Author Topic: So, the ZF ...  (Read 27773 times)

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
Re: So, the ZF …
« Reply #75 on: October 05, 2023, 07:02:30 »
no I mean the look and feel.
In that sense, maybe. Otherwise I was quoting FM-2 features nobody would envy now: were are all used to using short-lived batteries; most of us use A mode, I guess, that the FM-2 hadn't, and there is no reason not to have spot metering although it has become less useful than in slides time (film slides, not powerpoint): I still remember using the 8-spot multimetering with my Canon T90 in difficult situations, trying to fit them into the +2EV/-2EV range, and it worked.
Airy Magnien

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
« Reply #76 on: October 05, 2023, 07:14:52 »
in some aspects the Zf will be far better, and it will work better together witz Z-lenses and it will be better in adapting thirt party lenses, and it has the benefits of an electronic viewfinder and video functions
but it will never have the benefits of an optical viewfinder and even if an FTZ adapter with Ai support will ever see the light the Df will have better support of AI(-S) lenses and will benefit for not having Video options distracting from photography and has a control element for direct access to the exposure metering modes
Thus i will keep my Df and all options (even though the front wheel of the Df is looking nice but a real nuissance for good camera grip

I will never part from my Df but it is in semi-retirement now. Getting old, a rubber gasket (ISO wheel) needs replacement, aperture lever actuation replaced once in 2017 probably needs replacement again, some buttons on the back feel awkward... well, I'm ageing too, am I not? and the stiff and sharp-edged front wheel always hurt my fingers - well, most of the time I use AI lenses.

...and while I do not enjoy the Z6ii as a camera body, it delivers good results (precise focussing, stabiliser are important for my subjects). I nearly had a fit when it refused to actuate the flashlight, until I learnt (thanks internet) that flashlight and electronic shutter are not compatible. That saved the shooting session.

Still, I look forward to a camera I can enjoy, placing hopes in the Zf, in which case I'll resell the Z6ii. Next goodie would be a FTxyz with an aperture follower: little hope. I'll survive that.
Airy Magnien

MILLIREHM

• NG Supporter
  • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #77 on: October 05, 2023, 15:01:42 »
I will never part from my Df but it is in semi-retirement now. Getting old, a rubber gasket (ISO wheel) needs replacement, aperture lever actuation replaced once in 2017 probably needs replacement again, some buttons on the back feel awkward... well, I'm ageing too, am I not? and the stiff and sharp-edged front wheel always hurt my fingers - well, most of the time I use AI lenses.
That exactly ist my main downside of the Df, it hurts my fingers (whether i am using it or not - just by holding and carrying it - with AI lenses i am using the aperture ring)

...and while I do not enjoy the Z6ii as a camera body, it delivers good results (precise focussing, stabiliser are important for my subjects). I nearly had a fit when it refused to actuate the flashlight, until I learnt (thanks internet) that flashlight and electronic shutter are not compatible. That saved the shooting session.
I like the way My Z6 lies in my hand but i dislike some of the buttons, controls and menu flaws. Good to know that the flashlight ist only working with mechanical shutter - never used it with the Z6

Still, I look forward to a camera I can enjoy, placing hopes in the Zf, in which case I'll resell the Z6ii. Next goodie would be a FTxyz with an aperture follower: little hope. I'll survive that.
An FTX with aperture follower would be great (even better if including a motor drive and other requirements for supporting screwdriver AF - evidently Nikon wants us to buy Z lenses (and we do) - nevertheless I want to have old NIkkor F lenses to work better than just any other  third party lens with mechanical adaption. It would suit to the release of the retro-style Zf but so far I haven't heard anything about a gadget like that
Wolfgang Rehm

Eddie Draaisma

• NG Supporter
« Reply #78 on: October 05, 2023, 22:14:46 »
Link to downloadable raw files, shot with Zf and Plena 135/1.8... (found on Nikonrumors).

https://drive.google.com/drive/u/0/folders/1-49QU9PpMhZ2bbbLeP3CKfhMyY9fSysZ

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #79 on: October 05, 2023, 22:28:01 »
Nice lens!
Most images has a "High-Key" effect to them?
Probably by purpose?

