Author Topic: Df-wear and tear  (Read 11289 times)

stenrasmussen

Re: Df-wear and tear
« Reply #30 on: December 24, 2016, 13:39:06 »
The D3 I once owned suffered from the "wtf happens with the aperture follower"-syndrome. A little service job got it right back to working order.
As for a Df successor my list is: D5 sensor and AF, more or less same body, dial locks on or off (like the X-T2), maaaaybe the front command wheel and on/off switch changes, interchangeable focussing screens (not likely but one hopes), memory card access on the right side. That's pretty much it.

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #31 on: December 24, 2016, 14:15:16 »
The aperture mechanism of my D600 broke when I tried to attach my 1.4/35mm Ai-S at 90° wrong angle. Set me back 267€ IIRC...
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

MILLIREHM

• NG Supporter
  • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #32 on: December 24, 2016, 15:08:38 »
Nikon Df 2 Titan could be interesting I guess ;D

Thats what I have thought already would be an appropriate feature for an 100 years anniversary camera, and would be insteresting for me to add a Df2 to the Df I have already. Should not be a titanium hull only but an internal redesign taking vulnerable parts into account and eliminate weaknesses that cause overall reduced robustness..

A more ergonomic front wheel would be nice, and yes the D5 sensor plus AF would be  a thing. No video hopefully and the body must not be bigger than the Df
Wolfgang Rehm

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #33 on: December 24, 2016, 15:18:14 »
The aperture mechanism of my D600 broke when I tried to attach my 1.4/35mm Ai-S at 90° wrong angle. Set me back 267€ IIRC...

You probably exerted some force as well? Can be an expensive practice.

JohnBrew

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #34 on: December 24, 2016, 17:24:59 »
Nikon Df 2 Titan could be interesting I guess ;D

What a grand idea!

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #35 on: December 24, 2016, 17:43:32 »
You probably exerted some force as well? Can be an expensive practice.

No. Just hit the right spot with a turn ....
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #36 on: December 24, 2016, 19:10:17 »
Couldn't be the right spot when it was the wrong one?

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY
« Reply #37 on: December 24, 2016, 23:48:38 »
for the D7000 and the D80, it was just a problem waiting to occur according to my friend. He pointed out something in the design and I didn't quite understand what he was saying but according to him, it is quite a regular occurrence on those cameras that come in to his shop. the dreaded EE and failure to recognise aperture is the symptom. Thinking about it, my friend's D800 might have gotten that,too. he dropped it :o :o :o

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #38 on: December 25, 2016, 00:49:03 »
If this damage occurs, the aperture is still activated by the body and you can still shoot with the camera, right?
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #39 on: December 25, 2016, 00:54:34 »
(Df): yes and no. For AFS/G lenses you can dial in aperture from camera side; light metering and everything else will function normally. Likewise, the same operation mode ought to work with any AI/AI'd/AIS lenses equipped with CPU. If no CPU or you want to use the aperture ring on the lens, no reliable light metering is provided and aperture control will be erratic (to say the least).

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #40 on: December 25, 2016, 10:54:24 »
Couldn't be the right spot when it was the wrong one?

Funny

BW

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Børge Wahl-Photography
« Reply #41 on: January 11, 2017, 20:23:15 »
Update! After three weeks, nothing has happened with the repair of my Df. Their "support system" still says backorder >:( My patience is slowly deteriorating. If I had known this I would have bought a used one. Even on a geological scale they are slow..