017, 18:27:12 »
After further contemplation....I have sent the D2h back. I am returning to my FTN and BW film for now. I will see about a D3 and digital down the road a bit. Thanks for all your help and comments.  Paul

A flawlessly working D2H is a great thing, do not let us discourage you.

If you are on a budget and ready to work with RAW files only (crappy JPEGs) then the Nikon D70 & D70s might also be an option. It can be had for 120 Euros including lens: e.g. eBay No. 182404648688

Sell off the lens and get the camera for free!

I used two D70 to make my living till I could afford the D3 new in 2008!

And: I found split prism replacement screens for both of them. I used manual focus lenses a lot.

It is a crappy camera from today's view point, but if you learn to handle her and develop her RAWs she delivers IMO better than a D200, which is a better camera construction wise but the RAWs have less leverage and fall apart if you do not nail the exposure within a very small margin.

For slow photography also the D2X might be considered. Her viewfinder is very good compared to the D70!
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

PKS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2017, 21:38:49 »
I will keep an eye out for another D2h that does not have the ERR issue. I like the size and responsiveness in my short time with the camera. The files are also small and would help with learning post production particularly with raw files. My computer skills are not the best.I do understand a bit about its limitations as I have read a lot. Small DR and nailing exposure....I could not think of a better tool to learn on then. You either figure it out or you get lousy results. I cannot say that I have any "photographic skills" yet. As you say, it takes practice and with film, I am less likely to practice because of the cost, so I therefore take far less pictures. Most of what I do take centers around my children. Their activities and or sports if I am not coaching. I do like the simplicity of the FTN and the split prism for focusing. I have tried other cameras from colleagues and friends with autofocus. Had a harder time with those though the time spent was quite short. A split prism on a D2h would be nice. Anyway, thank you all for your encouragement and comments. I will keep you posted.

Paul

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2017, 14:26:33 »
for not a lot more money you can get the awesome D2Xs :o :o :o

replica

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2017, 10:25:06 »
Hallo,
d2h has just relieved me of registering date and time on every image it makes (the internal battery that remembers them got exhausted, i think) - i recently heard a leica was introduced with no rear display, so it's the new trend, i guess -- (and if my d2h shows the err message, it will probably be about composition)

PKS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2017, 13:33:14 »
The D3 as well as the D700 and DF are well out of my price range. I do hope to purchase one in the future. However, I just last evening purchased a D2xs for a good price. It should arrive some time next week. Thanks for all the help and suggestions.

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2017, 13:45:20 »
The D2X was my main workhorse for several years before the FX era of Nikon opened with the D3. It is really an excellent camera if you recall its ISO performance is typical for its vintage, so keep ISO setting to 400 or below. The view finder is clear and bright and the handling of the camera is straight forward and simple. It has GPS support which for inscrutable reasons the D2H lacked (but even weirder, the D2Hs featured).

This generation of DSLRs did not have Liveview so ensure the finder dioptre is set correctly for best focusing accuracy. My eyesight fluctuates throughout the day, so I redo these adjustments several times each day.

PKS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2017, 14:22:23 »
Thanks Bjorn. I will let you know how I get along with it. I may consider adding the magnifying eye piece for manual focus as suggested in the other thread. I had only a day to play with the D2h before sending it back due to the ERR issue. However, the viewfinder in the Nikkormat is so much better. I will assume the viewfinder in the D2xs is the same as the D2h? Having no experience with digital, I was surprised to see such a difference in the viewfinders.

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2017, 14:58:11 »
More or less all of the D cameras have viewfinders optimized for viewing and using AF,,, but dismissing them is a great mistake, they are build for different purposes!

Df is slightly better,,,
Erik Lund

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2017, 15:02:34 »
Don't forget the ground glass screen can be replaced ... I have a K3 split-image screen in my Df, and this makes the already excellent finder of the Df even better.

PKS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2017, 15:06:23 »
Hi Erik; I will likely move to an autofocus lens at some point. I do like the use of an aperture ring and manual focus is the only experience I have thus far. In addition, since I already have four lenses, it makes sense to start there and see how I do with digital. Worse case, I sell it and just go back to my Nikkormat.

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2017, 15:09:29 »
Most here has been/are shooting MF lenses on D1 and D2 series of cameras no big problem ;)

There are many AF lenses with aperture ring, called AF and AF-D ;)
Erik Lund

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2017, 16:01:54 »
With that D2Xs you will need a CF card reader and some extra CF cards. No need to buy the biggest (and moist expensive) CF cards, as 8 GB cards will be perfect for this camera.

You might be advised to buy one or more additional EN-EL4a batteries as well. Such batteries have a limited longevity in actual use, around 3 years from my experience.