Author Topic: Nikon Rumors: Nikon D5 is coming  (Read 28505 times)

stenrasmussen

Re: Nikon Rumors: Nikon D5 is coming
« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2015, 21:49:02 »
When traditional phase AF was born (Minolta?) there were a few years of infancy/teen challenges. This is now a mature technology and it  and it is now time for the on-sensor AF to take its step into the grown-up world. So I am really looking forward to what the slow ones (Canon/Nikon) have for us late this/early next year.
I still claim that a hybrid solution is best.

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2015, 22:07:15 »
Xiiii.... D5 already in the horizon and I'm not yet mastering at 100% my D4s

Well, you don't have to buy every model in the series. I think quite a lot of people are still using the D3s and even the original D3.

With cars, I think it's good to keep one in the family for 15-20 years, then maybe sell it and get a new one if the repair costs are getting too high.

PedroS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2015, 22:17:05 »
Well, you don't have to buy every model in the series. I think quite a lot of people are still using the D3s and even the original D3.

With cars, I think it's good to keep one in the family for 15-20 years, then maybe sell it and get a new one if the repair costs are getting too high.

Well, sure... but either I'm too slow to learn or Nikon is too fast releasing new models...  :D

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2015, 22:18:03 »
I keep the D3S as it is a reliable and good work horse. At one point it may replace my battered D2H used for product shots in the studio.

The D800 might end being converted to IR. It's not a bad camera, not at all, but I never really bonded with it.

At present I can not make any reasonable argument for taking an interest in a machine-gunning D5, 1 M (?)ISO and 4K video notwithstanding.

Andrea B.

• Technical Adviser
« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2015, 22:21:50 »
oh man I already want that D5 sooooo bad. I LOVE shooting action stuff. But the prices are so high for this line. The D3S could do *everything*. I still miss it. So I'm hoping the D5 will prove to be a do everything model.

bobfriedman

• NG Supporter
  • Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #35 on: June 25, 2015, 23:28:03 »
i would wait until the bugs are out.. i bought the D4 right away and it was no where near as good as the D4s... could have been that manufacturing run of the D4 for the olympics was rushed but i would have expected more for a $6k US cam.
Robert L Friedman, Massachusetts, USA
www.pbase.com/bobfriedman

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #36 on: June 25, 2015, 23:45:13 »
i bought the D4 right away and it was no where near as good as the D4s... could have been that manufacturing run of the D4 for the olympics was rushed but i would have expected more for a $6k US cam.

Well, it was made in Sendai and you know what happened there in 2011.  I hope similar circumstances do not repeat any time soon.

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #37 on: June 25, 2015, 23:58:30 »

Another version would be a darn fast version of the D810, like 8 or 9 fps and better AF point distribution, pus a new line of lenses supporting AF with builtin intelligence. Why not software upgrade our lenses if we can software upgrade our cars?
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

bobfriedman

• NG Supporter
  • Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #38 on: June 26, 2015, 01:28:31 »
i bought the D4 right away and it was no where near as good as the D4s... could have been that manufacturing run of the D4 for the olympics was rushed but i would have expected more for a $6k US cam.

Well, it was made in Sendai and you know what happened there in 2011.  I hope similar circumstances do not repeat any time soon.

nor do i... was a horrible chain of events for the Japanese people..  forgive me if i sounded insensitive.
Robert L Friedman, Massachusetts, USA
www.pbase.com/bobfriedman

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #39 on: June 26, 2015, 08:34:28 »
Introducing new technology just because it's there is not always the wise decision...

Remember almost all the fancy new stuff what ever gismo you buy over here in the west including USA is transported on a ship from Asia powered by a good old two stroke Diesel engine! Why, because it get's the job done. No new fancy technology can compare to it's reliability and running costs.
Sure it's come a long way since Rudolf took out a patent for it, but the engine parts and principles are still the same, we have added computers to run it and it's running cleaner but that's it. BTW the computers on those things are making more shit than fun for the crew ;) Apparently no one could foresee just how much environmental beating a computer gets in an engine room.

So let's assume Nikon and Canon are wise companies... Then they stay on the path and continue to use proven fail safe technology in their professional series of equipment - Sure they introduce new features but seriously don't expect huge technology leaps for those intended segments IMHO
They will introduce the sketchy new gismos in the consumer products...

Sorry for the sidetrack :) I'll look forward to see what you come up with should be included, traditionally many of you here are spot on with your predictions!
Erik Lund

Jørgen Ramskov

• NG Supporter
  • Aarhus, Denmark
« Reply #40 on: June 26, 2015, 08:55:41 »
For safety reasons mostly, I would argue against that. The improments in that area in the last 20-30 years has been massive and it continues. One feature we will not be without in our next car is adaptive cruise control. I believe most of the car accidents are rear-end crashes, having a radar on the car so it will automatically brake if you don't do it (we're all terrible at driving) would prevent many accidents. /off topic
Jørgen Ramskov

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #41 on: June 26, 2015, 09:50:11 »
Erik: The F3 had a fail safe mechanical time (only one) for no one really trusted electronic shutters at the time. That is why I got a FM-2 with all times build mechanically and beautifully so (1/250 X-sync and 1/4000 max).

Today we trust a Tesla car with our lives, not only with our next shot, software controlled over the air as well as the SpaceX rockets that sometimes receive updates only minutes before take off.

What do I learn from this? It needs geniuses like Elon and his crew to build such a thing safely but we also came a long way and stand on the shoulders of giants.

Meaning for the topic: The D5 can have EVF additionally if it does not disrupt the workings of the OVF. New tech supplements old tech to build trust.

F.

PS: The freighters that burn the dirtiest Oil available will hopefully be replaced by proven technology: Clean nuclear engines we find in every other ice breaker and Submarine.
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #42 on: June 26, 2015, 09:54:36 »
Keep the discussion to the rumoured camera, gents.

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #43 on: June 26, 2015, 10:06:42 »
We behave.

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #44 on: June 26, 2015, 10:18:57 »
I know, but a friendly reminder once in a while won't hurt anyone.