Author Topic: Decide the submission frequency for 2017  (Read 16540 times)

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
Re: Decide the submission frequency for 2017
« Reply #45 on: October 21, 2016, 09:16:53 »
Thank you for the clarification Andrea.

As you point out a good communication is always preferred to avoid any miscommunication and possibly direct communication with the main contributors of the daily updates would have clarified a lot of things.

On the subject, I do agree that the 'Daily-Updates' is not the best form for Nikongear. As already mentioned by Bjørn in his first post a daily updates has many disadvantages and a blog form is not really the appropriate form on a forum about Photography.  Potential interesting subjects for the forum as a whole are hidden in a large bunch of 'Daily Routine'. 

If it is the aim to have a 'calendar-like' overview a weekly routine could be the best.

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #46 on: October 21, 2016, 16:09:55 »
Multiple-person blogging in one thread is what needs to be fixed. Thus planning a new multiple-person blog is missing the point entirely. Photography forums aren't really the place for blogs. Photography forums are more like gallery space where you select your best work to hang on the walls for discussion and critique.

understood now
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Fons Baerken

• NG Supporter
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/fonsbaerken/
« Reply #47 on: October 21, 2016, 17:01:34 »
We are scratching the surface, this idea has been in the pipeline as long as i know, already mentioned in the previous incarnation of the site,
a greater wish for technical chat, than for images at least by those that ended up as admins here.
Most disturbing the poor way it was communicated here, in fact balling out those, that showed production, so arguments mentioned were after the facts.

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #48 on: October 21, 2016, 17:05:13 »
Fons: very speculative line of argumentation  and certainly not supported by existing facts.

Do keep to the topic under discussion, please.

Alaun

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #49 on: October 21, 2016, 19:41:47 »
Actually, I like the daily threat as it is. Looking at the clicks, it seems to me many others appreciate it as it is as well. Maybe there is quite a number of likers, who stay calm? E.g. I find it stunning, the daily quality of pictures John shows us from Tilburg and I also like the often experimental and a little bit cryptic photos from Fons. Be fare. What is the difference of this thread compared to one from the NG meetings?

Off course, by  calling the thread “ … daily pictures …”, sometimes it seems there is a need to publish just something, but this might be cured simply by changing the title to something like “ … pictures of the day …”, so no need to post every day???
Wer-      Dro-
      ner         ste

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #50 on: October 21, 2016, 19:55:21 »
What to do with the current format is up for discussion. Opinions can be freely expressed as long as they are relevant to the topic and refrain from ad hominem attacks.

I fail to see why good pictures should not be possible to post on, say, a weekly basis.

Fons Baerken

• NG Supporter
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/fonsbaerken/
« Reply #51 on: October 21, 2016, 20:02:56 »
"There's no-one attacked that's not attacked" .

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #52 on: October 21, 2016, 20:09:14 »

Fons, you are not being helpful here. What imaginary relationship has this post to the topic under discussion?

Cast your vote and respect the outcome.

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #53 on: October 21, 2016, 20:20:22 »
We are scratching the surface, this idea has been in the pipeline as long as i know, already mentioned in the previous incarnation of the site,
a greater wish for technical chat, than for images at least by those that ended up as admins here.
Most disturbing the poor way it was communicated here, in fact balling out those, that showed production, so arguments mentioned were after the facts.
What are you on about and who are you addressing?
Erik Lund

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #54 on: October 21, 2016, 20:21:56 »
Again, I don't understand? Please elaborate, thank you in advance.
Erik Lund

Alaun

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #55 on: October 21, 2016, 20:24:34 »
I removed part of a sentence in my post, which might be misunderstood.
English is not my mother tongue. Critic is important for improvement ;)
Critic by itself is not positive or negative, not good or bad.
Wer-      Dro-
      ner         ste

Olivier

• NG Member
  • Olivier Anthony
« Reply #56 on: October 21, 2016, 20:39:11 »
Actually I fail to see the problem with the current format. Maybe I don't get it, maybe it needs to be better explained.
There is a group dynamic that drives a bunch of motivated people to shoot more often, possibly to experiment, and to share their effort.
Not everyone is able to produce a top notch shot every day, and I certainly wouldn't if I tried. But to me the interest of this kind of experiment lies in the process itself, not in the daily outcome altough it is certainly necessary to post in order to keep going.
Is the problem related to quality or to server space?
If it is the former, it is fine to simply not follow the daily iterations and let the people motivated by the exercise move on. In that case why not let the flow come as it is, and ask people, either once a week or even less, to look back at the latest period and select one picture (possibly in a separate thread) and explain why? Wouldn't that exercise be interesting in itself? It may open the door to discussions among the group, and would certainly encourage non-participants (like me) to pay more attention.
If it is the latter, it needs to be clearly stated.

I don't believe that imposing a format will be fruitful if the participants are satisfied with the current frame.

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #57 on: October 21, 2016, 20:42:11 »
Thanks Werner,

Sometimes change is necessary - Sometimes it's not.

Apparently several people got very offended about our call for change.

That is very unfortunate and I apologize for that, that was absolutely not the intention!

I can only shake my head over the rough language we receive from those who have felt offended though,,,

I am on the other hand not going to stand down on what I write on this site.

We all do our best to run this site to the best of our ability - Unpaid for the love of photography.

I will always be honest in my posting and if I don't like an image I skip it and just save my comments for what ever picture that comes along that I can connect to.

There is no right or wrong in photography and on this site everything goes, almost - In the sense that the site should not only be filled up with images just for the sake of having posted a huge amount of images and posts -

We are asking you/us all to take the pace one step down and get into a pace where we all can enjoy this wonderful site NikonGear that we all share together!

Please
Erik Lund

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #58 on: October 21, 2016, 20:48:21 »
Actually I fail to see the problem with the current format. Maybe I don't get it, maybe it needs to be better explained.
There is a group dynamic that drives a bunch of motivated people to shoot more often, possibly to experiment, and to share their effort.
Not everyone is able to produce a top notch shot every day, and I certainly wouldn't if I tried. But to me the interest of this kind of experiment lies in the process itself, not in the daily outcome altough it is certainly necessary to post in order to keep going.
Is the problem related to quality or to server space?
If it is the former, it is fine to simply not follow the daily iterations and let the people motivated by the exercise move on. In that case why not let the flow come as it is, and ask people, either once a week or even less, to look back at the latest period and select one picture (possibly in a separate thread) and explain why? Wouldn't that exercise be interesting in itself? It may open the door to discussions among the group, and would certainly encourage non-participants (like me) to pay more attention.
If it is the latter, it needs to be clearly stated.

I don't believe that imposing a format will be fruitful if the participants are satisfied with the current frame.

No, the server is not an issue.
Erik Lund

bobfriedman

• NG Supporter
  • Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #59 on: October 21, 2016, 22:24:35 »
are you saying i CANNOT start a thread with multiple images?.... something i do often.
Robert L Friedman, Massachusetts, USA
www.pbase.com/bobfriedman