Author Topic: Df-wear and tear  (Read 11286 times)

BW

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Børge Wahl-Photography
Df-wear and tear
« on: December 16, 2016, 17:08:44 »
My Df startet to show signs of hard use today. I usually use old lenses with the little wonder. The aperture readings from the mechanical coupling has worked flawless since I started using it, but today it wouldn't read apertures under f5,6. When I turned the ring from stopped down to full opening the reading gradually went down until long after I stopped turning the ring, but stopped at f8 or f5,6. Stopped down, the f22 lenses, read f45. So to get the correct exposure I had to use ISO to compensate. Some insider DIY tips or just use NPS?

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
Re: Df-wear and tear
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2016, 17:20:20 »
My guess is that the ceramic plate holding the aperture follower circuitry has developed a hairline crack. The plate sits on the front under the upper part of the camera mount.

Nikon some years ago changed over from a pliable print to the ceramic plate for their DSLRs (only apply to those with aperture followers). Probably cheaper and more "cost effective" (heard that phrase before?), but susceptible to frontal impacts.

If this indeed is the cause of your observed problem, use a 'G' lens and set the aperture through the camera's front dial. Should work as the signal pathway is routed differently.

rosko

• Homo erectus manualfocus
  • NG Supporter
  • France/Uk
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2016, 17:26:28 »
I get such issue when I forget to put back the aperture index after using a ''non AI lens'', and use a normal lens.

I can't of course blame my Df ! ;D

However, a ''warning alert'' is missing when that happens.

Have you checked the coupling between this index and the flange notch of your lens ?

Have you checked the information you gave in the ''non CPU'' menu ?
Francis Devrainne

BW

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Børge Wahl-Photography
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2016, 17:59:50 »
The G-lenses works fine, but the older lenses seem to be off by a mile :( I think it is time it goes back to Nikon for a full check up. Maybe they can change the rubber and fix all the other quirks it has. Should I change back to the original focus screen before they start to scrutinize it?

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2016, 18:43:25 »
Remove the screen just for safety.

A pity you confirm my suspicion about the poor design of the Df. This issue could have been avoided quite easily in the construction.

BW

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Børge Wahl-Photography
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2016, 19:09:59 »
Thanks Bjørn! The 100th anniversary Df, next summer, will be perfect ;D

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2016, 01:46:43 »
Remove the screen just for safety.

A pity you confirm my suspicion about the poor design of the Df. This issue could have been avoided quite easily in the construction.

The D7000 had the same problem of poor design on that part :o :o :o

that egg shell thing is very sensitive, i was told NOT to touch that part by the service centre staff ::)

plenty of FT2's have bad meters because of the dead FRE

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2016, 01:50:40 »
My Df startet to show signs of hard use today. I usually use old lenses with the little wonder. The aperture readings from the mechanical coupling has worked flawless since I started using it, but today it wouldn't read apertures under f5,6. When I turned the ring from stopped down to full opening the reading gradually went down until long after I stopped turning the ring, but stopped at f8 or f5,6. Stopped down, the f22 lenses, read f45. So to get the correct exposure I had to use ISO to compensate. Some insider DIY tips or just use NPS?

it can be DIY'd but it's something that I will leave to the repair guys to do since it involves removing the front plate. if the case is indeed what Bjørn said :o :o :o
that eggshell-looking part can be very delicate

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2016, 02:55:08 »
The D7000 had the same problem of poor design on that part :o :o :o

Never had the problem with two samples of D7000s of mine.  But indeed the part looks flimsy.

Børge, hope the trouble will be addressed at a minimum possible cost.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

tommiejeep

• NG Member
  • Look for the light
    • Nikonians
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2016, 03:10:55 »
Børge,
Mine was replaced under warranty.   There was a Service Advisory to Nikon Repair Centres but not published to owners/users.   Not sure that they would do a full service but might replace that part under warranty.  No problems since but I do pay a bit more attention to the Df than some other bodies.
Hope all works out well.
Tom
Tom Hardin, Goa, India

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2016, 12:28:28 »
It is also a silent replacement on the D3.
Erik Lund

BW

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Børge Wahl-Photography
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2016, 13:40:36 »
I asked them to fix the stuck on/off button, replace the rubber grip which always fall off, and the aperture ring was cracked and have to be replaced. With shipment they charge me 5300 Nkr, which I think is a bit steep. So how anyone could get it replaced for free, puzzle me? But the upside is that I get my beloved Df back :)

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2016, 14:00:30 »
It is food for thought that my Df units have had the same issues, except - strangely enough - the peeling rubber grip(s). The stuck on/off button was fixed under warranty; can't remember the outcome of the cracked aperture follower issue but if I had to pay it was insignificant.

Nikon could do well not to launch, with lots of advertising drive,  a camera that wasn't properly field tested. I feel the Df project was subject to wrong decisions by the overzealous bean-counters. There is nothing wrong, not at all, with the underlying concept, my reservations are for the implementation of it.

Rumours have it the 100th anniversary this year will be with a launch of a Df2. Cross fingers Nikon has learned some lessons since 2013 and improved their product.

JohnBrew

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2016, 14:22:12 »
The G-lenses works fine, but the older lenses seem to be off by a mile :( I think it is time it goes back to Nikon for a full check up. Maybe they can change the rubber and fix all the other quirks it has.

Exactly the same thing which happened to my D810! Thus the famous (or infamous) diagnosis of "impact damage". Bjorn is correct about the ceramic thingy and methinks it is quite delicate. Does anyone know if Nikon is using this with all models now?

And perhaps another question - what was the last "pro" model to not use this? Seemed like my D700 was more robust.

And 100% with Bjorn on hoping Nikon has learned something and the DfII will be a better implemented product.

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2016, 14:31:06 »
Ceramics prints are all in (every model to the best of my knowledge) and waiting for a disaster to happen ....

I agree this is a known and thereby by definition, 'infamous', design bug. Whatever advantage the ceramic print might confer in accuracy etc. is lost by its susceptibility for breaking. Trust me, it didn't take much of an impact to crack the ceramics on my first Df. I am all amazement how fragile and delicate this construction is.