Author Topic: NG Scotland 2016  (Read 94701 times)

simato73

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: NG Scotland 2016
« Reply #525 on: May 26, 2016, 18:15:34 »
A couple more from Glen Etive.

I have not been able to go to Glen Etive and from all I've seen it seems a place to which I must go when I go back to Scotland.
Pity the chances of a weather like that repeating are slim.
Simone Tomasi

simato73

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #526 on: May 26, 2016, 22:55:58 »
Morar
Simone Tomasi

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #527 on: May 27, 2016, 00:01:03 »
window at Paterson's
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

David Paterson

• NG Member
  • Retired, but not tired, photographer
« Reply #528 on: May 27, 2016, 11:20:59 »
I have not been able to go to Glen Etive and from all I've seen it seems a place to which I must go when I go back to Scotland.
Pity the chances of a weather like that repeating are slim.

Not all that slim. The weather we had during The Week has pretty much remained the same here - warm sunshine, cool breeze, very clear air. We had some rain last week, mainly overnight; I've been out shooting every day.

Scottish weather is usually pretty reliable in May/June and Sept/October; this year March was fantastic (this is unusual). The months to avoid are July and August - wet, humid, lots of midges, LOTS of tourists.

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #529 on: May 27, 2016, 11:27:23 »
another window at Paterson's, this time a very old hand made pane that confuses the light shining through to a very nice effect
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #530 on: May 27, 2016, 11:44:51 »
When we were on our assignment to shoot the Loch near the Train, I found an open church door. You know I have a thing with pipe organs so I went there to check on the musical instruments there:

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #531 on: May 27, 2016, 11:49:23 »
Not sure if you are interested in my opinion, each one has their own tastes, be here it goes.
This pano and the previous framing all have elements of interest, which are mutually exclusive, but they also share some interesting and difficult features.

The first set has more sense of depth, showing all the slope down to the lake, with its beautiful texture. The lighting is reasonably uniform across the whole composition.

In the second image there is a clear divide between foreground and distant ground; these two are also separated by a great difference in exposure. In this case I think the image would work better if one went one or another of two opposite directions. One possibility is to bring up shadow detail from the foreground, while trying to make the exposure as harmonious as possible in the far ground. The other is to give more emphasis to the far ground and the silhouetted figure in the notch; work on the exposure and colour of the far ground, letting the foreground go black and cropping out a good portion of it, to make the other walker disappear, while keeping the ridge profile intact.

Both have the defining feature of the rays, which also means that this is difficult lighting that poses technical challenges to the image. I seldom manage to get decent enough results from hazy and backlit landscapes like this, but I think with some work both could become good images.
Personally I feel the first composition will work better in black and white (perhaps with a slightly less dark sky).

I found time to edit this again. This time using NX-D to get a much better starting point.
As soon as I am finished I share the results with you
Thank you again for your inspiration, Hans!

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #532 on: May 27, 2016, 11:52:29 »
I still have lots of edited files ready to post.

Here are two Killin fishermen in front of a Killin church beside their car just next to the Killin Hotel where I had this Cereal called Haggis.

[[I remember Haggis to be more intestines that Oat ... still very intersting ...]]

simsurace

• NG Member
« Reply #533 on: May 27, 2016, 13:46:36 »

I found time to edit this again. This time using NX-D to get a much better starting point.
As soon as I am finished I share the results with you
Thank you again for your inspiration, Hans!

Didn't know that his second name is Hans... :D
Simone Carlo Surace
suracephoto.com

simato73

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #534 on: May 27, 2016, 14:18:01 »
Didn't know that his second name is Hans... :D

Yeah, I was also wondering if I had missed a post by "Hans"
  :o
Simone Tomasi

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #535 on: May 27, 2016, 14:24:31 »
Yeah, I was also wondering if I had missed a post by "Hans"
  :o

Sorry. My memory did not serve me well. I was sure HCS did oroginally post new ideas on changing the edit??? My bad obviously.

Here is a rendering based on NX-D development (looks pretty much like it looked with bare eyes) and an edit using Silver Efx with a significant deviation from defaults in structure & contrast (looks more like it looked wearing dark polarizing sunglasses)

rosko

• Homo erectus manualfocus
  • NG Supporter
  • France/Uk
« Reply #536 on: May 27, 2016, 17:43:14 »
Here is a rendering based on NX-D development (looks pretty much like it looked with bare eyes) and an edit using Silver Efx with a significant deviation from defaults in structure & contrast (looks more like it looked wearing dark polarizing sunglasses)

Amazing to state how many detail you gained and making the shot more interesting !
Francis Devrainne

Thomas Stellwag

• NG Supporter
« Reply #537 on: May 31, 2016, 20:36:11 »
being back home now for some days, I can torture you with more pics

the boat

Thomas Stellwag

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #538 on: May 31, 2016, 20:37:35 »
Loch Ness.

Thomas Stellwag

• NG Supporter
« Reply #539 on: May 31, 2016, 20:51:09 »
trees at the head of the loch

Thomas Stellwag