Author Topic: For gimbal dudes  (Read 18828 times)

PedroS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
For gimbal dudes
« on: October 26, 2016, 15:36:05 »
New kid in the block...

https://www.kirkphoto.com/g1-gimbal-head.html

Another interesting head in line with RRS one, but seems to address some minor issues on these type of heads, but still not a competitor for the full fluid head ones.

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
Re: For gimbal dudes
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2016, 16:01:14 »
The Kirk unit has all these pieces, joints and locking knobs indicating there are many potential problem areas to influence overall stability. The original Wimberley seems rock solid in comparison?

MILLIREHM

• NG Supporter
  • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2016, 16:20:50 »
Have the same impression. I was quite satisfied with the Wimberley II for a while and did not feel the need for going for another gimbal.
Just upgraded my Sachtler ENG2CF with an FSB8 head that will give me new options.
Wolfgang Rehm

PedroS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2016, 16:35:21 »
Indeed, and that's a trend...
The idea behind is to built them around aluminum billets on CNC, so likes the Jobu or Wimberley will be a waste of material, and being easier to pack. Nevertheless those pieces connects to each other by arca-swiss joints, so essentially without movement when tight. Also they can double as panoramics heads.
The Wimberley falls short in two aereas, that I really like they could address: the bearings and the locking mechanisms
The ones like this Kirk (have not yet one on hand), the RRS, and with another approach, but with the same resukts, the Mongoose, are much better towards locking systems and bearings. Namelly the RRS and the Kirk have needle and ball bearings to attain no wooble movements on their arms. The Kirk, brings an innovative tension/locking system, thought.
But again, there's no free lunch, and the Kirk and even more the RRS approaches the weight of a good fluid head, without its inherent benefits.

I discover another interesting gimbal, an Italian one, full carbon, the Zenelli: http://www.zenelli.it/it/tecnologia
Another great piece of machinery comes from ProMediagear, the Katana: http://www.promediagear.com/GK-Katana-Gimbal-Head_p_8.html

Look at this video about the difference between a fluid head and a gimbal featured by a well known Israel wildlife photographer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3k-a1A6zs_0&t=727s

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2016, 16:46:02 »
My experience with the Wimberley is short and just allow for general impressions. The ability to move the lens freely is great, the support for longer than "fast" exposures not so much. Or to be frank, not at all.

There is a German gimbal-type head the name of which  escapes me at present (something starting with 'Nie...') looking much more sturdy because it had the lens secured within a square loop or bridle. Intuitively that arrangement looked much better in terms of reduced vibrations. Any one of our German members to the rescue here?

PedroS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2016, 16:58:46 »
I remember that one... and Manfrotto has one looked like too...

Let me see if I can find it on my archives...

Manfrotto
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/554099-REG/Manfrotto_393_393_Heavy_Duty_Gimbal.html

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2016, 17:11:26 »
Keep It Simple

The classic Manfrotto is a very good basic design.

Thanks for the update on Gimbal heads Pedro ;)
Erik Lund

PedroS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear

PedroS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2016, 17:14:59 »
Thanks for the update on Gimbal heads Pedro ;)

Thanks Eric

PedroS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2016, 17:21:34 »
And if you think one is not enough... be prepared, because two could be the answer!!

http://www.photoscala.de/2011/12/23/doppelkopf-teleschwenker-eki-pro-hd-heavy-duty/

Those were the crasy years...

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2016, 17:22:46 »
Partial associative memory retrieval: 'Nill' + 'Dietmar' => Nie ...

This and the Eki look pretty similar in principle and build. Manfrotto probably is much cheaper also in workmanship?

I still prefer a robust fluid head, though, but then I work mainly with landscapes not action.

PedroS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2016, 17:28:55 »
Me too Bjorn, but it took me a long way, I must say.

I have tried the majority of those gimbals, had several including the Manfrotto. Great concept but terrible workmanship and the bearing axles were so bad, that I don't have words to describe them...

Then I took a big step and a fluid head appeared, nothing less than a Sachtler, and never looked back. I now have two, the FSB8 and a Cartoni focus HD that I really like.
From all gimbals I had, just one is still here, the Mongoose 3.6...

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2016, 17:35:21 »
That is exactly why it is so important to try out these items in real life situations.

Something may look like a nice design but as soon as you stat using it,,,

I have only a few Manfrotto items, only their very expensive light stands/booms - In the cheap segment it's plastic and tiny screws holding things together,,,
Erik Lund

MILLIREHM

• NG Supporter
  • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2016, 17:53:14 »
Partial associative memory retrieval: 'Nill' + 'Dietmar' => Nie ...

This and the Eki look pretty similar in principle and build. Manfrotto probably is much cheaper also in workmanship?

I still prefer a robust fluid head, though, but then I work mainly with landscapes not action.

The Nill head looks more stable as it is u shaped (like the Feisol), but at least its original version is no true gimbal as it does not allow height adjustments, which is the essence of gimbals to tune it in a way the lens/camera combo is keeping its position also when tilted

Bought my fluid head for more stability and trying whether I manage to be faster than with the Wimberley
Came in recently and still needs to be exoerienced
Wolfgang Rehm

PedroS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2016, 17:57:17 »
The Nill head looks more stable as it is u shaped (like the Feisol), but at least its original version is no true gimbal as it does not allow height adjustments, which is the essence of gimbals to tune it in a way the lens/camera combo is keeping its position also when tilted

Bought my fluid head for more stability and trying whether I manage to be faster than with the Wimberley
Came in recently and still needs to be exoerienced

You'll need some pratice in fact.

The very first, and still lots of them today, don't have the vertical adjustment you are taking about. But you nailed it, an essential one!