Author Topic: Nikon Rumors: Nikon D5 is coming  (Read 28618 times)

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: Nikon Rumors: Nikon D5 is coming
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2015, 12:56:02 »
I have only briefly experimented with it but in the latest FX cameras (e.g. D810) the "dynamic 51-point 3D" or whatever it is called is fairly well able to maintain focus on a subject in those cameras which have higher resolution matrix meters. I think it would be possible to first point the manually selected point to the bird once and activate the focusing, then as the bird turns its head, just turn the camera to recompose the shot and let the camera take care of finding where the bird is in the frame (within the area covered by the AF sensor array). It might not work 100% of the time but neither does single point focusing. It's worth trying it if you have one of the 2014 cameras.

The D4(s) doesn't have an AF-L/AE-L button to reprogram. Although I don't feel the need for two thumb buttons, if they can be reprogrammed in a flexible way, it may find uses.  :)

I don't think an increased AF point spread is possible, unless it is based on focusing using the main imaging sensor, which in turn has its limitations. However, what Nikon might be persuaded to do is increase the spread of cross-type sensors, although in the latest interviews they seemed to regard that there is a compromise between achieving low light sensitivity and a lot of cross type sensors, and they seemed to prefer a layout where low light sensitivity of the focusing is optimized.

One way to solve the need to have larger focus point spread is to use a high resolution camera such as D810, and when required,  compose in such a way that you can achieve a very-off-center composition by cropping a bit from one or two sides; this typically requires no more than (say) 10-30% of the image area to be lost, and with a 36MP sensor you still have 24MP or more (maybe next year we will have 50+MP, so there is even less damage). The 1.2X crop mode on the D810 is also something that can be used and works quite well. Finally there is the D7200, although that camera seems to have a lower resolution matrix meter which can affect the performance of the automatic subject recognition and tracking, if you want to use that.

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2015, 13:43:55 »
With regards to the 173 AF points I suspect there will be a surprise for us. Jamming such a dense cluster of registrators within the "normal" AF real estate leads me to think hybridism.

Sometimes these "rumors" are way off,  sometimes spot on. Usually the more accurate rumors appear a few days before announcement.

15fps seems a lot for a  DSLR as well, so it may be in mirror up operation in which case only the on-sensor autofocus would be available (or none at all). If Nikon can make the mirror move up and down at 15fps it would be an accomplishment certainly. I don't need high fps but for dance photography and figure skating it would be occasionally useful, but for that I think 10fps is already fine. I think it's highly likely that the top speed is achieved with the mirror up (which limits the applications of the high speed feature).

Hybrid EVF and OVF may compromise the quality of both. Fuji says they haven't made a physical update to the X-Pro1 because the XT-1 EVF cannot be incorporated in a hybrid OVF/EVF design and the X-Pro1 users would expect an OVF to be available.

I think a better solution would be interchangeable viewfinders with EVF and OVF options for different applications and user requirements. This is what I would prefer actually, although it would no doubt be expensive.

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2015, 14:21:10 »
I don't think the improvements in nominal top high ISO rating in the camera translate to corresponding real world image quality improvements; the raw data is improving a lot slower than the nominal ISO specs but image processing and improved dynamic range in the sensors have made the results at ultra high ISOs a bit more acceptable.

I would like a Df II also. I mainly would like the AF system from the D750 (or whatever is in the D5, if possible, but the D750 AF system seems to be more likely to fit in the space available in the Df body) to be inserted in the Df and the battery to be the same as used in the D810/D750/D7200 so that I could just have one charger and one type of batteries. Otherwise I really like the Df but I'm hoping there is an update.

I also think it is nice that there are some cameras where the surface real estate is optimized for still photography. The ergonomics can be better that way. I think video shooters would also prefer cameras with controls optimized for video. I can see the merits of hybrid designs but I also don't see why every camera should need to be a hybrid.

bobfriedman

• NG Supporter
  • Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2015, 14:45:20 »
Canon 1Dx does 12 fps raw,  14 fps jpeg.  And that camera is way past due on a Tech refresh
Would be curious to know under what conditions 15 fps.   
Robert L Friedman, Massachusetts, USA
www.pbase.com/bobfriedman

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2015, 14:56:51 »
Canon 1Dx does 12 fps raw,  14 fps jpeg.

The 14 fps in the 1D X is only available with mirror up (no viewfinder or AF). I guess it could be used  for wide angle action shots (that could be set for a lot of depth of field) e.g. snowboard jump shot sequences and similar situations.

One area where high fps can now be used  is in the studio with modern flash equipment (Elinchrom ELC can be fired at up to 20fps).

HCS

• NG Supporter
  • The Netherlands
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2015, 18:31:30 »
- Dual AF-ON buttons, with different AF points saved for portrait and landscape modes (so 4 AF points in total ready to go)

Fixed in the D810, it can be set to remember the focus point in each orientation, this goes for two sides in portrait. Now, one AF-ON button serves the purpose you're looking for (so that makes 3 iso 2 orientations).
I 'm afraid I do not understand what you are saying Hans  :-\

I would like to have two AF-ON buttons (for instance by programming the AE-L/AF-L button as such) with each activating different AF points (one on the left and one on the right) and those two pre selected AF points should change when I go into portrait mode to two other pre-selected AF points.

