Author Topic: So, the ZF ...  (Read 27780 times)

BruceSD

• Confirmed Bokeholic
  • NG Member
  • I'm here to learn from the best
    • The F/2 Guru
Re: So, the ZF …
« Reply #60 on: September 26, 2023, 23:07:52 »
While updates/upgrades in appearance, ergonomics, auto-focus, and the latest whiz-bang tech features are nice - what I'm most interested in is the sensor.     

I understand the sensor in the new ZF has similar resolution to the sensors in the Z6/Z6II.  Are there any significant improvements in the ZF sensor over the already excellent Z6/Z6ii sensors?

Snoogly

• NG Supporter
  • Flipping the bird
« Reply #61 on: September 26, 2023, 23:41:37 »
I saw in one video (I forgot which) that although the sensor is the same, expeed7 somehow gets more out of it in terms of image quality. Sorry, I can’t be less vague than that!
Richard Hawking (not Richard Haw!), in Tokyo

MILLIREHM

• NG Supporter
  • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #62 on: September 27, 2023, 00:19:08 »
Prices on the Z6-2 and the Z7-2 have dropped by 20% here in Australia following the recent release of the Zf.

I wonder if this is a harbinger of an impending Z6-2 and  Z7-2 release?
You mean Z6 III and Z7III evidently. As said Nikon can be expected to fill the Zf demand first but they have to bring something because the II versions are even more outdated now than they were at release time. The third generation will have to undergo substantial changes in user interface compared to their precedessors. And the Z7III will have a hard time to find a place between Z8 and Zf
Wolfgang Rehm

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #63 on: September 27, 2023, 05:27:12 »
In the US they charge $1,999.95 only directly from the mother ship ... and the indigo blue leathering makes me salivate so much ...
It appears that all the normal retailers in the USA (B&H,etc) are selling Df for US$1995 or thereabouts.  The mentioned Euro price seems a bit steep...different tax setup, I know.
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #64 on: September 27, 2023, 10:37:25 »
There is 25% VAT in my country. Fortunately, this is deductible in my case.

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
« Reply #65 on: September 27, 2023, 15:13:25 »
Thanks Wolfgang - now corrected in the original post.

You mean Z6 III and Z7III evidently. As said Nikon can be expected to fill the Zf demand first but they have to bring something because the II versions are even more outdated now than they were at release time. The third generation will have to undergo substantial changes in user interface compared to their precedessors. And the Z7III will have a hard time to find a place between Z8 and Zf
Hugh Gunn

Snoogly

• NG Supporter
  • Flipping the bird
« Reply #66 on: September 29, 2023, 22:28:41 »
Just saw Ricci confirming that ISO can be controlled using a button and dials like other Nikon cameras > assign a button then front and back dials for auto on/off and iso setting. Wasn’t possible on the ZFC, but the ZF uses the expeed 7 menu system - making such control possible. I don’t really understand that, as it seems weird that the ZFC is somehow hobbled by the expeed 6 menu system. But, I suppose Ricci knows best!  ???
Richard Hawking (not Richard Haw!), in Tokyo

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #67 on: September 30, 2023, 10:24:10 »
Just found out the new Foolography 'Unleashed' device for GPS and external control of the Z fc camera also will work with Zf (and Z30). Better and better. The Foolography unit should arrive next week so hopefully the Zf follows suit in not too distant future.

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #68 on: October 03, 2023, 20:24:56 »
that is the camera I have been waiting for. A real digital FM-2 replacement
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
« Reply #69 on: October 04, 2023, 07:38:43 »
that is the camera I have been waiting for. A real digital FM-2 replacement

You mean, one that can work without batteries, has no spot metering, and no aperture priority mode ?
Airy Magnien

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #70 on: October 04, 2023, 11:48:59 »
You mean, one that can work without batteries, has no spot metering, and no aperture priority mode ?

no I mean the look and feel.

No A-mode? sure? I do not believe that.

Digital without batteries is not possible.

No Spot Metering? 1) the ZF has spot metering (see above), the FM-2 had no spot metering. The OM-3 had Spot metering.

https://www.nikon.de/de_DE/product/cameras/z-f-VOA120AE

A is there
Spotmetering is there
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Roland Vink

• NG Supporter
  • Nikon Nerd from New Zealand
    • Nikon Database
« Reply #71 on: October 04, 2023, 20:15:46 »
That will be a digital camera with what looks like a film advance lever, but winding lever actually powers the camera up - never any need to plug it in to recharge :o :)

MILLIREHM

• NG Supporter
  • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #72 on: October 04, 2023, 23:13:46 »
That will be a digital camera with what looks like a film advance lever, but winding lever actually powers the camera up - never any need to plug it in to recharge :o :)
BTW: Got a device some 17 years ago (pre Smartphone era) with a lot of adapters that was actually able to charge a Cell phone battery by a winding lever - took pretty much time even with these devices ;-)
(included a lamp which was more useful)

The Zf has the look and feel of an FM2 (FM3a, FE2, FA,...) but isn't that small and compact (the Df also wasn't) digital era asks its price
Wolfgang Rehm

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY
« Reply #73 on: October 04, 2023, 23:33:23 »
the Zf will never be as good as a Df, as inadequate and half-assed the latter is :o :o :o the pentaprism and the aperture coupler...and all that ::)

MILLIREHM

• NG Supporter
  • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #74 on: October 04, 2023, 23:58:35 »
the Zf will never be as good as a Df, as inadequate and half-assed the latter is :o :o :o the pentaprism and the aperture coupler...and all that ::)
in some aspects the Zf will be far better, and it will work better together witz Z-lenses and it will be better in adapting thirt party lenses, and it has the benefits of an electronic viewfinder and video functions
but it will never have the benefits of an optical viewfinder and even if an FTZ adapter with Ai support will ever see the light the Df will have better support of AI(-S) lenses and will benefit for not having Video options distracting from photography and has a control element for direct access to the exposure metering modes
Thus i will keep my Df and all options (even though the front wheel of the Df is looking nice but a real nuissance for good camera grip
Wolfgang Rehm