Author Topic: [Theme] Show us your best moon (and solar system) images  (Read 180785 times)

Øivind Tøien

• NG Supporter
  • Fairbanks, Alaska
Re: Show us your best moon images
« Reply #165 on: February 09, 2016, 13:11:36 »
When there is no other alternative,ad hock solutions are of course better than no image at all. There was no way I wanted to carry a tripod on top of a 27 kg backpack during my last camping trip in Norway; the tent image above was captured just by balancing the camera on a rock. I have lots of other night time images from the same and countless of other camping trips using a similar technique. In winter, building a snow tower can come handy.
Øivind Tøien

Patrick Berg-Pedersen

• Nature and Landscape Photographer, Educated as a press Photographer for almost 30 years ago.
  • NG Member
  • You and me, -Are the real legacy of Nikon
    • Patrick Berg-Pedersen
« Reply #166 on: February 14, 2016, 16:06:18 »
From late last September, the famous blood moon on its way down. There were also an eclipse earlier that night. I'll try to find some pictures of that on my desktop computer later today.
"The colour of light is almighty, it gives us not only day and night but the entire shape of life" - Patrick Pedersen

-Proud Nikon FE2 owner since a age of 9!-

Jakov Minić

• Jakov Minic
  • Global Moderator
  • The Hague, The Netherlands
    • Jakov Minić
« Reply #167 on: February 14, 2016, 17:33:07 »
I am a sucker for those pink skies...
Free your mind and your ass will follow. - George Clinton
Before I jump like monkey give me banana. - Fela Kuti
Confidence is what you have before you understand the problem. - Woody Allen

Patrick Berg-Pedersen

• Nature and Landscape Photographer, Educated as a press Photographer for almost 30 years ago.
  • NG Member
    • Patrick Berg-Pedersen
« Reply #168 on: February 14, 2016, 22:29:50 »
I am a sucker for those pink skies...
Thanks Jakov, although pink are not one of my favourite colours I do like the colour sometimes in an image. Blue, purple and indigo is my main favourite colours though, as well as black, but then again black isn't a colour, is it.. ;-)
"The colour of light is almighty, it gives us not only day and night but the entire shape of life" - Patrick Pedersen

Patrick Berg-Pedersen

• NG Member
    • Patrick Berg-Pedersen
« Reply #169 on: February 14, 2016, 23:07:35 »
As fascinated I've always been with the moon I really don't have that many decent shots of it, and as I saw this thread earlier today I thought I had to through in a few pictures too. This picture I were out 15 minutes ago trying to capture, but din't succeed in any way of its making. The camera was a D3S and a borrowed 500mm f5.6 mirror lens coupled with two TC 20E III so it would become a 2000mm f/22. Firstly, I try not to swear whenever I can, I hate swearing, but as my lousy piece of shitty tripod and head of a making I will NEVER EVER be dumb enough to buy again, namely Manfrotto, was tilting as hell when I tried to screw it in place when the moon were in position and the camera was moving down when screwed tight as it could be, I WERE swearing like a devil myself, so I really din't have a bit of a chance of having a focused shot as the head kept tilting so that the moon kept moving under the frame until I didn't see it at all... I've had this issue many times before but it's of course not as obvious with a 14mm as it is with a 2000mm... Although it has ruined severely many LE images for me in the past I still haven't been smart enough to save up the money to a real tripod. (The motivation of saving money for a really good tripod and head is really fading away in time as it'll cost me more than much of my gear do together...) But nevertheless, I have to show you the image, cropped just a tiny bit in the upper part to make the composition more balanced.
I do know the Russian mirror tele I'm borrowing isn't of the greatest out there, after all it's a Mirror tele and it's from a third part which I even don't know the name of, but I know I can blame the tripod in this situation, that and that I only had a 1/40 sec on 6400 iso. (Actually I don't understand what happened because when I looked through the viewfinder I had a lot faster exposure time than 1/40 sec, so it wasn't before a few minutes ago when I looked at the images taken that I saw they all had a lot slower exposure time than 1/40 and 1/60's sec. (And, just so you all know I always, on almost all of my pictures use MUP and than I'll wait some seconds for the camera to really stabilise as much as it can..) BUT NEVERTHELESS, here's my lousy shot of tonights moon...:

Patrick Berg-Pedersen

• NG Member
    • Patrick Berg-Pedersen
« Reply #170 on: February 14, 2016, 23:12:34 »
Last years sun eclipse, not yet a full eclipse on this shot though.
D800E, 300mm 2.8 VR, shitty tripod...

Patrick Berg-Pedersen

• NG Member
    • Patrick Berg-Pedersen
« Reply #171 on: February 14, 2016, 23:16:26 »
Blood Moon on it's way down after last September Lunar eclipse.
D3X (or perhaps a D800E, I don't remember right now), with Nikon 300 2,8 VR and the TC 20E III.

Patrick Berg-Pedersen

• NG Member
    • Patrick Berg-Pedersen
« Reply #172 on: February 14, 2016, 23:21:24 »
One from a serie of images of the moon I took with my beloved D2X in 2011.

Øivind Tøien

• NG Supporter
  • Fairbanks, Alaska
« Reply #173 on: February 15, 2016, 00:52:00 »
Some great images you got there, Patrick, I especially like the setting "blood moon", really nice colors.
Øivind Tøien

Jakov Minić

• Jakov Minic
  • Global Moderator
  • The Hague, The Netherlands
    • Jakov Minić
« Reply #174 on: February 15, 2016, 10:26:03 »
We have another moon expert, Patrick! :)
Striking images!
Free your mind and your ass will follow. - George Clinton
Before I jump like monkey give me banana. - Fela Kuti
Confidence is what you have before you understand the problem. - Woody Allen

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #175 on: February 15, 2016, 11:09:01 »
Super moon-images, Patrick.  That blood moon... beautiful colours.

Thomas G

• NG Supporter
  • lumofisk
    • Iceland round trip 2016
« Reply #176 on: February 19, 2016, 22:12:38 »
Dreamy... by lumofisk, on Flickr
-/-/-

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #177 on: February 19, 2016, 22:30:30 »
Thomas, I love this somewhat eerie atmosphere!  Fabulous image!
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Thomas G

• NG Supporter
  • lumofisk
    • Iceland round trip 2016
« Reply #178 on: February 19, 2016, 23:34:08 »
Thomas, I love this somewhat eerie atmosphere!  Fabulous image!
Thank you, Akira. I'm glad you like it.
Did not get it right in PP at the time and had it sitting in the pile since.
This thread made me revisit it for PP with new ideas.
It matches the mood of the that evening quite good. The moon was impressive.
-/-/-

Bruno Schroder

• NG Supporter
  • Future is the only way forward
« Reply #179 on: February 20, 2016, 11:07:56 »
I like your use of the dual lighting, moon and street. Your double street light with the brighter spot on the right is very effective.
Bruno Schröder