Author Topic: AF-S Nikkor 17-55/2.8 repair story  (Read 7347 times)

stenrasmussen

AF-S Nikkor 17-55/2.8 repair story
« on: October 27, 2016, 12:55:18 »
My dealer had this lens which was stuck at 35mm.
I am attempting a repair and am generally impressed with the build quality. Now, the reason the zoom ring was stuck can be directed at a small plastic tab that has come loose from somewhere inside.
Upon further disassembly I (to my shock) discovered it originated from a part of the SWM. It is quite surprising that Nikon engineered this part where part of its structure is of such fragile nature.
The images show the tab (and the other two are at the brink of falling off too) and the slot where the tab is sitting when assembled.

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
Re: AF-S Nikkor 17-55/2.8 repair story
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2016, 13:34:27 »
Thanks Sten!

The force to break these taps would be substantial, very hard impact, since it would be an cutting action to 'cut' them off.

Most likely the lens has suffered a drop with camera mounted face down. and most likely the guide pins are affected and guide notches also.

If you don't mind checking? ;)

Hope you get it nicely back together though!
Erik Lund

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2016, 13:53:45 »
A side comment on a more general note: very often we learn about lenses that start malfunctioning and the user denies any impact damage had happened to it. Recently, I spent some time at Nikon's national repair facility and had a hands-on demonstration of how such impact damages actually look like. Let us be polite and say that the internal evidence and the user claims usually were at variance.

For a zoom lens, about the worst is being impacted to the front as this causes additional damages further into the lens construction and even might bring the camera mount out of alignment. Sideways impacts can jam focusing and zooming rings and unless the lens has a designated 'tear zone', also wreak havoc with the camera mount. Photographic gear is not 'built like a tank' or can be used as 'hammers'; they are precision optical instruments and need to be handled with due respect.

I do hope you get the lens back to life, Sten. The 17-55/2.8 is a nice lens on a DX camera such as the D500.

stenrasmussen

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2016, 14:16:50 »
When I picked up the lens I made a comment about a small dent in the front of the outer barrel so yes, I already told my dealer that it seems to have suffered impact damage (just the way you describe Erik). Will see what the next round of work on this thing will result in.

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2016, 15:24:01 »
these plastics are usually tough :o :o :o

that was quite a fall ::)

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2016, 15:57:16 »
BTW, I see you have use some tape here and there on the print, one of the sensors on the print will be dead if you even touch it,,,
Erik Lund

stenrasmussen

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2016, 16:13:26 »
BTW, I see you have use some tape here and there on the print, one of the sensors on the print will be dead if you even touch it,,,

Not touched. Just there to make sure I can slide the SWM over.

Anthony

• NG Supporter
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2016, 16:13:33 »
I have one of these to sell - I think it is in very good condition.  If anyone would like to inspect it when they are in London......
Anthony Macaulay

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2016, 23:29:53 »
Not touched. Just there to make sure I can slide the SWM over.

the sensor should not come in contact with anything if possible. :o :o :o
the 70-200II has something similar, the 50 ART,too where it looks like a ring.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2016, 02:28:52 »
I see a pink nylon washer in the cam ring that looks heavily worn out, wheras the white one looks intact.  Based on Bjørn's note, I suspect the possible drop caused the misalignment of the inner structure which resulted in this unbalanced degree of wear?
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

stenrasmussen

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2016, 12:26:09 »
What a bitc_... The lens is back and works...sort of. Zooms only from 17 to 35mm...
I've torn it significantly down and repaired the plastic tabs on the SWM. There has to be something else in the abyss of the lens blocking the motion.
I might have to go in from the front again:

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2016, 12:33:16 »
Well the 24-70 AFS there is a front group that suffers as well as the rear when dropped,,, so all the best it's raining anyway,,,
Erik Lund

stenrasmussen

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2016, 12:44:28 »
Hee, hee...it isn't raining here (for the moment).