Author Topic: What's next for Z6, Z7, and Z50 bodies?  (Read 4030 times)

RobOK

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • My gallery
Re: What's next for Z6, Z7, and Z50 bodies?
« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2023, 20:40:03 »
Sorry to bring up and old thread, perhaps not good form, but I did search....

Have they announced a Z6 III ? A z8 is going to be outside my range (both in money and skill!). As there been an official or unofficial word on the next z6 iteration?

Rob.

Ian Watson

• NG Supporter
« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2023, 21:54:27 »
Nothing has been announced yet but we are likely to hear something about new bodies in the next few months.

I too am curious what Nikon will do with a Z6 III.  The most obvious upgrades would involve some of the technology from the Z9, but that would need a new sensor.

I am also curious how a Z8 would fit between the Z7 II and the Z9. Another new sensor? Is there room for both a Z7 and a Z8? I suppose there would be if the Z8 had even more megapixels than the Z9. Do we need more?

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2023, 22:11:13 »
"Do we need more [megapixels]?"

Ordinarily, no. Today's models with 36-45MPix sensor for FX suffice most requirements and can be unforgiving for the lenses as well. Plus they ruthlessly expose the photographer's inability to keep the camera steady !!

However, for certain specific applications, yes more MPix is welcome even though we might not use all of them. It's rather about pixel density of the sensor. I would very much like 60-80-100 MPix for the camera on which I put my Rodenstock Heligons. Admittedly an extreme and utterly unhinged example, however exactly what a nerd like yours truly might wish for in the quest for even more nerdy imagery :)

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2023, 10:11:39 »
I too am curious what Nikon will do with a Z6 III.  The most obvious upgrades would involve some of the technology from the Z9, but that would need a new sensor.

They could still use the Expeed 7 from the Z9 and subject-recognition algorithms even with the current Z6 II sensor. It would likely improve focusing. However, for fast-moving subjects, photographing silently, and for video when panning or photographing a subject with fast motion, one would benefit from a stacked sensor. The issue with that is how much it would cost? I don't think it's possible to include a stacked full-frame sensor in a 2k€ price class camera at the present time, but of course at a later time in development of manufacturing technology, maybe it would be.

I am also curious how a Z8 would fit between the Z7 II and the Z9. Another new sensor? Is there room for both a Z7 and a Z8? I suppose there would be if the Z8 had even more megapixels than the Z9. Do we need more?

At least when using the 500 PF at f/5.6, EFCS and proper tripod, I find that moire on bird textures (passerines etc.) is commonplace and this is a little annoying. A higher-resolution sensor would allow clean rendering of the correct colours when using high-resolution lenses (which are becoming more and more common as lenses improve).

However, for hand-held use with sloppy technique, perhaps this is not as much of a priority. I have not seen moire in images taken with the 45 MP sensor in hand-held use, but did see it with 36MP. I think 60 MP or 80 MP would make these occurrences less likely and thus this would improve accuracy. However, if such a sensor would have slow read times then people would get distorted bird-in-flight images where the shapes are all warped-up as they would no doubt try to use the electronic shutter due to its silence.