Author Topic: What's next for Z6, Z7, and Z50 bodies?  (Read 4040 times)

RobOK

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • My gallery
What's next for Z6, Z7, and Z50 bodies?
« on: January 21, 2022, 21:34:12 »
I have been enjoying my Z6 tremendously and have not felt a need to move to the Z6 II. I may at some point go higher megapixel to a Z7.

Has Nikon announced (or rumored) the mark III versions? Are they expected this year?

Same question on the Z50. I like the idea of a light walkabout and tried out the Zfc version of the Z50 but I did not like the lack of grip. I love my Df but liked it better with a grip added.

So are there any plans on the next iterations of these bodies?

Thanks!

Jan Anne

• Noob
  • Global Moderator
  • Holland
    • Me on Flickr
Re: What's next for Z6, Z7, and Z50 bodies?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2022, 22:12:04 »
Current (semi) pro bodies usually have a 2 year lifecycle so I expect the MKIII models to be announced in Q3 this year and available on the market in Q4:
- Z6/7: August 2018
- Z6/7II: Oct 2020
- Z6/7III: Q3 2022??
Cheers,
Jan Anne

RobOK

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • My gallery
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2022, 22:34:23 »
Thanks Jan....

Any speculation on the Z6 III and what it might offer?

Jack Dahlgren

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2022, 22:48:48 »
Thanks Jan....

I'd expect that Nikon will try to bring the capabilities like subject tracking further across the range of cameras. To do this there are some architectural changes to the electronics needed (the parallel viewer/storage pipeline for example) and likely new sensors, but once they have that, the software side can be amortized across the full line of cameras. Z6 was originally positioned as video capable with the Z7 as high res stills. This may persist and maybe Z6 gets video enhancements as well - and maybe body changes somewhat to support better cooling for the inevitable increase in heat. I think these changes are likely not visible on the surface.

Jan Anne

• Noob
  • Global Moderator
  • Holland
    • Me on Flickr
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2022, 23:32:39 »
Thanks Jan....

Pure speculation but highly likely:
- Expeed 7 processor from the Z9 for faster processing and handling speeds
- 24-33MP BMS sensor (Sony a7IV went to 33MP)
- Bird eye, animal, human, car, etc tracking
- Much faster autofocus but slower (tracking) than the Z9 because of the non stacked sensor
- Higher framerate at 14bit RAW due to faster processor
- Even longer exposures than the 15 minute limit without a remote (personal wish)
- Slight higher DR
- Even cleaner noise performance when they stick with 24MP or equal to the current models if they bump the MP’s
Cheers,
Jan Anne

Bent Hjarbo

• NG Supporter
  • Hvidovre, Denmark
    • Hjarbos hjemmeside
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2022, 00:02:50 »
One thing I would like to have on my next Z camera is the UI from the D500/D8xx, that is the "Pro" UI.
The Z6 serves me well, but I don't like the "U" user modes.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2022, 04:12:56 »
This is my pure speculation:

The next Z7III may share the same sensor used in Z9 and have no mechanical shutter.  If Tower Semiconductor would develop a lower cost, lower pixel (around 30MP?) sensor using the same technology, Z6III could also go without the mechanical shutter.  Z5II might be a virtual Z6II, the only model that will still have a mechanical shutter.

Zfc is practically a Z50 derivative with the UI of a film camera, so, there isn't really anything new about the APS-C models at this moment.

The only remaining mechanical part in any full-frame camera is IBIS which may stay for a while, because you would need a larger sensor to enable the fully electronic image stabilization.

I'm not SIGMA fan boy, but, their fp model turned to be a radically forward thinking camera to eliminate all the mechanical parts: the shutter, the IBIS, the mirror of course, and even the dust reduction!
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

fentriss

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2022, 09:39:44 »
Something with more (70+) megapixels would be nice. 4096 bye bye's richard

Jan Anne

• Noob
  • Global Moderator
  • Holland
    • Me on Flickr
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2022, 10:08:40 »
I don’t think the Z7III will have a stacked sensor until those sensors can rival the ultra clean images of the BMS sensor in the current Z7 range. With different sensor technologies the Z7III can complement the Z9 or be an excellent slow action camera on its own.

The Z6III might get a stacked sensor but it kind of depends how Nikon wants to counter the Sony a9M2 which has a 24MP stacked sensor, they might choose to beef up the Z6, introduce a Z8 model to counter both the a9M2 and the Canon R3 or just completely ignore the segment of low res high speed cameras the D6 used to sit in.
Cheers,
Jan Anne

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2022, 10:34:14 »
A Z6III to rival the A9II and R3 will be the perfect for my needs. Silent, fast, no or little rolling shutter, no blackout, video up to 4k... Exactly what I'm doing with the Z6 right now. A strong step up.

chambeshi

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2022, 11:56:25 »
You may be proved correct, on the future of the Z7 III. Nikon already many of the core parts for more high end cameras, including: EXPEED7 processor, Z9 AF and EVF code, CFExpress media is now the new standard. The company has no option but to prioritize high performance cameras at both ends of its Z System: DX (Z90) and FX with high resolution sensors and/or Z9 spec AF.

