Author Topic: Irix 15/2.4  (Read 24824 times)

stenrasmussen

Irix 15/2.4
« on: September 30, 2016, 14:15:31 »
Off to collect a sample...will post samples later.

Jan Anne

• Noob
  • Global Moderator
  • Holland
    • Me on Flickr
Re: Irix 15/2.4
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2016, 16:02:01 »
Excellent, very interested in your findings.

If the optics can match the feature set you should have a winner  :)
Cheers,
Jan Anne

bjornthun

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2016, 17:31:23 »
It'll be nteresting to see how a production sample works.

Sten, did you get the Irix 15mm from a Norwegian dealer?

stenrasmussen

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2016, 18:40:41 »
So far:
Beautiful packaging, sexy little lens bag, Zeiss-like construction. Very handy infinity focus click "stop".
Slight barrel distortion (nothing like the Samyang's Poirot one).
Ready to check coma behaviour soon.

stenrasmussen

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2016, 18:43:11 »
It'll be nteresting to see how a production sample works.

Sten, did you get the Irix 15mm from a Norwegian dealer?

I got it from my dealer here in Stavanger. They have 1 in Nikon and 2 in Canon mount left.
Btw, this is the Blackstone version.

Tristin

• NG Member
  • Nothing less, always more.
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2016, 19:00:14 »
Would love to find out that all the smples thus far were from bad samples, looking forward to your results.

Also, do let us know how serviceable the lens seems to be.
-Tristin

Harald

• NG Member
    • Flickr
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2016, 21:43:11 »
Oh. :) Waiting for your "Review".

Harald
Some pictures on FLICKR

stenrasmussen

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2016, 11:31:14 »
First out the obligatory product shots and a comparison to the Samyang 14/2.8:
As said, the workmanship is stellar. The focus lock mechanism is a neat feature...although I am not sure it will be used much.

stenrasmussen

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2016, 11:33:34 »
Distortion at close range (around 1.5m). Same processing, the Samyang has a different (warmer) color rendition.

Jan Anne

• Noob
  • Global Moderator
  • Holland
    • Me on Flickr
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2016, 11:46:12 »
The focus lock mechanism is a neat feature...although I am not sure it will be used much.
With the Samyang 14/2.8 I used to tape the focus to fixate infinity focus for startrails. The slightest tough on the focus ring would move it away from infinity resulting in soft images, a rather unpleasant surprise after an hour of waiting.

The focus ring on the Irix lenses have a click at infinity though, if thats works as designed setting the focus at infinity can be done blindfolded. I suspect though that the Irix lenses can overshoot infinity focus because there will be some focus shift under extreme temperatures, if so the focus lock might prove helpful once more.
Cheers,
Jan Anne

Jan Anne

• Noob
  • Global Moderator
  • Holland
    • Me on Flickr
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2016, 11:49:52 »
Distortion at close range (around 1.5m). Same processing, the Samyang has a different (warmer) color rendition.
Like with the 11mm Irix there's some barrel distortion but this is easily fixed in post processing.

The Sammy on the other hand has some extreme moustache distortion which is harder to fix, in nature shots this never bothered me btw.
Cheers,
Jan Anne

stenrasmussen

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2016, 11:50:18 »
With the Samyang 14/2.8 I used to tape the focus to fixate infinity focus for startrails. The slightest tough on the focus ring would move it away from infinity resulting in soft images, a rather unpleasant surprise after an hour of waiting.

The focus ring on the Irix lenses have a click at infinity though, if thats works as designed setting the focus at infinity can be done blindfolded. I suspect though that the Irix lenses can overshoot infinity focus because there will be some focus shift under extreme temperatures, if so the focus lock might prove helpful once more.

You are absolutely right about infinity fixing JA. The Irix does enable beyond infinity focus. I need to explore the lens a little more before making any judgement. Will head out to the beaches tonight for some dusk/night shots.

stenrasmussen

« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2016, 11:51:43 »
Like with the 11mm Irix there's some barrel distortion but this is easily fixed in post processing.

The Sammy on the other hand has some extreme moustache distortion which is harder to fix, in nature shots this never bothered me btw.

Yup!
The Irix is the Obelix shape whereas the Sammy is Hercule Poirot's facial hair thingy. Obelix is easy, Poirot not so much.

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2016, 12:48:26 »
Irix distortion is barrel type yes but only for the far corners as far as I could see at Photokina.
Erik Lund

Fons Baerken

• NG Supporter
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/fonsbaerken/
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2016, 13:03:53 »
The size of it, huge, dwarfs the Df :)