Author Topic: Black & white  (Read 4533 times)

abergon

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Portfolio
Black & white
« on: March 12, 2016, 09:46:16 »
One of my first shots with the Nikon Df, with 35mm f/2.8 non-AI lens.

Critiques and comments welcome.

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
Re: Black & white
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2016, 10:05:45 »
This looks well both from the camera and lens perspective. The b/w is OK although you might get the overall impression a little snappier by judicious use of a curve tool.

What version of the 35/2.8 is this? If it has a relatively small front element, it may be the latest optical model that is known to perform much better than the original Nikkor-S.

abergon

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Portfolio
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2016, 10:22:37 »
This looks well both from the camera and lens perspective. The b/w is OK although you might get the overall impression a little snappier by judicious use of a curve tool.

What version of the 35/2.8 is this? If it has a relatively small front element, it may be the latest optical model that is known to perform much better than the original Nikkor-S.

Bjørn, thanks for your useful comment, the curve tool is one of many I am struggling with.

As for the lens, judging by the serial number, 927147, and Roland's ever reliable website, it's a NIKKOR-S Auto 1:2.8 f=3.5cm, manufactured between 1959 and 1962. When you kindly pointed out to me earlier on that the Df was the way to go for backwards compatibility, I had no idea how true it was. I find amazing that there is more than half a century between lens and camera, and they work together.

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2016, 11:05:15 »
Put a CPU in it and the vintage difference ceases to exist .... Full interoperability with modern cameras is restored.

I have recently acquired the AI version of the 35 mm f/2.8, and that is the reason I asked for details of your lens. The AI performs so much better than the old 7-element design and amongst its better features is the very low amount of geometric distortion. Thus it is eminently suited for architecture.

Jakov Minić

• Jakov Minic
  • Global Moderator
  • The Hague, The Netherlands
    • Jakov Minić
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2016, 12:00:23 »
This lens seems nice and sharp and the BW conversion is pleasing.
Free your mind and your ass will follow. - George Clinton
Before I jump like monkey give me banana. - Fela Kuti
Confidence is what you have before you understand the problem. - Woody Allen

Anthony

• NG Supporter
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2016, 12:46:32 »
I like the composition.
Anthony Macaulay

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
  • Cape Town, South Africa
    • Elsa Hoffmann
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2016, 17:31:43 »
I agree with Bjørn - it needs more contrast for me too.

this is kind of what I would do - without spending time on the image.

Just a curve correction -

If you work in Photoshop - add a curve layer - then select the black point - and click on the darkest part of the image. Same with the white point.
I am not saying its perfect and of course you can play to your hearts content. But this often does the trick. Could even do with some more if you like.
I hope you dont mind me doing this - if you do - I will obviously delete the image.
"You don’t take a photograph – you make it” – Ansel Adams. Thats why I use photoshop.
www.phototourscapetown.com
www.elsa.co.za. www.intimateimages.co.za

abergon

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Portfolio
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2016, 19:04:19 »
Dear Elsa,

not only I don't mind, but I'm grateful.

Albert

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2016, 19:11:08 »
On a general note, mastering a curves tool makes for better and more appropriately fine-tuned outcome whether the workflow comprises b/w or colour images.

abergon

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Portfolio
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2016, 19:29:36 »
Another shot of the same series, using curve's tool as per Elsa's suggestion.

The shot was more contrasty to begin with. It was a cold and windy day, light was changing all the time.

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2016, 19:37:05 »
More contrast, but also less control over highlighted areas. Often one needs to make a curve adjustment with curves(!) not just a straight line between the darkest and brightest areas. Avoid auto-levelling in general, or at the very least pull it back by using the Fade Last Action option.

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
  • Cape Town, South Africa
    • Elsa Hoffmann
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2016, 19:40:51 »
tip:

I do a curves layer and set black point

then another curves tool and set white point - and bring the opacity slider down as you dont want the blown out portions like in your second image.

white point can be a problem and blow out - so if you separate the two on different layers  - you have better control.

Remember to look for the blackest point and the brightest point when using the curves layer. if you dont have those you dont always want to force the points - hence bringing the opacity down (you could lower opacity on either points or both. )

I prefer the opacity slider and not the fade function as you cant adjust it later - but opacity you can while your layers remain active - until you flatten the image for saving in jpg
"You don’t take a photograph – you make it” – Ansel Adams. Thats why I use photoshop.
www.phototourscapetown.com
www.elsa.co.za. www.intimateimages.co.za

abergon

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Portfolio
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2016, 20:06:31 »
Thanks to you both for the advice. That'll need more work and time.

Thomas G

• NG Supporter
  • lumofisk
    • Iceland round trip 2016
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2016, 20:53:42 »
One of my first shots with the Nikon Df, with 35mm f/2.8 non-AI lens.

Critiques and comments welcome.
I prefer the first over the second shot.
I like the perspective and the graphical elements of the building.
Decision for BW helps to bring out these structures. Good.

I have an issue with the sky unfortunately being a bit dull at the center viewpoint.
It would be bugging me.

Demonstration example considering Elsa's tip (plus curves, as I wanted the light unproportional rised), and a small vignette added in the center.

-/-/-

armando_m

• NG Supporter
  • Guadalajara México
    • http://armando-m.smugmug.com/
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2016, 21:10:00 »
nice composition

and thanks to the interactions there is always someting to learn, in this case using separate layers for blacks and highlights
Armando Morales
D800, Nikon 1 V1, Fuji X-T3