The Z50, Zfc and Z5 are already out in the world to grow up its client base. The question at the crux of Nikon's future cameras is how quickly will they upgrade their "primary core MILCs" to stacked-sensors to handle the Z9 blackout free EVF and AF (i.e. Z7, then perhaps Z6)? This may be too costly, but it's one way way to sell more Z9 sensors - so the Z7 is more likely to go stacked first.

The Z90 is other question mark as to what is next. The incentive for the Z90 is the impatience over lack of a D500 "equivalent", and a more affordable MILC for action genres, which can also deliver excellent 4K video. Nikon must have known the future trends for DX many months ago. Thus Z90 must be an urgent priority, because Fujifilm already has its flagship X-H2 due in 2022, possibly in May. Uncertainty whether its sensor is 24mp or 40mp but it is definitely stacked
https://www.digitalcameraworld.com/news/fujifilm-x-h2-heres-what-we-know-what-we-think-we-know-and-what-we-hope-for

This is my pure speculation:

The next Z7III may share the same sensor used in Z9 and have no mechanical shutter.  If Tower Semiconductor would develop a lower cost, lower pixel (around 30MP?) sensor using the same technology, Z6III could also go without the mechanical shutter.  Z5II might be a virtual Z6II, the only model that will still have a mechanical shutter.

Zfc is practically a Z50 derivative with the UI of a film camera, so, there isn't really anything new about the APS-C models at this moment.

The only remaining mechanical part in any full-frame camera is IBIS which may stay for a while, because you would need a larger sensor to enable the fully electronic image stabilization.

I'm not SIGMA fan boy, but, their fp model turned to be a radically forward thinking camera to eliminate all the mechanical parts: the shutter, the IBIS, the mirror of course, and even the dust reduction!

RobOK

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • My gallery
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2022, 13:50:48 »
And sadly no Z Df !!

I’m on a Z6 now, will see if the Z6 II goes on sale prior to a III release. Or pick up a refurb/ lightly used Z6 II.

Jan Anne

• Noob
  • Global Moderator
  • Holland
    • Me on Flickr
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2022, 14:42:52 »
And sadly no Z Df !!
Its a common marketing strategy to first release something which will excite people before releasing what people really want so they can sell two devices in a short period of time.

I think the entry level Zfc lured in a lot of the younger generation to the Zee platform but also sold well with the older generation whom actually would like to see FX Zf and an adapter better suited for the older Nikon F lenses.

Same with the tele lenses, Sony sold a lot of the 100-400mm as it was the only option back then but once the 200-600mm was launched a lot moved to the longer tele. Nikon is following the same strategy now, first the 100-400 and 400/2.8 with 200-600mm, 600/4 and 800/6.3 being released later with the only difference that Nikon does forecast which lenses are coming so you at least know which options will become available in the future.
Cheers,
Jan Anne

chambeshi

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2022, 15:52:05 »
I was hoping someone would inject the subject of more Retro-Z cameras i.e. Zf. The Zfc is not much more than a Z50 with some extra features, but different skin. Nikon could repeat this with a Z6 and sell more sensors in a Zf using the same strategy. 

The gap of a better FTZd adapter to revive the legacy of Nikon F Mount is a festering topic. This concern keeps bobbing to the surface. Even if Nikon have decided it is not worthwhile making a compact FTZd adapter, they should be able to design a dedicated grip for the Zf, Z6 and Z7 series etc with a built in AF motor and also fit 2 batteries. Many of us shooting a mixed F and Z system want to keep unique AFD optics (e.g 85 f1.4AFD, DC primes, 180 f2.8AFD, 70-180 Micro-Nikkor and many more)

Its a common marketing strategy to first release something which will excite people before releasing what people really want so they can sell two devices in a short period of time.

I think the entry level Zf lured in a lot of the younger generation to the Zee platform but also sold well with the older generation whom actually would like to see Fx Zf and an adapter better suited for the older Nikon F lenses.

Same with the tele lenses, Sony sold a lot of the 100-400mm as it was the only option back then but once the 200-600mm was launched a lot moved to the longer tele. Nikon is following the same strategy now, first the 100-400 and 400/2.8 with 200-600mm, 600/4 and 800/6.3 being released later with the only difference that Nikon does forecast which lenses are coming so you at least know which options will become available in the future.

Jan Anne

• Noob
  • Global Moderator
  • Holland
    • Me on Flickr
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2022, 16:30:04 »
Well it took Sony a 7 years to deliver the compact LA-EA5 adapter with AF drive so by the time it was finally available there were plenty native FE lenses available. It replaced the LA-EA4 which was a monster as it also had a builtin translucent mirror and phase detect AF sensors as originally the mirrorless camera mainly relied on contrast AF.

The announcement details on DPR, attached some of the images from their article:
https://www.dpreview.com/news/5851213370/sony-releases-new-a-mount-to-e-mount-lens-adapter-with-built-in-screw-drive-support
Cheers,
Jan Anne