Author Topic: The Nikkor-Q 200mm f/4!  (Read 51324 times)

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
Re: The Nikkor-Q 200mm f/4!
« Reply #135 on: December 27, 2021, 21:41:13 »
From what I understood the 200/3.5 ED is the scaled up version of the 180/2.8 ED

Roland Vink

• NG Supporter
  • Nikon Nerd from New Zealand
    • Nikon Database
« Reply #136 on: December 27, 2021, 22:32:14 »
The 200/3.5 ED is an IF design with 8 elements in 6 groups. A similar configuration is found in the AI 300/2.8 IF-ED, AF 180/2.8 IF-ED and several other telephotos from the late 1970s - 1980s. The AI-S 180/2.8 ED is a unit focusing lens with 5 elements, the optics have more in common with the earlier unit-focusing telephotos with the separate focus unit.

Roland Vink

• NG Supporter
  • Nikon Nerd from New Zealand
    • Nikon Database
« Reply #137 on: December 27, 2021, 22:52:24 »
In my personal experience I found the 200/4 AIS to balance not equally well on a medium heavy camera as did the 200/4 Q. The focus travel is longer on the Q. The AI version has a nicer outline however foucsing is stiffer (I have tried several copies). The 200/4 AIS focuses smoother, perhaps too smooth, and has shorter travel. In terms of optical performance, the AI & AIS models outperform the Q Nikkors largely due to better image contrast, but perhaps their bokeh is a little less adorable.

Among the AIS lenses the 200/4 is unusual in that the focus throw is the same as the AI version at 205° (AIS lenses usually have a shorter focus throw). The K, AI and AIS versions all share the same 5-element optical design and the coatings are similar so there won't be any significant difference in optical performance. All have 9 aperture blades but the K and AI versions have "sawtooth" aperture openings at f/5.6 because the aperture blade tips don't fully overlap. The AIS version does not have this issue, giving a nice 9-sided polygon at all aperture settings without any spikes around the edge. The AIS version is marginally lighter and has a slimmer, and in my opinion, more attractive profile. For these reasons the AIS version is my first choice.

Among the earlier models, the last version is the Nikkor-Q.C, where the ".C" indicates the lenses are multicoated. This will give better colours and contrast compared to earlier versions, so if you like the appearance of the older lens this is the best choice unless you want an old-school low contrast look to your images. The slide-out hood is not as wobbly like the later versions and has a click-stop when fully extended so you are less likely to push it in by accident. The focus throw from infinity to 2m is 210°, so virtually the same as the later versions.

The early chrome barrel versions only focus to 3m which is rather limiting for this focal length.

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #138 on: December 28, 2021, 11:19:12 »
I tried to perform same test using my Nikkor Q-C 200/4 as I did a few posts ago using the 200/3.5 ED.
I did it this morning so light condition is not 100% identical but I think close enough to compare. Z50 at ISO400 handheld using zoom-in in viewfinder to focus at F4.
I was quite surprised by the performance. Why are so many lens elements used in todays lenses when four lens elements are enough? :-)
I remember years back that I was warned about getting this lens as it was said not to be able to make a sharp image. I then wondered why Nikon made it for so many years.
The bad reputations was probably because lens was used mostly by amateurs and used handheld with poor focus technique and slow shutter speed.

It is quite sharp wide open?
Attached the full frame image and three 100% crops.

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #139 on: December 28, 2021, 13:22:05 »
The Q 200 Nikkors have more chromatic aberrations with digital camera than the others options.

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #140 on: December 28, 2021, 13:49:07 »
A small amount of purple fringe?

I found an older Nikkor-Q boxed!
The old boxes were nicer than newer ones.
The focus action very smooth.
There were some papers included. Danish and Japanese warranty cards.
The lens was purchased 19th september, 1967 by someone. The fotoshop closed some years ago.

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #141 on: December 28, 2021, 14:37:39 »
I checked my 200mm f/4 QC  serial nr: 623955  last version of the Q

On the Z7  f/4    1/200  ISO 400    no corrections made

Second image 100% crop

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #142 on: December 28, 2021, 14:58:53 »
It shows some amount of purple fringe and sharpness is ok but not great?
I can see that the 200/3.5 ED images are a bit cleaner. On Z50 I was a bit more impressed by the 200 Q-C.
I used NX Studio to convert the RAW image. I wonder how much CA correction NX Studio makes by default. It does not know the lens so I guess it can't correct much?

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #143 on: December 28, 2021, 15:32:48 »
Many if not all of the modern RAW conversion programs can deal just fine with lateral CA. Axial colour (or longitudinal CA) is much more troublesome.

If you are in doubt, run RAW + Jpg in-camera and look at the jpgs later on. They tend to be pretty clean in terms of colour aberrations, unless the lens makes them in the plenty.

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #144 on: December 28, 2021, 16:46:52 »
Can see my NX Studio has Lateral correction activated.
Then the Q-C images would probably look a bit worse and 200/3.5 ED images would probably still look fine.
For pure lens test it is best to have it deactivated but for a practical lens test better to have it on as that would be the normal way to convert the images.

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #145 on: January 06, 2022, 08:39:05 »
It shows some amount of purple fringe and sharpness is ok but not great?
I can see that the 200/3.5 ED images are a bit cleaner. On Z50 I was a bit more impressed by the 200 Q-C.
I used NX Studio to convert the RAW image. I wonder how much CA correction NX Studio makes by default. It does not know the lens so I guess it can't correct much?
With down sizing on the Z7 most of the purple fringing is gone.  Anyway, it's easy to remove.  A pretty sharp lens on the Nikon Z7