Quickly scanned the D810 manual but couldn't find the option to use the AE-L/AF-L button as a second AF-ON button but couldn't find anything solid on this.

Ah, then i understood wrong. I thought you wanted them linked to the orientation of the camera. The thing you're asking for is indeed not possible. But, the orientation thing is pretty sweet though.
Hans Cremers

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2015, 18:38:14 »
15 frames from MUP  with EVF. Great improvement.

I like to see the D5 to be a LEAP forward like the D3 was from the D2X not a small step to the side like the D4 from tbe D3s.
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Michael Erlewine

• Close-Up Photographer
  • NG Supporter
  • Close-Up with APO
    • Spirit Grooves
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2015, 18:53:00 »
It does not look interesting... enough for me. I need to see at least one of these:

EVF

More megapixels.

Lower ISO

Better LiveView
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com, Daily Blog at https://www.facebook.com/MichaelErlewine. main site: SpiritGrooves.net, https://www.youtube.com/user/merlewine, Founder: MacroStop.com, All-Music Guide, All-Movie Guide, Classic Posters.com, Matrix Software, DharmaGrooves.com

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2015, 19:37:29 »
Hybrid finder must come.

I do not really need better Frame rates if the AF does not hit much better.

I feel 24MP is not a huge step up from 16.

why not have 54MP and a 17 downsampled as fast as the D4s?
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Jørgen Ramskov

• NG Supporter
  • Aarhus, Denmark
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2015, 14:28:32 »
Nikon (and Canon) HAVE to respond to Sony's leaps in mirrorless "fullframe".

Indeed, the new Sony is quite interesting, the spread of AF focus points is quite impressive as can be seen here: http://www.dpreview.com/articles/7945517371/opinion-did-sony-just-do-the-impossible
Jørgen Ramskov

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2015, 15:18:08 »
The example videos of the AF tracking shows show relatively wide angle of view (not a close-up) and a fairly deep depth of field. I would like to see how it works on a 300/2.8 wide open in a similar situation (motor racing), with Sony lenses as well as adapted (e.g. Canon).

I unfortunately don't seem to be able to use an EVF. I just today tried the A7 and A6000 at a camera store and started feeling a bit ill after operating the cameras using the EVF. It's like the viewfinder image has some wobble as the camera is moved in different directions, also the action of zoom showed up in the viewfinder with a delay. The image was a bit flickery in the camera store lighting and had a bluish color cast. The cameras seemed to be highly responsive in other respects, the focus was snappy and there was no appreciable delay in the shutter firing after pressing the release button. Using the camera felt a bit like the ground was wobbly under me I could feel it in my legs and stomach (the EVF has some distracting effect on my vestibular system I guess). I don't know if I could get over these but I don't want to try again in a while. Perhaps I've used OVF cameras too long and it's become an integral part of my brain, how it's supposed to work. I don't get the nausea if I use the back LCD of a camera, I guess it's because it's just a small part of the visual field so the effect is much more mild.

A classical style D5 would fit me well. Improvements to the AF, some additional resolution and speed,  improved viewfinder clarity and it would be a perfect match.

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2015, 16:47:04 »
Indeed for an EVF to be interesting on a camera like the D5 you need to have a super fast playback of what the sensor picks up, this 'lapse in time' where everything is smeared and not 'in sync' with the movements, zoom and panning etc. of the camera is not for action or PJ style photography at all.

I really like the size of the first Sony A7X models and for sure they work with some lenses, just see Jan Ann Zeiss 35mm 1.4 OMG it's nice.

But definetly not with most of my wide Leica M lenses - focus peaking is not for me on those lenses - everything was more or less red :)
Erik Lund

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2015, 20:08:01 »
I'd associate EVF with still shots and MF lenses (where loupe or focus peaking are a decisive advantage, especially in low light and with wide angles). For action shots, something to which the D5 seems predestinated, it is less relevant.
Airy Magnien

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2015, 20:17:39 »
Maybe there arrives a point in time in which we can have a hybrid system with light amplification and zooming capability overlaid an optical viewfinder. Push a button and the finder lights up.  We are not there yet - far from it.

EVFs are getting better, but they still can be an eyesore and cause a perception of nausea for *some* users. I'm afraid I find myself there and apparently I'm not alone.

If a D5 arrives, we will quickly see what the Nikon boffins have come up with. The evolution of digitals cameras is beginning to slow down as the camera technology mature and in a stressed time of austerity, Nikon must have some real aces up their sleeve to push another high-end and likely expensive camera onto the market.

PedroS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2015, 21:10:16 »
 :o

Xiiii.... D5 already in the horizon and I'm not yet mastering at 100% my D4s