Author Topic: Nikon Rumors: Nikon D5 is coming  (Read 28506 times)

Jan Anne

• Noob
  • Global Moderator
  • Holland
    • Me on Flickr
Nikon Rumors: Nikon D5 is coming
« on: June 22, 2015, 19:16:39 »
Time for a good rumour, apparently the D5 is on its way with a 20MP FX sensor, 15fps, 100K native high ISO, 4K video, etc.

Read the details on Nikon Rumors here:
http://nikonrumors.com/2015/06/22/the-nikon-d5-is-rumored-to-have-a-native-high-iso-of-102400-and-4k-video.aspx/

As a former D3s owner these specs sound pretty impressive to me, what do you guys think?
Cheers,
Jan Anne

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
Re: Nikon Rumors: Nikon D5 is coming
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2015, 19:50:37 »
We really really need to have a camera break the 1 M ISO barrier ... what would be the future of photography with that hurdle still standing ??  :D

I probably hope for a Df2 in a not too distant future. But a camera without video of course.

Jan Anne

• Noob
  • Global Moderator
  • Holland
    • Me on Flickr
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2015, 20:36:19 »
I remember a couple of things on my wish list after my 2,5 years using the D3s:
- A wider spread of the AF points with AF points at least on and preferably beyond the rule of third grid lines
- Dual AF-ON buttons, with different AF points saved for portrait and landscape modes (so 4 AF points in total ready to go)
- Flash compensation button when using the small SB-400 flash (fixed on the D4s if I'm not mistaken, no issue with built in flash cams)
- Second wheel used to turn auto-ISO on and off (fixed in D800E if I remember correctly)

Especially the first two are high on the priority list whenever I get back into the wildlife / zoo animal arena, focus is critical for animal portraits and animals tend to look around at lot so having two AF-ON buttons with AF points ready to go on both sides of the rule of third grid lines would for me be a gift from heaven.
Cheers,
Jan Anne

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2015, 20:39:25 »
I want a hybrid viewfinder = MUP + EVF or MDWN + OVF.
I want absolute silent operation with global electronic shutter.
I want IBIS and Olympus Style AF speed and precision.

so or so. If it is not a total loser in reviews it might well become my present for christmas or easter
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

HCS

• NG Supporter
  • The Netherlands
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2015, 20:47:15 »
- Dual AF-ON buttons, with different AF points saved for portrait and landscape modes (so 4 AF points in total ready to go)

Fixed in the D810, it can be set to remember the focus point in each orientation, this goes for two sides in portrait. Now, one AF-ON button serves the purpose you're looking for (so that makes 3 iso 2 orientations).
Hans Cremers

stenrasmussen

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2015, 20:52:00 »
With regards to the 173 AF points I suspect there will be a surprise for us. Jamming such a dense cluster of registrators within the "normal" AF real estate leads me to think hybridism.

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2015, 21:00:46 »
PS ... A touch screen for AF track selection with advanced pattern recognition for birds and bees
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

bobfriedman

• NG Supporter
  • Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2015, 21:03:00 »
20Mpx and 15fps works for me... it can be the difference between catching the berry in the air with the tongue or not.. however, i managed to do it with the D4 at 10fps or maybe less with AF, Auto-ISO on..

example: http://www.pbase.com/bobfriedman/image/155740780
Robert L Friedman, Massachusetts, USA
www.pbase.com/bobfriedman

Jan Anne

• Noob
  • Global Moderator
  • Holland
    • Me on Flickr
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2015, 22:50:25 »

Fixed in the D810, it can be set to remember the focus point in each orientation, this goes for two sides in portrait. Now, one AF-ON button serves the purpose you're looking for (so that makes 3 iso 2 orientations).
I 'm afraid I do not understand what you are saying Hans  :-\

I would like to have two AF-ON buttons (for instance by programming the AE-L/AF-L button as such) with each activating different AF points (one on the left and one on the right) and those two pre selected AF points should change when I go into portrait mode to two other pre-selected AF points.

Quickly scanned the D810 manual but couldn't find the option to use the AE-L/AF-L button as a second AF-ON button but couldn't find anything solid on this.
Cheers,
Jan Anne

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2015, 23:25:43 »
I have never even thought about two Af points... When would you need that?

I can see that a larger spread would be nice but often the lens has less sharpness as you go further out of the frame and you stop down and then don't need precision since you have more dof...

Anyway - looking forward to see it. and the new D2f as well ;)
Erik Lund

Jan Anne

• Noob
  • Global Moderator
  • Holland
    • Me on Flickr
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2015, 00:12:39 »
I have never even thought about two Af points... When would you need that?
I've spend many hours in the zoo waiting for the right moment to capture some animal portraits and those f*ckers won't sit still for a second and with the very shallow DOF correct focus is critical with no time for "focus and recompose", changing AF points to the other side, manual focus, etc (at least not at my skill level).

Here's an example with the D3s and 200/2VR, focus point is roughly on the top right rule of thirds point to get the eye in focus and have the bird look into the image for a pleasing composition.

But when the bird looks the other way I need the AF point on the opposite side of the frame, by the time I've changed AF point the bird usually looks the other way again and decides to do so for a while until I change the AF point again and on it goes. With two AF-ON buttons I would just recompose using the other AF-ON button and take a 3 to 5 shot burst.
Cheers,
Jan Anne

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2015, 01:52:07 »
For this couple of years, I've been keen on the new models of Nikon DSLR, not really for my next purchase but for the change of the basic control layout which I find not logical or sophisticated.  I've never really liked the splattered layout of the three buttons around the shutter release.  I hope a reasonable change is applied to D5.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2015, 06:54:58 »
I second Jan Anne's wish list. With all these buttons lying around, a reconfiguration to dual AF-ON should not be that difficult... including, possibly, firmware revisions for older cameras.
As the Df has become my main camera (instead of the D800), I wish it had a less cramped AF zone. The broad rectangular AF detection zone of the Olympus OM-Ds are just right, for instance.

Until now Nikon issued a "reduced size" camera, eg D3 > D700, D4 > Df built around the same sensor. I'd be curious to see what happens here. The D-one digit family is just not the right size for me.
Airy Magnien

stenrasmussen

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2015, 06:57:34 »
Nikon (and Canon) HAVE to respond to Sony's leaps in mirrorless "fullframe".

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2015, 07:03:16 »
Indeed, and providing a decent hybrid solution could be one way. But let us firszt see the D5.
Airy Magnien