Author Topic: Technical aspects of the AFS 300mm f/4 E PF lens  (Read 45787 times)

Mike G

Re: Technical aspects of the AFS 300mm f/4 E PF lens
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2015, 09:15:13 »
From Eric "Only reports I have heard about the 300mm PF is that it is actually brighter T stop than f/4"

Eric what is a T stop? thats a new one on me?

I'm afraid I haven't quite got the hang of inserting a quote properly!

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2015, 09:29:23 »
From Eric "Only reports I have heard about the 300mm PF is that it is actually brighter T stop than f/4"

Eric what is a T stop? thats a new one on me?

I'm afraid I haven't quite got the hang of inserting a quote properly!

Mike, you can simply click REPLY button and click "Insert Quote" at the top right of each previous post displayed below the typing window while typing your reply.

T-stop is another indication of the speed of the lens based on the actual amount of the transmission of the light, as opposed to the F-stop which is based on the physical proportion of the focal length and the diameter of the entrance pupil.  In the cinema world, T-stop is the standard which gurarantees constant exposure between multiple lenses indicated according to T-stop standard.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2015, 10:00:03 »
T-stops are used for movie and video equipment  ;)
Erik Lund

Øivind Tøien

• NG Supporter
  • Fairbanks, Alaska
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2015, 11:10:00 »
I would not trust the metering readout of the camera, I would definitely make the exposure and look at it as well...

Only reports I have heard about the 300mm PF is that it is actually brighter T stop than f/4

Sure, no metering involved for that last test, just pairs of similar manual exp (shutter speed/aperture), and center wide open was not much different. My initial impression before this test was that the PF was slightly brighter than the AF 300/4, so the last word about that might not have been said, as this was indoor lighting without repeated tests. Color temperature of light source could have influenced results; AF300/4 seems warmer/greener than 300/4 PF. Also distance to the subject could matter as the 300PF shows slight focus breathing. Note that this is a comparison to the non-AFS version (with 82mm front filter), the AFS -non-VR version could of course differ from that with respect to T-stop. What stands though is that the light falloff towards the edges wide open is more pronounced with the 300/4 PF than the AF 300/4 , which is not surprising at all considering its compact size. At f/5.6 that difference seems to be be mostly gone.
Øivind Tøien

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2015, 11:54:23 »
The light fall off, vigneting  is actually often really nice for a lot of images/applications so I don't dislike that, the good performance of sensors/raw files and converters these days makes a no-issue as long as it's only about a stop or so - sure above two stops like some Zeiss wa lenses you have difficulty when removing it...
Erik Lund

Øivind Tøien

• NG Supporter
  • Fairbanks, Alaska
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2015, 12:20:25 »
Agree, sometimes it gives a 3D feeling or focus to the images. I have already processed several images from the 300PF where I evaluated using vignetting correction, but liked the result better without it.

Edit: Sorry we got astray here, I was thinking about asking to move this part to the 300PF thread.
Øivind Tøien

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2015, 19:27:16 »
Please put two and two together...  :P

The most easy DIY job ever it turns out :o
Erik Lund

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2015, 19:55:11 »
Shot up close, doesn't seem to be off in exposure... Camera set for f/8 on camera
Erik Lund

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2015, 20:48:31 »
The PN11 tripod collar fits exactly over the TC-20E Mark I and with a little cutting it will also fit TC-17E mark II and TC-20E mark III it's alittle too deep for the TC-14E but custom fit would be possible
Also TC-201 fits.
Erik Lund

Øivind Tøien

• NG Supporter
  • Fairbanks, Alaska
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2015, 00:34:47 »
The PN11 tripod collar fits exactly over the TC-20E Mark I and with a little cutting it will also fit TC-17E mark II and TC-20E mark III it's alittle too deep for the TC-14E but custom fit would be possible
Also TC-201 fits.

Now we are talking. What did it take to get it off the PN-11?
Any disassembly required for it to slip onto TC-20E?

What is the extension provided by the TC-20E tube?
Øivind Tøien

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2015, 00:37:25 »
Now we are talking. What did it take to get it off the PN-11?
Any disassembly required for it to slip onto TC-20E?

Yup, that's the question!
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2015, 01:29:27 »
I gave Erik a PN-11 disassembled into its individual pieces. Thus the collar was free .... Ready to slide on the TC I'd guess.

Øivind Tøien

• NG Supporter
  • Fairbanks, Alaska
« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2015, 01:38:44 »
Not many clues from the PN-11 electrification page either. He seems to have only have disassembled the internals:
http://damien.douxchamps.net/photo/pn11/
There is an interesting discussion of the TC-20E as extension tube, and its electrical side in this thread:
http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/42602800
Øivind Tøien

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2015, 08:10:42 »
Just like Bjørn states; PN11 came disassembled... So I just put the two together.

Seams a dead end disconnecting pins... No real need for that IMHO

The result with the 300mm PF and extension gave a huge hotspot, not usable as predicted.

If I decide to use the collar for the other TC's I will have to modify the collar slightly to make room for the locking pin tap on the short TC's and modify the TC-20E Mark III body since it has these grooves around the middle - but so far undecided about that ;)

Balance is really nice with the Collar on the TC for short lenses like the 300mm PF Micro 105mm f/4 Ais etc
Erik Lund

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2015, 08:15:34 »
Just read the description on DPR, they are missing a crucial point in the description of how to modify the TC to make it work properly... ::)
Erik Lund