Author Topic: Do You Prefer Rendering Of "Vintage" Nikon Cameras To "Modern" Nikon Cameras?  (Read 5838 times)

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
Trying a 4gb card, which works in another camera, but the issue remains. ‘This card cannot be used’.

Don’t have a smaller card …
I believe the max is 2gb, the same as for the D1x

BruceSD

• Confirmed Bokeholic
  • NG Member
  • I'm here to learn from the best
    • The F/2 Guru
Trying a 4gb card, which works in another camera, but the issue remains. ‘This card cannot be used’.

Don’t have a smaller card …

What I do in your situation is to use a free download called "Paragon Partition Manager 17CE" to turn the 4gb card into either a 1gb or a 2gb card.   Always worked for me.

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
I didn't change the colour balance which for both cameras were "Auto W/b". Not sure why there was a slight reddish cast for the Zf, unless it picked up reflections of indoors lights in the window?

The D1X is left panel and Zf is right panel, so your assumption is correct,

As to the similary in details, which at first seemed a bit unexpected: both cameras have in fact an identical pixel pitch on the major axis approx. 168 pix/mm. The difference is for the minor axis where D1X is only 44% of the Zf in terms of pixel pitch, thus clearly inferior as far as maximum resolution is concerned. However, for nature scenes, this might not be as limiting as one would think since Nature rarely displays a fine-gridded pattern.

The red cast is probably refleksions.
I had a D2X and sold it quite cheap for about 500 Euros many years ago. The new owner was very happy and he wrote back that he liked the way it rendered. He was a professional photographer.
For me the D5200 was a big step-up in quality. Both resolution and ISO performance. Maybe he could see some in D2X images I did not notice. It was a very well made camera.
Now I have a Z50 and for me a step-up compared to D5200. Even that Z50 is only 20 MP. I look at Z5 in the moment as there are some good offers. But I wonder how much of a difference the images will show.
The IBIS is nice for non VR lenses and also the better ISO performance and also that the DOF is less for portraits etc. Maybe when Z6III arrives the Z5 price will drop further. I am happy to be a little "behind" and then save a lot of money. But if Z6III comes out as a 40 MP of so wtih better ISO performance than Z5 I may be tempted for a Z6III or if Z6II drops a lot. Z50 is almost vintage now?

Ian Watson

• NG Supporter
Lest people should think all evolution is perfect and old stuff is just crap, have a look at this comparison.....

There is an adage (source unknown) that seems appropriate:

There are two kinds of fool: one says, "This is old and therefore it is good;" the other says, "This is new and therefore it is better."

aerobat

• NG Supporter
  • Daniel Diggelmann, Switzerland
Lest people should think all evolution is perfect and old stuff is just crap, have a look at this comparison..... I shot with the AFS 300mm f/4 PF-E on D1X and Zf. As this lens operates only at f/4 on the D1X, I used it wide open on both cameras. ISO 400. AF is very snappy on both cameras, the caveat being for the D1X, one should use AF-ON only otherwise the cameras starts to mull over the current geopolitic situation or whatever occupies its mindset.

I haven't labelled the crops which is 100% for the Zf. No sharpening., NEFs run straight through Photo Ninja. Make your own decision what is the "better" one.
I guess D1x is on the right with warmer lighter rendering - I did notice the Zf's strong contrast on mine. Depending on usage one or the other may be better suited.
Daniel Diggelmann

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
I guess D1x is on the right with warmer lighter rendering - I did notice the Zf's strong contrast on mine. Depending on usage one or the other may be better suited.

The placements were the opposite.

Stephan

• NG Supporter
  • Nikon since 1977
Just checked with my D100: 8GB CFs are handled fine, internally formatted with FAT32!

I stand corrected!

Further tests revealed:

D100 uses FAT16 for internal formatting.
4/8GB CFs externally formatted with FAT32 are accepted, even with double capacity (both show 410 RAWs uncompressed) shown in the LCD! (I didn't check if they will be filled up...)
4/8GB CFs internally formatted are truncated to 2GB (210 RAWs uncompressed)

Snoogly

• NG Supporter
  • Flipping the bird
The D100 finally worked with a 2GB card :-)

It has firmware v2, which should have enabled it to use larger cards (even if only 2gb of the card is recognized), but I am at least happy the 2gb card works.

Can’t seem to get a shutter count for this camera, but it is outwardly in very nice condition. Now I  need to study how to use this freakin’ thing!
Richard Hawking (not Richard Haw!), in Tokyo

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
Can’t seem to get a shutter count for this camera, but it is outwardly in very nice condition. Now I  need to study how to use this freakin’ thing!
The Shuttercount in the EXIF was introduced with the Nikon D2h, so the earlier camera's won't have the option to read this information.

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
More D1X images from my archives. Indulge me :)

Nikon D1X, AF-D Zoom-Nikkor 35-70mm f/2.8

Chip Chipowski

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
Indulge me

Happily!

BruceSD

• Confirmed Bokeholic
  • NG Member
  • I'm here to learn from the best
    • The F/2 Guru
More D1X images from my archives. Indulge me :)

Nikon D1X, AF-D Zoom-Nikkor 35-70mm f/2.8
You used the perfect shutter speed to freeze the young man jumping, AND to make the waterfall look it's best.  Well done. 

The shirt is a very rich looking blue - love that CCD sensor.

As far as sharpness goes, I downloaded the file and looked at it full size.  I was shocked that I could make out the man's toenails on his left foot! 

Did this young man land safely on the rocks, or did he end up in the water on his backside?

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
He didn't fare well -- got himself quite wet. The ladies weren't too impressed .....

I now got a nice almost mint MH-15 charger and hope this will be able to revive some of the old D1/H/X batteries I found floating around. The new Li-Ion kind is apparently very good, but on the expensive side when shipping and taxes are added. So would be nice to be ale to use the older batteries despite their shorter longeivy and lower capacity.

Snoogly

• NG Supporter
  • Flipping the bird
Is it just a pipe dream to be able to somehow get a D1X firmware updated to v5, in this day and age?  ??? ??? ???
Richard Hawking (not Richard Haw!), in Tokyo

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
Ask the bit people :)

It's a strange experience to put a modern AFS lens on my ancient D1 and notice how well -- within limits, of course, the AF works.

I might convert a D1X to infrared again and have fun with it. With the new charger in place, batteries are not that limiting factor anymore.