Author Topic: Nikon Z DX rumors?  (Read 4225 times)

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: Nikon Z DX rumors?
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2021, 19:59:22 »
Why is the Z50 not considered as the "D500 Z model"?
It is the same image sensor?

I think if Nikon plan to come out with a hi-res DX model it will be advertised after some expensive FX models to sell as many of those as possible.

A 42 MP DX with IBIS and a similar ISO performance as Z50 would be nice. But I doubt it will happen in the near future.

MILLIREHM

• NG Supporter
  • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2021, 20:13:48 »
The D500 is a unique camera. When it came (long awaited top-level DX camera after the D300s) out it had the best available AF Module (the one that D5 was using but covering more of the frame due to DX format) and 10 fps with the small battery and without grip. Together with an appropriate telezooom this made her perfect for hiking and travelling and having action and Bird in flight capability at hand. I dont see the Z50 to replace that.
Wolfgang Rehm

Bill De Jager

• NG Supporter
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2021, 20:21:29 »
Why is the Z50 not considered as the "D500 Z model"?
It is the same image sensor?

The D7500 also has the same image sensor, but it doesn't have the AF capabilities of the D500 and it's not equivalent. 

The D500 has not just speed (duplicated by the Z50), not just a wide array of AF points (also duplicated, actually improved upon in sheer number but not type) by the Z50, but also tremendous AF tracking ability not matched by the Z50 as well as a professional body built to stand up to rough environments.  Given the AF tracking performance of the Z9, I expect that a Z equivalent of the D500 could easily be created if Nikon chose to do so.  At this point it's nowhere in sight.

Jan Anne

• Noob
  • Global Moderator
  • Holland
    • Me on Flickr
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2021, 20:37:23 »
Plus the D500 has the same pro (lockable) button layout, XQD cardslot, round OVF, lit buttons, en-el15, etc as the D8xx cameras.

The Z50 is the mirrorless counterpart of the D5xxx range with the consumer buttons layout, smaller battery, SD card, etc.

Its very simple, if it doesn’t have a dedicated AF-ON button it aint a pro body :)
Cheers,
Jan Anne

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2021, 20:40:02 »
OK!
My Nikon route has been: FE2 -> F4s -> D2X -> D5200 -> Z50
Even that the body of D5200 was far from D2X in terms of "quality" it felt like a big step ahead regarding image quality.
Z50 also a step ahead in image quality even that it has a bit lower resolution. ISO performance is better and AF more accurate.
Z50 has the best AF tracking of those cameras......but I can read that it can be even better :-) 

chris dees

• NG Supporter
  • Amsterdam
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2021, 21:45:06 »
What I would like to see is a stacked dx sensor (with a lot of the Z9 goodies) in a Z6/7 body somewhere next year. A mini Z9 so to say. Until then my D500 will have to do it.
Chris Dees

Bill De Jager

• NG Supporter
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2021, 21:48:09 »
What I would like to see is a stacked dx sensor (with a lot of the Z9 goodies) in a Z6/7 body somewhere next year. A mini Z9 so to say.

That with the upcoming 400mm PF lens would be a killer combo for shooting wildlife.

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2021, 22:17:35 »
What I would like to see is a stacked dx sensor (with a lot of the Z9 goodies) in a Z6/7 body somewhere next year. A mini Z9 so to say. Until then my D500 will have to do it.
Ditto. That will be a proper D500 replacement.

Jan Anne

• Noob
  • Global Moderator
  • Holland
    • Me on Flickr
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2021, 22:27:59 »
OK!
My Nikon route has been: FE2 -> F4s -> D2X -> D5200 -> Z50
Even that the body of D5200 was far from D2X in terms of "quality" it felt like a big step ahead regarding image quality.
Z50 also a step ahead in image quality even that it has a bit lower resolution. ISO performance is better and AF more accurate.
Z50 has the best AF tracking of those cameras......but I can read that it can be even better :-)
IQ is pretty much the same nowadays across the entire range and auto focus is good enough with the shorter lenses.

There’s currently only a handful of mirrorless cameras which can rival a pro DSLR auto focus reliability with long tele lenses though, the first was the Sony A9 a few years ago and now Nikon and Canon finally released the Z9 and R3 to compete with the Sony A1 and A9II respectively. And even though the Sony A7 series have improved the AF with the MKIV iterations it isn’t close to their top tier cameras and thats what made the D500 so special as it was darn close to the D5 in performance for a lot less money.

So if Nikon repeats the past we should get 90% of the Z9 performance in a smaller and more affordable package, it might take a few more years though.
Cheers,
Jan Anne

Bruno Schroder

• NG Supporter
  • Future is the only way forward
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2021, 22:37:23 »
There is not enough improvement gained by replacing a D500 with one of  the current Zs, except the Z9, and apparently, for better focus with the 1.4x and 2x extenders. Personally, I’m doing a lot of macro with manual lenses so sensor VR on DX could make the difference.
Bruno Schröder

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2022, 08:28:28 »
I realized that Fuji makes a 40MP APS-C camera so should expect Nikon to come out with a similar DX model?
https://thenewcamera.com/fuji-x-h2-camera-to-feature-40mp-sensor/

Luc

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Flickr
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2022, 08:59:14 »
That 40mp Fuji is a rumor. Latest rumors on Fujirumors suggest a 26mp sensor for the XH2.

Jan Anne

• Noob
  • Global Moderator
  • Holland
    • Me on Flickr
« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2022, 11:14:53 »
Sony halted production of their flagship aps-c a6600 camera a few weeks ago, if it is due to lack of parts or sales wasn’t mentioned.
Cheers,
Jan Anne

Luc

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Flickr
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2022, 12:38:48 »
Sony halted production of their flagship aps-c a6600 camera a few weeks ago, if it is due to lack of parts or sales wasn’t mentioned.

I guess primarily lack of microchips. New cars have between 1.000 and 3.000+ microchips and the car industry is one of many also suffering from delays. I confess to being complicit as I have such a car and invested in ASML stock ::)

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2022, 13:23:18 »
Normally one gets two sets of keys with a new car, but with some makes here in Melbourne only one set is provided - with chip shortages being cited.  A bit worrisome I must say.

ASML stock is good to buy Luc - even if they are a major competitor to Nikon in the stepper field.
Hugh Gunn