Author Topic: [Portfolio] Old Stuff  (Read 85724 times)

Gary

• NG Member
  • Southern California
    • Snaps
Re: Old Stuff
« Reply #210 on: August 07, 2015, 16:46:08 »

Boxer
Los Angeles, California

Nikon F2 w/ Nikkor 85mm, Tri-X
"Everywhere you look there are photographs, it is the call of photographers to see and capture them."- Gary Ayala
My snaps are here: www.garyayala.com
Critiquing my snaps are always welcomed and appreciated.

Jakov Minić

• Jakov Minic
  • Global Moderator
  • The Hague, The Netherlands
    • Jakov Minić
« Reply #211 on: August 07, 2015, 17:01:39 »
Gary, you are a "Shooter" too!

Thank you Jakov Minic, but I'm not in McCullin's league.

Gary, I am curious to learn how you determine if you're in somebody's league or not?
What separates you from the shooters?
Is it the fame, the newspapers and magazines that they worked for, access to areas of interest, gear, backing or sponsorship, money earned, etc.?
Or do you simply believe that the shooter's photos are better than yours?
If so, what don't your photos have that the shooter's photos have?

The boxer looks like Richard Pryor :)

Free your mind and your ass will follow. - George Clinton
Before I jump like monkey give me banana. - Fela Kuti
Confidence is what you have before you understand the problem. - Woody Allen

Gary

• NG Member
  • Southern California
    • Snaps
« Reply #212 on: August 07, 2015, 17:57:50 »
Gary, you are a "Shooter" too!

Thank you Jakov Minic, but I'm not in McCullin's league.

Gary, I am curious to learn how you determine if you're in somebody's league or not?
What separates you from the shooters? ...

Jakov ... there are no simple answers and every photographer and situation is different. I think journalism/photojournalism is much different now than back when i was shooting. Back in the film-only days, a newspaper or magazine required that you be a journalist first and a photog secondarily. Yes, photographic expertise was vitally important, but journalistic skills were more important, knowing how to cover a story ... knowing what to shoot was more important than knowing how to shoot. I think news has taken a turn that drama in the photograph is more important than accuracy.

But I digress ... I think a photojournalist needed three basic elements:

1) Photographic Skills, (previsualization/vision- instinctively knowing what lens and settings to use, where to be to dramatically capture the story and the darkroom/processing skills that will bring your previsualization to life);
2) Journalistic Skills (One needs to have a nose for the story ... to be able to sniff out a story from a few clues ... this ability translates to the photojournalist as being in the right spot at the right time.): and
3) Huevos, (as we say in this neck of the woods ... big brass ones. For the journalist/photojournalist, it is all about the story ... it is all about doing your job. One's personal safety is secondary. It isn't that your personal safety is unimportant ... if your are seriously injured, you can't get the story or equally importantly you can't get the story out ... in either case, you're not doing your job.) 

My 'Shooters', the photogs I respected and attempted to emulate, had all those elements in buckets. I used enthusiasm to camouflage my deficiencies. 
"Everywhere you look there are photographs, it is the call of photographers to see and capture them."- Gary Ayala

Gary

• NG Member
  • Southern California
    • Snaps
« Reply #213 on: August 08, 2015, 16:38:42 »

Pelican
Huntington Beach, California

Nikon F2 w/ Nikkor 180mm, Tri-X

Gary

• NG Member
  • Southern California
    • Snaps
« Reply #214 on: August 10, 2015, 16:54:13 »

Nicaragua

Nikon F2 w/ Nikkor 135mm, Tri-X

Jakov Minić

• Jakov Minic
  • Global Moderator
    • Jakov Minić
« Reply #215 on: August 10, 2015, 17:27:10 »
Did you check out the beaches for waves and prospects for surfing? (Apocalypse Now)

Seriously, weren't you ever frightened that a mortar or a sniper or the likes could have ended your life right there?
The kick and adrenaline must be addictive. Do you miss it?

Gary

• NG Member
  • Southern California
    • Snaps
« Reply #216 on: August 10, 2015, 19:31:14 »
Did you check out the beaches for waves and prospects for surfing? (Apocalypse Now)

Seriously, weren't you ever frightened that a mortar or a sniper or the likes could have ended your life right there?
The kick and adrenaline must be addictive. Do you miss it?

Being from Southern California and a degree in Biology (Marine), the oceans were my retreats from the stress of work. While I did and could surf, I never considered myself a surfer. I did partake in snorkeling and bodysurfing for R&R.

Yes, you were concerned. But those were just statistics and such harm would never happen to you. If one truly thought that their life would be cut short by the action around them ... then what the hell were they doing there in the first place. This topic requires another voluminous and complex response to be reasonably comprehensive. But in a nutshell ... In 'Nam I saw journalists fly in ... look around for a few days ... then take the next plane out. In retrospect, I think those 'escaped' early, may have had more courage than those of us that stayed out of ignorance, peer pressure or the desire to propel one's career upward by earning a war correspondent credential. I took my personal safety seriously and was always extremely aware of the action around me and what others were doing for their own personal safety.

I had to accept and endure looks of .... well ... glaring hatred, by the rank and file troops, ('grunts') ... when they found out I was a volunteer. I didn't get it at first. But after awhile it dawned on me that every single one of them (grunts) would take the next plane out of there if they could. If the next-plane-out opportunity was available to me, why didn't I take it. The grunts couldn't understand how someone who wielded such importance and responsibility as to be read/viewed by millions daily ... didn't have the brains to get the F*** out. And more importantly, the grunts couldn't fathom how I could regard my life so cheaply.

It is hard to come back after spending months or a year covering something as extreme and volatile as war, to take photos of the mayor giving a speech. Every time you came back, you swore never to go out again ... but in your gut you missed all the action and constantly scanned the headlines for the next hotspot ... the next firefight, in the world.

"I love the smell of napalm in the morning." Apocalypse Now

PS- Apocalypse Now, I think, was a very accurate description of the Vietnam War. Across the entire history of the war, I believe every scene in the movie occurred at one time or another.

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #217 on: August 10, 2015, 19:52:35 »
Impressive story, Gary. How long did you live that 'way of life' ?

Gary

• NG Member
  • Southern California
    • Snaps
« Reply #218 on: August 10, 2015, 20:48:10 »

I shot news for approximately 15 years.

Jakov Minić

• Jakov Minic
  • Global Moderator
    • Jakov Minić
« Reply #219 on: August 10, 2015, 21:52:29 »

And he didn't shoot no deputy :)

Gary

• NG Member
  • Southern California
    • Snaps
« Reply #220 on: August 11, 2015, 00:14:03 »

And he didn't shoot no deputy :)

LOL ... that's not entirely true, I shot a lot of deputies, sheriffs and poo-lice.

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
  • Cape Town, South Africa
    • Elsa Hoffmann
« Reply #221 on: August 11, 2015, 05:53:41 »
great shot of the Po-Lice !!
"You don’t take a photograph – you make it” – Ansel Adams. Thats why I use photoshop.
www.phototourscapetown.com
www.elsa.co.za. www.intimateimages.co.za

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #222 on: August 11, 2015, 08:25:56 »
Fantastic story and fantastic images!
Erik Lund

Ole Gammelsæter

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • My photo sharing site
« Reply #223 on: August 11, 2015, 10:01:55 »
Excellent images!
Considered making a book with these?
Ole Gammelsæter

Gary

• NG Member
  • Southern California
    • Snaps
« Reply #224 on: August 11, 2015, 15:48:15 »
great shot of the Po-Lice !!

Thank you Elsa.