Author Topic: How to get non-AI Nikkors converted?  (Read 155636 times)

desmobob

• NG Member
  • Freeze time... Save memories... Make photos!
Re: How to get non-AI Nikkors converted?
« Reply #90 on: January 16, 2019, 20:20:13 »
I just got five pre-Ai lenses back from conversion by John White on Monday.  (50mm f/2, 105mm f/2.5 Sonnar type, 105mm f/2.5 Gauss type, 135mm f/2.8 and 200mm f/4)

He did a great job and the turn-around was one week, including two-day shipping on each trip.  They all look good and function perfectly.  He is a gentleman, pleasant to deal with and I would not hesitate to recommend him.

Stay sharp,
Bob

Roland Vink

• NG Supporter
  • Nikon Nerd from New Zealand
    • Nikon Database
« Reply #91 on: January 16, 2019, 20:26:44 »
Recently I had the opportunity to purchase an early Nikkor P Auto 10.5cm, 9 blades lens.  The good news: the optics were good. The bad news: the previous owner used apperently a hacksaw to do an Ai modification..... It was too painful so I tried to restore this.
Basically it was a kind of dentist work. I first drilled tiny vertical holes so my filling material could create a strong grip. I then build-up the wall section with more material. Machined the material down following the original geometry. Sanding, filler/primer/topcoat. It will never be like the original but it's pretty close for a first attempt.  :)
Nice work - the previous owner should have sent it to you for your much nicer AI modification. I noticed that your lens has the extra little extension from the lower edge of the aperture ring, the so-called "long skirt" aperture ring. This feature is a carry-over from the original tick-mark series and is only found on the very earliest lenses. What is the serial number? The long overhang means there is insufficient clearance to fit on some cameras including the Df.

Bruno Schroder

• NG Supporter
  • Future is the only way forward
« Reply #92 on: January 16, 2019, 21:10:45 »
Great job!!
Bruno Schröder

MarcelvanEngen

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #93 on: January 16, 2019, 23:06:58 »
Nice work - the previous owner should have sent it to you for your much nicer AI modification. I noticed that your lens has the extra little extension from the lower edge of the aperture ring, the so-called "long skirt" aperture ring. This feature is a carry-over from the original tick-mark series and is only found on the very earliest lenses. What is the serial number? The long overhang means there is insufficient clearance to fit on some cameras including the Df.

Hi Roland, great to hear from you.
Yes this is the long skirt version and you are correct the long skirt version doesn't fit even on the Df. I restored it in its original long skirt way and left it like that. Swapped an aperture ring over from an other 105mm (documented) for time being with my Ai modification to enjoy the 9 blades.
The serial number is 123632. Gold coloured lens coating front and back. Meter/feet. Lens made in Japan Pat.Pend. Seems you need to update your amazing Dbase :-)

MarcelvanEngen

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #94 on: January 16, 2019, 23:21:49 »
Great job!!
Bedankt :-) Any questions related to ''invisible'' Ai mod. let me know.

Roland Vink

• NG Supporter
    • Nikon Database
« Reply #95 on: August 13, 2019, 08:54:53 »
Someone from Camera Rescue Project in Finland told me that they bought the Nikon AI conversion kits stock from the Finnish importer. You can find some for sale here: https://kamerastore.com/products/search-Conversion%20kit/
I don't have any connection with them, just passing on the information :)

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #96 on: August 13, 2019, 10:25:23 »
Wow, that is amazing ;)
Imagine how many years they have been lying around collecting dust,,,

Thank you for the heads up Ronald!

I bought a couple of them since some of the pre-Ai was very short skit length,,,  8)
Edit to add, remember to check Ronalds page for the correct Kit # for the specific lens!
http://www.photosynthesis.co.nz/nikon/serialno.html
Erik Lund

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #97 on: August 19, 2019, 10:58:43 »
The Ai kits I got are in original boxes, never even seen that before  :D
Erik Lund

Wannabebetter

• NG Member
  • Grateful For The Instruction Provided Me
« Reply #98 on: September 18, 2019, 21:19:58 »
Thank you very much, Roland.

f4-fan

• NG Member
  • Camera Moralia - Digicams for social justice!
    • Fotogemeinschaft.de - moving moments...
Re: Has someone converted the Micro-Nikkor Auto 1:3,5 f=55mm for a D850?
« Reply #99 on: January 13, 2020, 15:51:58 »
I have an old

Micro-Nikkor Auto 1:3,5 f=55mm (the recommended version on naturfotograf.com: "a lens with chrome barrel, magnification factors printed in light blue, and hill-and-dale focusing and aperture collars")
Ser.Nr.: 190605

and would like to adapt this lens on my new D850.

Has anyone experience with this adaption?

Thanks Ralf
Ralf
Fehmarn, SH, Germany
Fotogemeinschaft.de - moving moments...

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #100 on: January 13, 2020, 17:42:13 »
I have an old

Micro-Nikkor Auto 1:3,5 f=55mm (the recommended version on naturfotograf.com: "a lens with chrome barrel, magnification factors printed in light blue, and hill-and-dale focusing and aperture collars")
Ser.Nr.: 190605

and would like to adapt this lens on my new D850.

Has anyone experience with this adaption?

Thanks Ralf
Here are the most basic info in this post:

https://nikongear.net/revival/index.php?topic=2650.msg33650#msg33650

Erik Lund

f4-fan

• NG Member
  • Camera Moralia - Digicams for social justice!
    • Fotogemeinschaft.de - moving moments...
« Reply #101 on: January 13, 2020, 17:59:38 »
Here are the most basic info in this post:

https://nikongear.net/revival/index.php?topic=2650.msg33650#msg33650

Thanks! I have seen this page, but unfortunately I am no "do-it-yourselfer"...
I've also asked someone who professionally repairs lenses; however, he advised against an Ai conversion - it would be too expensive.

1. I would like to know, if someone has tried an adapted version of just this lens on the D850 and if it is worth the costs of adapting... (I cannot do this by myself) -

2. I am looking for someone in Germany, who is able to do this.... (I know - in the US there ist someone http://www.aiconversions.com - but it would be rather expensive, to send the lens in the US)

Ralf
Ralf
Fehmarn, SH, Germany
Fotogemeinschaft.de - moving moments...

Asle F

• NG Member
  • Hovet, Norway
    • Fjell og foto, my mountain and photo blog in Norwegian
« Reply #102 on: January 13, 2020, 20:38:24 »
All you need is a small screwdriver and a file.
You start with unscrewing the tiny screw on the aperture ring (about opposite 32). Then you screw the aperture ring off (it is threaded). File off enough of the aperture ring (almost to the screws of the rabbit ear) to between 1 an 6 in 16.
Screw on the aperture ring until the tiny screw will enter.
It takes less than 15 minutes, and suddenly you have became a "do-it-yourselfer".

Or you can use it as it is, with K1 ring (very short extension and stoped down metering) or M2 ring (for 1:2 to 1:1 and automatic aperture but no AI so the metering will be off).
There is no illusion, it just looks that way.

Roland Vink

• NG Supporter
    • Nikon Database
« Reply #103 on: January 13, 2020, 20:52:37 »
If you don't want to do it yourself, take the aperture ring off as Asle said, and send it to Marcel Van Engen - he is a member here (MarcelvanEngen). His website is here:

https://magnimopus.com/services/

He can do a professional AI conversion which preserves the original appearance of the lens. While home AI conversions may be functional (assuming you file the aperture ring correctly) many are quite ugly and may reduce the resale value.

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #104 on: January 13, 2020, 22:09:23 »
That looks so elegant a solution