Author Topic: What's The BEST Nikon Body for Manual Focusing Lenses?  (Read 2093 times)

paul hofseth

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: What's The BEST Nikon Body for Manual Focusing Lenses?
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2022, 16:26:53 »
thanks, a brilliant solution. A menu I had always assumed to be a subgroup of the other menus. Now I have permanently gotten rid of the exposure resetting itself athough a mechanical lock would have been preferrable.

However,  the focus point movement is still unmanageable. Another mirrorless I looked at when deciding on a camera fit for manual lenses was  the Leitz SL reincarnation. It  had the same problem but was even bigger and more clumsy than the Z7.

p.

SLR

• PC(e) Nikkor
  • NG Member
  • Fabulous gear...Lack of Talent
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2023, 04:26:30 »
All big  D  camera`s....and you do apply " snap-focusing " yes ?
Kodak SlrN..D1..D1x..D3S..D3x..PC(E) Nikkors with assorted Lenses Always have Filters mounted ...and Clean the Sensors on the fly.

Dogman

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2023, 15:54:57 »
Practice, practice, practice.

Since I replied last time, I've applied the "practice" principal.  Since all lenses were manual focus when I started the endeavor of photography, I was appalled at how rusty I had become and how dependent I was on AF.  I've been using manual lenses a lot over the past few months and my focusing skills have been returning.  Other than becoming familiar with the image on the screen, becoming familiar with how the "in focus" green dot behaves was also helpful. 

In situations where I know there will be moving subjects or unknown circumstances,  I still rely on AF lenses.  But for my normal static subject matter, manual focus is enjoyable and rewarding.

Standard dog photo, manually focused with a 50mm at ƒ/2.8:

"If it's more than a hundred feet from the car, it's not photogenic."--Edward Weston

My Photos: https://www.flickr.com/photos/197057338@N03/