Author Topic: Response to the Future of NikonGear.net/.com/.org  (Read 6449 times)

thedutchflyer

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: Response to the Future of NikonGear.net/.com/.org
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2023, 20:17:35 »
Thanks for all the Information ,
 I am now a supporter too

Jœrgen

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2023, 20:46:51 »
The NG is the only forum I think worth subscribing with payment.

Compared to the cost for the photo editor I subscribe (photographer plan of Adobe CC), the subscription fee for NG is very modest, I think.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

jag

• NG Supporter
  • I am
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2023, 21:28:33 »
I'm just a lurker on this forum, but now I'm a supporting lurker...

Thx for the heads up.
/Jan

Roland Vink

• NG Supporter
  • Nikon Nerd from New Zealand
    • Nikon Database
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2023, 21:50:37 »
I have just renewed my Nikongear supporter subscription :)

Snoogly

• NG Supporter
  • Flipping the bird
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2023, 21:55:07 »
The server cost does seem astronomical. Seems logical that as well as increasing the number of paying members, the forum ought to be moved to a cheaper locale.
Richard Hawking (not Richard Haw!), in Tokyo

Gerhard2006

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2023, 23:58:21 »
I have just started frequenting this forum more than I have in the past so I just became a supporter as well. Thank you for letting us know.

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2023, 10:06:06 »
We will not raise the subscription fee above the current value of 20 Euros/year. If anything given a sufficient amount of subscribers, the figure ought to be lowered. NG is not run for commercial purposes.

As to costs of web hosting, remember there now is VAT to be paid and that the server handles a significant bandwidth load. There are a lot of other aspects, domain maintenance, and server features required that reflect in the price. The general price hike has been substantial over the last years, though.

The admins do pay attention to suggestions provided here and elsewhere,  but in the end, economy will control the future of NG. A steady trickle of subscriptions is preferred over donations and in fact we would not accept the latter.

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2023, 10:13:59 »
I don't see an option for an automatic annual payment; am I missing something here?

Where annual payments rely on the likes of my flawed memory, things slip through the cracks as it were.  I am not personally averse to signing up for an annual automatic subscription payment if there is an easy way of so doing.
Hugh Gunn

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2023, 10:20:55 »
The renewal of subscriptions through Paypal should be automatic. At least it is for me? (and yes, like anyone else, I also pay the subscription).

Andrea wrote a thread on that topic here https://nikongear.net/revival/index.php?topic=8715.0

Snoogly

• NG Supporter
  • Flipping the bird
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2023, 10:37:50 »
I don't see an option for an automatic annual payment; am I missing something here?

Where annual payments rely on the likes of my flawed memory, things slip through the cracks as it were.  I am not personally averse to signing up for an annual automatic subscription payment if there is an easy way of so doing.

I think it comes down to a setting on the PayPal web site. I paid the subscription for a year, but only noticed it wasn’t automatically renewed when I couldn’t start a forum thread. I went back to PayPal and paid again, but for the life of me I can’t remember the settings there about automatically paying each year.
Richard Hawking (not Richard Haw!), in Tokyo

Bob Foster

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2023, 13:41:41 »
Back in the dark ages I maintained a website that included a BBS for an employer. I can attest to the fact that there is a not insignificant amount of labor involved . Even placing setup and software maintenance aside, the time invested by the principals here in the daily oversight of NG may not be burdensome but cumulatively represents an investment in our community. I give my thanks to the crew that has made and maintains Nikon Gear Revival.

Bob

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2023, 14:06:47 »
Thanks Richard.  Any help in this matter would be gratefully received by me and no doubt others here.

I think it comes down to a setting on the PayPal web site. I paid the subscription for a year, but only noticed it wasn’t automatically renewed when I couldn’t start a forum thread. I went back to PayPal and paid again, but for the life of me I can’t remember the settings there about automatically paying each year.
Hugh Gunn

BillO

• NG Supporter
  • Cruising the US in a Motorhome
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2023, 04:33:43 »

I have the same issue with memory.  Personally, I do not need an automatic renewal but DID appreciate it when I would get a message around the time of renewal.  That feature seems to have dropped off the platform and I had to check from this thread to see that mine subscription has expired.
Regards,
Bill Oliver

Adli Wahid

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2023, 08:41:32 »
I am new-ish to the forum but have gotten so much out of it. Now a happy supporter too. Thank you!

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2023, 12:39:44 »
Thank you all who joins, rejoins and supports our community here on NikonGear!
Erik Lund