Author Topic: What's next for Z6, Z7, and Z50 bodies?  (Read 4041 times)

Luc

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Flickr
Re: What's next for Z6, Z7, and Z50 bodies?
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2022, 22:05:01 »
The width of the Sony adapter is 66mm, minus mount 46mm leaves 20/2 = 10mm.
Nikon FTZ is 70mm, minus mount 55mm lease 15/2 = 7,5mm.
So less space in the Nikon adapter for the necessary cogs for screw drive.

Snoogly

• NG Supporter
  • Flipping the bird
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2022, 22:07:18 »
A Z6ii firmware update would be nice :-(
Richard Hawking (not Richard Haw!), in Tokyo

MILLIREHM

• NG Supporter
  • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2022, 00:08:03 »
I'd like to have a high-resolution Z8
And i won't replace my Z6 with a different body as long as aZ6 III does not have a significantly changed control layout (more like Z9 and SLR) and does not get back required features, like changing exposure values in full stops and ISO and exposure correction settings separately
Wolfgang Rehm

BruceSD

• Confirmed Bokeholic
  • NG Member
  • I'm here to learn from the best
    • The F/2 Guru
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2022, 16:16:27 »
How about the next new camera having a replaceable sensor?

I've personally removed sensors from digital cameras - not that difficult.

Having a replaceable sensor, one could change the sensor like one changes a lenses.   Imagine being able to have a high mp sensor for landscapes, and a medium mp sensor for fast sports/action, and a low mp sensor for low light!

Also, having the ability to replace the sensor when a new type of sensor became available would extend the useful life of your camera.

Jack Dahlgren

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2022, 16:27:35 »

Having a replaceable sensor, one could change the sensor like one changes a lenses.   Imagine being able to have a high mp sensor for landscapes, and a medium mp sensor for fast sports/action, and a low mp sensor for low light!

Also, having the ability to replace the sensor when a new type of sensor became available would extend the useful life of your camera.

More than ever the improvements are in the processor and electronics architecture. Newer sensors require changes which extend beyond the sensor itself. Even things like cooling and vibration stabilization. Nikon is heading towards increased reliability by removing moving parts like shutter and mirror, but considering the small space and complexity of cameras in general, building a body on which you can exchange and upgrade parts is likely to be one of those things which sounds good on paper, but actually isn't when you get down to it.

RobOK

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • My gallery
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2022, 19:50:35 »
I'd like to have a high-resolution Z8
And i won't replace my Z6 with a different body as long as aZ6 III does not have a significantly changed control layout (more like Z9 and SLR) and does not get back required features, like changing exposure values in full stops and ISO and exposure correction settings separately

What does this mean please?

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2022, 00:17:00 »
Ricoh tried this with some of their up market P/S cameras aimed at the tourist sector (and others) where each lens had its own sealed and dedicated sensor and the body was more of a viewing and data handling device.

Hugh Gunn

MILLIREHM

• NG Supporter
  • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2022, 07:44:04 »
What does this mean please?
With the Z6 you can change exposure settings in 1/3 stops or you can change that to 1/2 stops - full stops  are not possible
And there is just one setting for everything, may it be chosing aperture or shutter-speed, iso-settings and exposure correction, you can't chose the step sizes separately like it is possible with Nikon SLR.
Wolfgang Rehm

Jack Dahlgren

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2022, 19:48:10 »
With the Z6 you can change exposure settings in 1/3 stops or you can change that to 1/2 stops - full stops  are not possible
And there is just one setting for everything, may it be chosing aperture or shutter-speed, iso-settings and exposure correction, you can't chose the step sizes separately like it is possible with Nikon SLR.

I've used my Z6 for years now and never noticed this as a problem. Maybe because I get full stops with manual aperture lenses? 1/3 stops are what I use for exposure compensation.

MILLIREHM

• NG Supporter
  • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2022, 00:00:24 »
I've used my Z6 for years now and never noticed this as a problem. Maybe because I get full stops with manual aperture lenses? 1/3 stops are what I use for exposure compensation.
I use 1/3 stops for Exposure compensation too. But i find it annoying and slow to be forced to change Aperture or ISO-Settings in 1/3 Stops too
Wolfgang Rehm

ianwatson

« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2022, 04:17:10 »
So do I.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2022, 04:26:23 »
I also prefer one full step for ISO and 1/3 step for shutter speed, aperture and exposure comp.  I remember I switched annoyingly between 1/2 and 1/3 when I used Nikon bodies.  I can live with 1/2 step for aperture, though.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

MILLIREHM

• NG Supporter
  • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2022, 08:28:35 »
Yes one can live with that somehow. But I dont ounderstand why Nikon is making a step back and make impossible what was is possible with SLR and formed habits. Implementing selective settings and giving the full choice between 1, 1/2 and 1/3 is no rocket science and easily can be re-added with a firmware update
Wolfgang Rehm

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2022, 11:00:17 »
Yes one can live with that somehow. But I dont ounderstand why Nikon is making a step back and make impossible what was is possible with SLR and formed habits. Implementing selective settings and giving the full choice between 1, 1/2 and 1/3 is no rocket science and easily can be re-added with a firmware update

Because if they start with perfect products, there is less incentive for the customers to buy new upgraded models. The customer is never supposed to be completely happy with a current product, in order to ensure there is enough motivation to purchase future products. Once the products reach perfection, they will end the product line and start a new one with a slightly crude implementation.

A less cynical view might be that they want to clean up the menu system of options that many users don't need.

Kenneth Rich

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2022, 17:17:31 »
Well Ikka, for my ancient, narrow mind, you have explained the fate of the Df.