Author Topic: Has anyone compared nikon 24mm 1.4G and 1.8G? (and sigma 24mm art perhaps)  (Read 30460 times)

Almass

No, I'm referring to Nikkor lenses - I have no clue to Sigma lenses
Thanks for you sharing ;) about Sigma

Excellent choice. You saved yourself wasted time and money.

We are still waiting for Frank to advise where did he see Micheal. E elusive post on testing Sigma Art 24 v the Nikkor 24/1.4G.

PeterN

• NG Member
I did contact Michael and he wrote the following in the PM (quote endorsed by Michael):

"The Sigma to me is just a stopgap measure until the new Zeiss Otus 28mm APO lens is released. I never owned the Nikon f/1.4 24mm G, but I did study the specs and photos, and I had the 35mm f/1.4.

Unfortunately, for my work most of Nikon's better lenses are not corrected highly enough for me (non APO), and I am probably too particular. My comments on many close-up lenses can be found at my site MacroStop.com, under free e-books or videos."

I hope that clarifies Michael's opinions.
Peter

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
Thank you Almass for your insights / experipence from a studio pro perspective!

Thank you PeterN for contacting MichaelE. So his remark was a general one concerning the correction of current Nikkors not the 1.4/24mm in particular.

From my experience with the 1.4/24G I could never acquire the bitingly sharp detail rendering I have seen with many examples from the Sigma 1.4/24Art. As I used the same technique I use with the Micro Nikkor 60G or the 4.0/200mm Micro or diverse incarnations of the 85mm Prortait Nikkors which all deliver on any promise I feel it has to do with the 24mm-Nikkor not with me.

Frank

I have used the 1.4/24mm since I bought it shortly after it appeared with the following cameras: D7000, D3, D600, D800E, D750, D810.
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

PeterN

• NG Member
Thankyou, Frank for sharing your experience. Much appreciated!

I am still interested in learning more about the experience w.r.t use of nikon 24mm 1.4 and 1.8g.

So I wait with buying a 24mm for now.

Which is a good thing for my bank account. ;-)
Peter

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
The center sharpness of the 24mm 1.4 G is the same at 1.4 as 60mm G at 2.8!!! and same center sharpness as one of the sharpest Nikkors around the 85mm 1.4 G

Sure the 24mm lack behind in the corners wide open but catches up.

Read any review with MTF or what ever, It's an outstanding lens.
Start with Lensrentals.

Erik Lund

John Harkus

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
Umm, not according to lenstip, not even close

John

The center sharpness of the 24mm 1.4 G is the same at 1.4 as 60mm G at 2.8!!! and same center sharpness as one of the sharpest Nikkors around the 85mm 1.4 G

Sure the 24mm lack behind in the corners wide open but catches up.

Read any review with MTF or what ever, It's an outstanding lens.
Start with Lensrentals.

Bruno Schroder

• NG Supporter
  • Future is the only way forward
LensRentals has a comparison of the Nikon and Sigma at the bottom of the post here: http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2015/06/measuring-lens-variance
Bruno Schröder

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
Bruno: Thanks for the link, which is very very interesting in many respects and of course I did not stop to read after this new test setup description, but read through a lot of stuff on this site to find the measurements of the "no one was able to do this before" lens SIGMA ART 1.4/20mm. Impressed. Thank you again.
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

PeterN

• NG Member
It is an interesting read indeed. I've never been a big reader of MTF charts but having some data on lens variation is very interesting indeed!
Thanks, Bruno.
Peter

Tom Hook

• Tom
  • NG Member
This subject is interesting to me because I have loved the 24 1.4G since I bought it five years ago: the color, the sufficient sharpness when needed, the out of focus rendering. It has therefore been with some dismay I have been reading about the Sigma 24 1.4 and how it blows away the Nikon for half the price. I haven't seen any examples from the Sigma but I wonder what I am missing with my beloved Nikon? Since this thread has no examples as yet, for discussion's sake, let me post one of my own. It is cropped for composition purposes so that may defeat my effort to defend the lens I have and give ammunition to the lens I have not.

This photo was shot an hour or so ago of my Crown of Thorns at a window which looks onto my porch and beyond to the yard and woods. It is wide open at 100 iso handheld and while the sharpness does not skirt along the razor's edge it has a pleasing softness (at least to me). No sharpening was done to it. Its inherent characteristics that draw me to the lens are here reflected as best as I can render them. No claims of art are made (unlike the Sigma!), I just think this thread needs a picture or two.

As for the Nikon 24 1.8G, I know nothing about it.

Bruno Schroder

• NG Supporter
  • Future is the only way forward
I can see why you love it
Bruno Schröder

Jakov Minić

• Jakov Minic
  • Global Moderator
  • The Hague, The Netherlands
    • Jakov Minić
That's a lovely image Tom!
You keep that lens and keep on shooting, no doubt about it!
The rendering of the out of focus areas is adorable.

I agree, photos are most welcome to this topic :)
Free your mind and your ass will follow. - George Clinton
Before I jump like monkey give me banana. - Fela Kuti
Confidence is what you have before you understand the problem. - Woody Allen

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
Not to be misunderstood: I will keep my 1.4/24G lens. It is a great piece of glass.
I took many lovely shots with it, but I still do not feel competent in 24mm like I feel at home with 50 or 85...

... or 35 ... (which was in effect the 24s on my DX-Bodies)

PeterN

• NG Member
That's a lovely image Tom!

+1

I agree, photos are most welcome to this topic :)

Especially when they show the differences between the lenses, which I am so curious about. ;-)
Peter

Peter Forsell

• NG Member
  • A Cunning Linguist
D3S + Sigma 24 Art.

Making preparations for the Finnish independence day festivities that are tomorrow, December 6th. I shot a few frames during the day. My daughter is making cookies (with her Santa hat on, of course) for the youngsters, and I have prepared something for the grown ups.

Sorry, cannot provide any comparison shots as I only have the Sigma. It is plenty sharp and the bokeh is bearable.