Author Topic: Decide the submission frequency for 2017  (Read 16323 times)

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
Re: Decide the submission frequency for 2017
« Reply #60 on: October 21, 2016, 22:28:28 »
No that is not the issue here
Erik Lund

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #61 on: October 21, 2016, 22:31:19 »
Multiple-person blogging in one thread is what needs to be fixed. Thus planning a new multiple-person blog is missing the point entirely. Photography forums aren't really the place for blogs. Photography forums are more like gallery space where you select your best work to hang on the walls for discussion and critique.
In essence this is what we trying to convey,,,
Erik Lund

bobfriedman

• NG Supporter
  • Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #62 on: October 21, 2016, 22:44:31 »
In essence this is what we trying to convey,,,

i am sorry i don't get it... i don't really know what defines a blog relative to a thread.
Robert L Friedman, Massachusetts, USA
www.pbase.com/bobfriedman

Fons Baerken

• NG Supporter
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/fonsbaerken/
« Reply #63 on: October 23, 2016, 10:16:06 »
For me it is a classic example how man loves to create problems.
At first there was the natural flow of creativity, named a daily blog.
All of a sudden someone's calling you cant do this, that, whatever,...
a problem was created,
Then of course there is the need to "solve this problem", let us do this, that, whatever...
a new problem is created,

Always go back to the source to check what in fact is happening.
It sounds like Kindergarten, and that is what it is. ;)

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #64 on: October 23, 2016, 10:24:50 »
Fons, you are not being helpful here. What is the reason of posting this? You are entitled to hold your opinions, nobody objects to that, but at the same time it is wise to keep a wider perspective on things. The NG Admins have obligations beyond that of indulging the whims of an individual without being accused of "creating problems that didn't exist". Don't make yourself into a problem of its own, please.

The format of this subforum will change, whether you like it or not.

simsurace

• NG Member
« Reply #65 on: October 25, 2016, 10:26:37 »
I have to defend Fons here, as I have not seen clear evidence of a problem.
As Erik said, there are no server issues at stake.
Bjørn said (I believe) bandwidth is a potential problem.
What is correct? If admins disagree on this, I'm rather unsure what to think.
I have heard that quality is a problem, but I would like to see an example since I haven't followed all of those threads and those that I did follow had decent pictures in them. Where is the thread with low quality pictures?
Simone Carlo Surace
suracephoto.com

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #66 on: October 25, 2016, 10:48:29 »
My statement was within a long talk about what is the main issue here.

For now the server is not the issue.

Over time this could develop into an issue if people just post image after image.

You are connecting statements regarding now and the future.

I think Fons is way out of line with his semi personal hint, accusations and conspiracy statements.

Pleas go back and re read all of the posts in this thread, you will se we are quite clear and precise in what are the issues that worry us.

Thanks for your concern.
Erik Lund

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #67 on: October 25, 2016, 10:53:34 »
Although server resources are ample, they are finite. Thus sooner or later we will face issues with capacity if the current format continues. The admins are just looking into the near future and act proactively. We understand some members respond unfavourably to the proposed change(s), but again, this is a question of finding a balance between interests of the individual and the entire community.

Aside from that aspect, we feel members should be more conscious about the quality of their posted work not merely the quantities. Allowing only a single image per period (week etc.) will put the evaluation of quality right where it belongs, namely, to each author.  The admins have not a wish of deciding what image should remain or be deleted.  Do note a member would be free to replace their  contribution within that specific period.

I suggest the thread now has reached its natural end and the NG Team will consider the alternatives of interval frequency shortly.

The current format *will* as promised run until the end of 2016. However, participants are urged to post only a single image per day from here on.

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #68 on: October 25, 2016, 13:11:57 »
The current thread will be now closed for more input. Thanks to every one adding their insights and thoughts on the topic.

The template for the November thread is posted so you can familiarise yourself with the slight change in format given below.

This is the thread for November. It opens for posting 1st November as the October thread is closed.

NB: Change of format: Each member can contribute a maximum of 1 image per day.

Additional images from a member that day will be deleted without further notice. You can substitute your daily image for another contribution, though, provided the earlier one is removed.

A final note on posting format:

We suggest the two last months of 2016 be considered a pilot study. If the single image a day works, we might reconsider the plans for 2017. However, under no circumstances will there be an opportunity of adding more than 1 image per period, whether period duration in 2017 is day, week, or month. That part of the format change stands.