Author Topic: So, the ZF ...  (Read 27650 times)

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY
Re: So, the ZF …
« Reply #90 on: October 13, 2023, 02:52:31 »
wait, i noticed something...it does NOT come with a charger anymore, what happened? :o :o :o

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
« Reply #91 on: October 13, 2023, 10:31:15 »
OK, there it is: on time, green, and working. That is a good start.

Only one minor rant: there is only one function button on the front, and it is ill-placed for me (I hit it too often by accident).

But the on/off and exp compensation buttons are to my liking. ISO left, speed right, and aperture on the ring are fine. Also, the readily accessible B&W mode is great.
Airy Magnien

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #92 on: October 13, 2023, 12:22:23 »
I got the Zf today.

I was pretty shocked that the threaded shutter release can't be used with a cable release. It's just meant to screw on a soft release cover thingie. And probably for cosmetic reasons as well.

Although WR-R10 or MC-DC2 are not supported, there is the possibility of synchronized release of multiple cameras via a network connection. I will try to set this up.

As substitute for cable release, one can in theory use a mobile phone but making the connection work took me 10 minutes and when I was trying to use it, the wifi connection was lost before I could get my first remote triggered shot. Not great, Nikon! I will next try to get an ML-L7 bluetooth release to see if there is any way of reliably remote triggering the camera.

Other than that, the camera is fine. AF has more configurable custom area options than the Z8 or D6. In-camera VR feels super smooth.

The turning dials are super nice in terms of feeling. Smallrig's grip was provided free of charge with the camera.

I will get some shooting experience with it and then provide more comments. I am just a bit miffed that the threaded shutter button is not what I thought it would be.

MILLIREHM

• NG Supporter
  • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #93 on: October 13, 2023, 14:25:17 »
wait, i noticed something...it does NOT come with a charger anymore, what happened? :o :o :o
Well thats a new "trend" (to cut costs?) that startet with compact cameras some years ago, my coolpix P300 has got a charger included, when i bought a P330 for my wife i had to buy it separately, same with the bridge camera P950 (it is still sold but one cant even buy a charger in addition). So now this trend has reached also top-line system cameras like the Zf, no MH25a and even the EH-8P Adapter is optional. Might have something to do with EU regulations for electrical devices waste reduction as well?).

Regarding the shutter release of the Zf it is designed for the AR-3 release cable that was provided for FM27FE2 family (like the Df), may we like it or not, it has some inner consistency.
Wolfgang Rehm

aerobat

• NG Supporter
  • Daniel Diggelmann, Switzerland
« Reply #94 on: October 13, 2023, 14:36:54 »
My local dealer reserved a ZF. Not sure I'll buy it though. Reading through the manual it seems that advanced wireless flash is only supported through a flash like SB-5000 or SU-800 (I have both) in the hot shoe and not through WR dongle. The ZF would be meant to replace my Z6ii.
Can anybody please try the WR dongle and confirm this?
Daniel Diggelmann

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #95 on: October 13, 2023, 15:30:42 »
My local dealer reserved a ZF. Not sure I'll buy it though. Reading through the manual it seems that advanced wireless flash is only supported through a flash like SB-5000 or SU-800 (I have both) in the hot shoe and not through WR dongle. The ZF would be meant to replace my Z6ii.
Can anybody please try the WR dongle and confirm this?

There is no port on the Zf that could take the WR-R10 or its variants. So Nikon radio flash is not available.

