Author Topic: Nikkor filters history  (Read 4179 times)

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
Re: Nikkor filters history
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2021, 22:31:01 »
One thing I've always wondered is why Nikon did not make more filters compatible with the HN-12 hood.  The original 52 mm. polarizer had an oddball thread, something like 60 mm., on the outside, and that elegant two part hood fit nothing else.  I would have thought they might have made some other filters that would use the same  hood, but I see no sign that they ever did.  Nor have I ever seen an adapter that would allow the hood to be put on anything else.

The Nikon polarizer filter also has stops so it doesn't keep rotating, so it doesn't need an exposed stationary part to hold on to when putting on or taking off.

Also, you would have to note that the 60mm thread is of 0.5p, not the common 0.75p.  Ubiquitous stepup rings won't work.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2021, 23:16:42 »
The clear filters Nikon make today are NC filters only?
I assume the coating are much better today than the old L37c filters?
They could be quite hard to clean so they looked like when they came out of the box.

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2021, 23:40:31 »
Interesting.  Looking on the web I see the thing, but none of my references mentions its existence, and I've never seen one.  But I'm glad they found something else to do with that nice hood.

I went to my cupboards and pulled out the container with my AF-1 holders. Several of them had the HN-12 installed :)

The AF-1 with the coupling ring UR-2 and the thick glass filter 'FF' (roughly equivalent to Wratten 18B) were part of the factory kit accompanying the UV-Nikkor 105/4.5 lens. Most people used them for gelatine filters, though. I stocked up on them to allow more rapid filter swapping in the early days of my UV shooting.

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2021, 00:04:31 »
The clear filters Nikon make today are NC filters only?
I assume the coating are much better today than the old L37c filters?
They could be quite hard to clean so they looked like when they came out of the box.

Try cleaning L37c filters with regent grade methyl alcohol as recommended for Nikon's view camera lenses in their instruction manuals, Nikkor-W, SW, etc.

Multi-coated Nikon filters are no harder to clean than single coated. Look closely at the single coated filters. The swirls that are easily seen on multi-coated filters are there on single coated filters. Those swirls just show up better against the less reflective multi-coatings. Kodak Lens Cleaner was notorious for leaving smears on lenses and filters.

I've used regent grade methyl alcohol on vintage 1969 and later Nikkor lenses through the AIS lenses as well as Nikon's view camera lenses. Your Mileage May Vary!

I've smeared the blacking around a '70s vintage Schneider 135/5.6 Componon-S all over the glass but cleaned it up and I re-blacked the edge, no harm, no foul at least functionally.

Dave
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2021, 08:15:25 »
I think cleaner for glasses are mostly isopropanol and I have clean isopropanol in bottles. I can try that but I think never e.g. Hoya filters are easier to clean than the old L37c.
Nano coat filters are advertised to be easy to clean but have not tried those.
I assume that a new Nikon filter today has an "upgraded" coating compared to an old L37c filter?

My last filter purchase was "Haida" which I dared to try after reading reviews that they should be fine. Those seems also quite easy to clean. So some coatings are easier to clean than others but will try out pure "alkohol" as cleaner.