Author Topic: PC 19mm f/4 E ED  (Read 110512 times)

BW

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Børge Wahl-Photography
Re: PC 19mm f/4 E ED
« Reply #180 on: December 19, 2016, 21:28:47 »
The hood improves the look of the "bulb" by a mile. You are the kind of guy that take "it can't be done" as a challenge, Erik ;D I tried a stitch with the 19 mm, but it wasn't my kind of lens so I left it for someone else to make scratches on the front element :)

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #181 on: December 19, 2016, 21:33:36 »
Nice job, as always, Erik!

So, HB-19 can also be converted to an emergency lens cap if the genuine one is lost and it is hard to find the replacement?
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #182 on: December 19, 2016, 22:54:10 »
There is an issue when rotating the lens,,, the lens HB-19 hood fits in horizontal tilt - if rotated for vertical tilt there will most likely be vignetting if also full shift is applied,,, - I'll have to field test, but basically if it's there just shave off some more or remove it for that situation.

Price is 50€ plus a HB-19 and shipping,,,

It is a nice DIY job - I can make a template in PDF to print and work from if anyone is interested, looks doesn't' really matter for how it works, what is important is a strong bayonet mount on the lens hood - and the HB-19 is strong!

It works very nice, the lens can stand upright or even tilted.

I would recommend to get a spare lens cap if you lose the original since it has a nice solid hatch lock.
Erik Lund

PedroS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #183 on: December 19, 2016, 23:00:19 »
There is an issue when rotating the lens,,, the lens HB-19 hood fits in horizontal tilt - if rotated for vertical tilt there will most likely be vignetting if also full shift is applied,,, - I'll have to field test, but basically if it's there just shave off some more or remove it for that situation.

Price is 50€ plus a HB-19 and shipping,,,

It is a nice DIY job - I can make a template in PDF to print and work from if anyone is interested, looks doesn't' really matter for how it works, what is important is a strong bayonet mount on the lens hood - and the HB-19 is strong!

It works very nice, the lens can stand upright or even tilted.

I would recommend to get a spare lens cap if you lose the original since it has a nice solid hatch lock.

Yep, I am, and my HB-19 is ready...
So if you can send the pdf please.

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #184 on: December 19, 2016, 23:02:32 »
I will do a little vignette field testing, then I will upload it ;)
Erik Lund

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #185 on: December 19, 2016, 23:16:10 »
Nice Blues Børge!
Erik Lund

bobfriedman

• NG Supporter
  • Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #186 on: December 20, 2016, 00:27:21 »

really nice blue room.. i am going to have to look for something other than my kitchen.
Robert L Friedman, Massachusetts, USA
www.pbase.com/bobfriedman

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #187 on: December 20, 2016, 22:27:52 »
Here is a link to the template for cutting a HB-19 lens hood to fit PC Nikkor 19mm ED 4E without vignetting, as far as I have tested ;)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ne4b2okiw2intrk/HB19%20template%20for%20Nikkor%2019mm%20.pdf?dl=0

It is a PDF file from a scan, print 100% (Not fit to A4)

Or download this JPG from Flickr also 100%

HB19-template-for-Nikkor-19mm- by Erik Gunst Lund, on Flickr
Erik Lund

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #188 on: December 20, 2016, 22:40:49 »
I did some test images at the office today but unfortunately there where some confidential documents on my desk,,, since the 19mm is so blindingly sharp every word is easily readable  :o So not able to share them,,,  :-X

Wow this is a fine piece of glass!

BTW no profile in my ACR but that doesn't matter the image is perfect as is, only CA issue was a tiny stripe of purple fringing looking blueish along the chrome on my pen,,,
Erik Lund

PedroS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #189 on: December 20, 2016, 22:45:32 »
Many thanks Erik  :)

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #190 on: December 24, 2016, 12:43:16 »
I finally had a short opportunity with some blue skies to do some quick test shots today, the lens certainly deliver adequate sharpness corner to corner no issues at all, here shot at f/11 with some shift, a typical architecture setting, no tilt as this was handheld, I just wanted to see how well the 19mm holds up on the D810.

_EGL9159 by Erik Gunst Lund, on Flickr

Fore and background are rendered nicely and camera/lens handles the trees/branches and the light post very well against the very bright sky, tiny amount of CA is handled nicely by ACR

Much more shooting is required to see how aperture setting change the sharpness for this combination - Here the detail holds up well for my purposes at f/11!

So far very happy also with the build quality of the 19mm

I think a dedicated lens collar could be so nice for tripod work. Tempting to do stitch-shifting with this lens! ;)

There is a nice cylindrical bit where the name plate is located, could clam onto that - It seems the shift control is unaffected even with the extra weight of the big battery grip on the D810, holding onto the lens and turning the shifting up or down.

Tilt is then fixed at a constant angle, if needed, but that should work for stitching,,,
Erik Lund

bobfriedman

• NG Supporter
  • Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #191 on: December 24, 2016, 16:55:36 »
i do wish the focus helicoid was a bit stiffer.. like the zeiss.  for manual a bit loose for my taste

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #192 on: December 24, 2016, 17:31:03 »
Focus is indeed super smooth, it's a rear focus lens so there is no extension of the lens.

The build quality seems to be outstanding! There could be a bit more length to the light baffle internally but that is nit picking,,,
Erik Lund

bobfriedman

• NG Supporter
  • Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #193 on: December 24, 2016, 19:34:03 »
i find that the focus ring is very unforgiving if you happen to bump into it as well.. especially when making adjustments to tilt/shift.

i seem to recall that the PC Nikkor 85mm was not so loose.... but i no longer have that lens to check

PedroS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #194 on: December 26, 2016, 10:40:28 »
i find that the focus ring is very unforgiving if you happen to bump into it as well.. especially when making adjustments to tilt/shift.

i seem to recall that the PC Nikkor 85mm was not so loose.... but i no longer have that lens to check

Bob, good point, checked on all three PCE and all are very loose as well.