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #96 on: October 13, 2023, 15:31:57 »

I believe the EU regulation is that chargers should not come with consumer devices. I am not sure how strong the requirement but the idea is to avoid multiple chargers where fewer suffice.

aerobat

• NG Supporter
« Reply #97 on: October 13, 2023, 15:42:21 »
Many thanks Ilkka - much appreciated - actually this isn't a show stopper as the SU-800 would still work.
Daniel Diggelmann

MILLIREHM

• NG Supporter
  • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #98 on: October 13, 2023, 15:44:40 »
I believe the EU regulation is that chargers should not come with consumer devices. I am not sure how strong the requirement but the idea is to avoid multiple chargers where fewer suffice.
Would be interesting to know, whether this is just an EU phenomenon
Using EN-EL15 variants on multiple bodies I find it useful to have several chargers, so I can reload several batteries in parallel
Wolfgang Rehm

Ian Watson

• NG Supporter
« Reply #99 on: October 13, 2023, 15:52:46 »
The Zf is not supplied with a battery charger in the US or Canada either. The Fujifilm X-T5 comes with a cable and an adapter but no battery charger.

It is a sign of the times.

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
« Reply #100 on: October 13, 2023, 16:05:50 »
Here in Australia, they are NOT being supplied with a charger.

Soon they won't even supply a bloody battery!  >:(

Would be interesting to know, whether this is just an EU phenomenon
Using EN-EL15 variants on multiple bodies I find it useful to have several chargers, so I can reload several batteries in parallel
Hugh Gunn

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #101 on: October 13, 2023, 17:21:24 »
I bought an ML-L7 bluetooth remote and it does appear to work with the Zf, and seems to function reliably. However, there is a slight delay that does not exist (or is much shorter) in electrical triggering (e.g. using MC-30A on a Z8 or other compatible camera).

I noticed somewhat anomalous behavior in the ML-L7 with the Zf set to B or T mode, in both cases the function is the same and it takes one press of the remote to start the exposure and another press to end it. This is okay for me, but it isn't in the spirit of how B used to work. I don't see how B or T would be used without remote activation (either cabled, not supported by the Zf, or bluetooth) without causing blur.  If you press and hold the shutter button on the camera in B mode, there will likely be significant blur. If you use the remote, it acts like T whether it is in T or B mode. If you press shutter button in the camera in T mode, there might be slight blur and when turning the knob out of T position to stop the exposure, there is likely to be additional blur, unless the exposure is very long. So there is no practical use for separate T and B settings on this camera IMO.  You could just have T on the camera and all the useful application cases would be covered. If there had been a mechanical or electrical cable release option, then one could press and hold it to achieve useful function in B mode, and on camera the T mode would be useful for shots of several minutes (presumably then the slight blur would not matter).

I will now stop complaining about this issue for the time being and start collecting some experiences using the camera for taking pictures. ;-)

By the way the camera is quite heavy and I find it balances perfectly with my f/1.8 Z lenses. I find there to be reason to purchase separate compact or pancake primes just to make the camera feel comfortable with.

I can say that I love the fact that one can more precisely define the custom wide-area modes in finer steps than in previous cameras. And the VR in camera seems the nicest I've used.

Since I've seen some reports that one can get the Zf to display a temperature indicator in still photography, I will try to see where the limits are with the production camera. I will also try to see how the DJI RS 3 Mini operates with the Zf, and how the video quality compares to the Z8.

The Smallrig grip that came with the camera fits nicely but I find it makes the accessibility of the sub-command dial not as good as it is without the grip. It can still be used but the access to it from normal shooting position is a bit tricky. I think this will probably mean I won't be using that grip and I'll just use my usual L-brackets. Access to the battery and memory cards in not hindered by the grip, which is nice.

aerobat

• NG Supporter
« Reply #102 on: October 13, 2023, 18:13:36 »
Look, we have been begging for a vintage camera with the ergonomics of a steam engine for many years - I guess we now have to deal with it  ;D
Daniel Diggelmann

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #103 on: October 13, 2023, 18:26:23 »
Look, we have been begging for a vintage camera with the ergonomics of a steam engine for many years - I guess we now have to deal with it  ;D

I really like the handling of the Zf actually, but the smallrig grip could use a bit of refinement. :)

The sounds and feel of a steam engine are a wonder. ;)

aerobat

• NG Supporter
« Reply #104 on: October 13, 2023, 18:32:10 »
Just pulling your leg - should get my scrubby hands on one tomorrow...
Daniel Diggelmann