Author Topic: Which XQD-Card & Card reader?  (Read 7401 times)

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
Which XQD-Card & Card reader?
« on: January 06, 2016, 18:59:47 »
So Nikon finally made their statement by not only keeping with the XQD standard in their Flagship but introducing another Camera with XQD claimed to need the new cardstandard for maximum performace. No other company followed Nikon on this way today. Also the C-Fast-Standard has not surfaced yet.

With my D3 I bought the biggest, fastest cards I could find on Nikon's list at that time and they basicly stayed in the camera ever since (2 x Extreme IV Sandisk, each 120€ for 8GB).

So: Which XQD-Card & Card-Reader makes sense?

Today (6.Jan.2016) on amazon.de:

Lexar Professional 32GB 1333x Speed XQD Memory Card = 121,90 €
Lexar Professional 64GB 1333x Speed XQD Memory Card = 176,90 €
Sony QD-G64 XQD CARD = 338,12 €
Sony QD-G128 XQD CARD = 679,80 €
Lexar XQD Card 32GB 2933x Professional = 168,34 €
Lexar LXQD32GCTBEU1100 Professional 32GB XQD = 260,35 €
Lexar XQD 64GB = 136,91 €

I am confused. The Purple claims to be the fastest of them all (440MB/s speed grade).

And now card readers: Is USB3.0 fast enough to handle the amount of data?

Frank

You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Bjørn J

• NG Member
  • North of the Arctic Circle
Re: Which XQD-Card & Card reader?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2016, 19:49:54 »
Nikon guarantees the D5 speed (200 frames in 14-bit lossless NEF) when using Lexar 2933x XQD 2.0 card. So if you want speed, that's the card to get.
The Lexar XQD card reader should be a good choice: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1186728-REG/lexar_lrwxr2tbna_pro_workflow_xr2_xqd.html
Bjørn Jørgensen

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2016, 19:51:57 »
D500 does have support for an SD card, Frank.

The XQD is required for unleashing the full potential of these cameras when you shoot rapid sequences or video.

I shot long sequences with the D5 at 12 frames/sec and it was amazing how the XQD dealt effortlessly with the data traffic.

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2016, 21:37:02 »
Hm, what is the max speed necessary for these cameras?

The best SD-Cards claim 160MB/s (whatever that means)
The best XQD-Cards claim 440MB/s (whatever that means)
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Jan Anne

• Noob
  • Global Moderator
  • Holland
    • Me on Flickr
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2016, 21:44:11 »
If the D500 has a buffer of roughly 20-30 frames with an SD card I'm fine with SD, especially as the Mac comes standard with an SD slot.

No need to pay for stuff I don't need, if SD is too slow then so be it and we go all in with XQD :)
Cheers,
Jan Anne

MILLIREHM

• NG Supporter
  • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2016, 23:33:59 »
Sony XQD G type claims 400 MB/S reading and 350 MB/s writing
The lexar card claims 440 and is nominally faster - ist this also valid for writing (which is the relevant issue here) ?
Wolfgang Rehm

Jørgen Ramskov

• NG Supporter
  • Aarhus, Denmark
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2016, 11:59:15 »
I am confused. The Purple claims to be the fastest of them all (440MB/s speed grade).

And now card readers: Is USB3.0 fast enough to handle the amount of data?
USB3.0 is around 625MB/s (5Gbit/s) theoretical max, so you should be able to get more or less the max speed out of your cards.
Jørgen Ramskov

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2016, 17:26:29 »
thank you Jørgen!

Andrea B.

• Technical Adviser
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2016, 19:31:32 »
I'm not sure if the card speeds being quoted are Read Speeds or Write Speeds?

I got a Sony 32GB XQD with a 400 MB/s Read Speed and a 350 MB/s Write Speed. I got this card because it came with a USB 3.0 Adapter which meant I would not need a card reader.

Well, actually, the XQD USB Adapter *is* a card reader I suppose.

The separately sold Sony XQD Card Reader is a long rectangular thinger with a USB cord.
The Sony XQD USB Adapter is a slightly shorter rectanglar thinger with a USB cord AND a built in USB plug covered by a cap. So as a gadget, I like the Adapter better than the Reader.  ;D

Given a Read Speed of 400 versus 440 MB/s, I didn't think I would see much of a difference? So I just went with the good price and added adapter on the day I bought my XQD card.

Thomas G

• NG Supporter
  • lumofisk
    • Iceland round trip 2016
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2016, 19:51:50 »
Read/Write speed will also depend on the card used,
As they use different cells alignments  and possibly different internal controllers.
Also the USB host may like one or the other card reader better.

I found USB 3 Kingston readers very reliable and fast for CF (single level cell and multi level cell) and SD (and XD, HC subtypes) and compatible to most hosts at the same time.
-/-/-

MFloyd

• NG Supporter
  • My quest for the "perfect" speed blur
    • Adobe Portfolio
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2016, 09:07:37 »
In Switzerland, you get the LEXAR XQD 2933 32 GB 440 Mo/s for CHF 72.60 or €66.5, a huge price difference with the Amazon.de €168....
I received with my Nikon D5 the Sony G 32 GB card together with the reader; attention I have also a Sony XQD S (180 MB/s); the latter card is NOT readable with the Sony USB reader; the card works fine with the D5 tough.
Γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2016, 09:55:49 »
MFloyd. Thank you for sharing your experience. I am sure prices will go down when the
mass market D500 enters this month.