MILLIREHM

• NG Supporter
  • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #80 on: October 08, 2023, 10:35:55 »
In that sense, maybe. Otherwise I was quoting FM-2 features nobody would envy now: were are all used to using short-lived batteries; most of us use A mode, I guess, that the FM-2 hadn't, and there is no reason not to have spot metering although it has become less useful than in slides time (film slides, not powerpoint): I still remember using the 8-spot multimetering with my Canon T90 in difficult situations, trying to fit them into the +2EV/-2EV range, and it worked.
The FM2 had no A function, right, so in fact the FM3a was more of an FE3 (or FH due to the hybrid shutter) and the Df/Zf have more similarities with an FA/FG and there is nothing "mechanical" in it any more.
Nikon kept its users without spot-metering for a long time- until the F4 came out and never implemented something T90s multispot-metering, i am not sure about its usefulness beyond analysing the subject with normal spot-metering
Wolfgang Rehm

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
« Reply #81 on: October 08, 2023, 23:17:35 »
Regarding the usefulness of multi-spot metering, see my post on the top of the page. Admittedly, shooting pipe organs on slides is daft but that's what I had in mind in the late eighties.
Airy Magnien

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #82 on: October 12, 2023, 10:46:41 »
A new feature I haven not seen mentioned here is:

Nikon’s first camera with face detection and magnification in manual focus
Nikon Zf can detect faces in manual focus just as easily as in autofocus. You can then magnify the face and eye directly to achieve critical focus.
Erik Lund

Nikfuson

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #83 on: October 12, 2023, 11:32:45 »
I have Zf waiting for me at my local dealer. What arguments should I implement in my brain to make the change from my Z6?

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
« Reply #84 on: October 12, 2023, 15:27:25 »
Still non announcement here (I ordered from Nikon France, directly). I can wait :)
Airy Magnien

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY
« Reply #85 on: October 12, 2023, 19:40:45 »
putain! my Zf is now ready for pickup! :o :o :o

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
« Reply #86 on: October 12, 2023, 20:21:35 »
tabarnak! my Zf is expected to be delivered tomorrow! asti d'criss!
Airy Magnien

Snoogly

• NG Supporter
  • Flipping the bird
« Reply #87 on: October 12, 2023, 21:31:00 »
In Japan won’t ship until 27th :(
Richard Hawking (not Richard Haw!), in Tokyo

MILLIREHM

• NG Supporter
  • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #88 on: October 12, 2023, 23:32:06 »
I have received my Zf sample today, Can’t say too much right now but it is looking good and feels good in the hand. Did not try the small-rig grip that was provided with it until now. The Zf is larger than the FM2 but I did not realize so far that it is actually more compact than the Df. There is no external battery charger in the box and it comes with just a USB cable but no grid adapter (Both not a problem for me but buyers that are not ready for charging EN-EL15 batteries should know)

My first thing to setup after Date Time and Time-zone was to reprogram the AF-Lock button on the back to AF-ON and disactivate the AF-function of the shutter release. The number of programmable function buttons is reduced in comparison to other bodies BUT one can program it to directly activate a specific metering mode (like Spot) directly- an option  used to  beavailable in earlier camera models but both D6 and Z9 are lacking. Annoyingly one can setup the ISO setting steps using full stops but this appears not to be possible for exposure value setting (just like it is in the Z6). No “recall shooting options” and no “custom setting banks” are available.

BTW the reference guide is downloadable since yesterday
https://downloadcenter.nikonimglib.com/en/products/624/Z_f.html
Wolfgang Rehm

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY
« Reply #89 on: October 13, 2023, 02:19:08 »
after some time with it, Df is still king :o :o :o