Author Topic: [Theme] Do you have a stitched photo?  (Read 141224 times)

simato73

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: [Theme] Do you have a stitched photo?
« Reply #330 on: October 16, 2017, 20:48:28 »
The Edges near Sathersage, Peak District.
Includes Stanage Edge in the background (for Bjørn).
Two different compositions with two different lenses.
Not sure how the thinner one will look once posted...
Simone Tomasi

David Paterson

• NG Member
  • Retired, but not tired, photographer
« Reply #331 on: October 16, 2017, 21:46:07 »
A lot of very nice work on this thread (Simone - those two images are a triumph - they make England look almost interesting   ;) ;)

This is a pano of the Upper Everest Basin, shot from the south ridge of Pumo Ri in October 1979). The camera position was on the rocky area left of centre, at a little over 5300m (17,500 feet) and three images shot on 5x4" (12x9cm) Fuji Provia colour film were stitched. The panorama shows:

Left, above a glacier tongue, the peaks of the Changri La area; the bare south ridge of Pumo Ri:above two more glacier tongues, the summit of Lingtren; Point 6640; Changtse ("North Peak"); Everest, with the snow-plume; the  South Col, and Nuptse ("West Peak"). Lhotse, the east peak of the Everest group, is hidden behind Nuptse. The Everest summit is six miles (10km) distant and 10,000 feet (3000m) above the camera position.

simato73

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #332 on: October 16, 2017, 21:53:40 »
A lot of very nice work on this thread (Simone - those two images are a triumph - they make England look almost interesting   ;) ;)

This is a pano of the Upper Everest Basin, shot from the south ridge of Pumo Ri in October 1979). The camera position was on the rocky area left of centre, at a little over 5300m (17,500 feet) and three images shot on 5x4" (12x9cm) Fuji Provia colour film were stitched. The panorama shows:

Left, above a glacier tongue, the peaks of the Changri La area; the bare south ridge of Pumo Ri:above two more glacier tongues, the summit of Lingtren; Point 6640; Changtse ("North Peak"); Everest, with the snow-plume; the  South Col, and Nuptse ("West Peak"). Lhotse, the east peak of the Everest group, is hidden behind Nuptse. The Everest summit is six miles (10km) distant and 10,000 feet (3000m) above the camera position.

I am humbled...
We hear this phrase misused so often when some actor or another picks up an Oscar. What they actually mean is "I am SOOOOO gloating now..."
Whereas I, Simone Tomasi, am humbled. And England too is humbled.
I am afraid the comparison with the pano from Nepal is merciless, I would say unfair.
Simone Tomasi

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #333 on: October 16, 2017, 22:08:39 »
Simone, it should be really difficult fully to appreciate such a wide and potentially excellent pano on the (possibly any) computer screens:  it would be too small vertically!

Dave, did you intend or were you able to stitch the 4x5 images by when you shot them originally?
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

simato73

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #334 on: October 16, 2017, 22:16:25 »
Simone, it should be really difficult fully to appreciate such a wide and potentially excellent pano on the (possibly any) computer screens:  it would be too small vertically!

Dave, did you intend or were you able to stitch the 4x5 images by when you shot them originally?

Agreed. One image is approximately 5800x24000, the other 5800x39000.
Made to be printed big, but I don't think I'll actually print them.
Simone Tomasi

David Paterson

• NG Member
« Reply #335 on: October 16, 2017, 22:43:26 »
I am humbled...
That wasn't my intention! But all hills and mountains bow down before the Himalayas.

In 1979, stitched panoramas were hardly dreamed of; as far from most photographers' possibilities as interplanetary travel. There were a few famous examples,usually as part of advertising for camera equipment or film. Up until 1979 I had only ever made one joined-up panorama - three b/w images of Glencoe shot (Hasselblad)with a medium-long lens to eliminate edge distortion as far as possible; three large prints made, edge-trimmed to get the best match, mounted edge to edge on large board, the joins then disguised by a very skilful retouching artist and the whole thing re-photographed on 10x8" Fuji Provia and a final print made using the Cibachrome process. The whole thing cost the client a minor fortune and I didn't make another joined-up pano until I started using Photoshop in the mid-1990s. Compare that to what we do today.

simato73

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #336 on: October 16, 2017, 22:48:46 »
That wasn't my intention! But all hills and mountains bow down before the Himalayas.

No worries, being humbled is healthy and instructive.
Simone Tomasi

Thomas G

• NG Supporter
  • lumofisk
    • Iceland round trip 2016
« Reply #337 on: October 20, 2017, 20:57:30 »
a somewhat curvy try of the skywalk on Tower Bridge
-/-/-

Thomas G

• NG Supporter
  • lumofisk
    • Iceland round trip 2016
« Reply #338 on: October 20, 2017, 21:11:12 »
vitlycke museum, rock carvings, Tanum, Sweden
-/-/-

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #339 on: October 24, 2017, 02:32:33 »
Thomas, the bridge image looks fresh!

Shot from the same usual point of view, but the nature never repeats.

The on-screen level on EVF helps greatly to minimiza the waste of the peripheral areas of the stitched image.

Fons Baerken

• NG Supporter
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/fonsbaerken/
« Reply #340 on: October 24, 2017, 09:09:49 »

D500, 10.5mm f/2.8 10 frames stitched with kolor autopano
came short a few pixels which had to be fixed and so some artifacts

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
« Reply #341 on: October 24, 2017, 09:15:08 »
Nice result Fons.
Hugh Gunn

David Paterson

• NG Member
« Reply #342 on: October 24, 2017, 09:44:01 »
Akira and Fons - those are both very beautiful mages but in very different ways.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #343 on: October 24, 2017, 09:45:49 »
Akira and Fons - those are both very beautiful mages but in very different ways.

Thanks, David!

Fons Baerken

• NG Supporter
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/fonsbaerken/
« Reply #344 on: October 24, 2017, 11:28:16 »
Nice result Fons.

Thanks.
A first trial at this, kolorautopano and ps dont sympathize in mutual action on a 32gb ws; they both are extremely mememory hungry.