Author Topic: D600 Upgrade?  (Read 7408 times)

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: D600 Upgrade?
« Reply #30 on: September 02, 2021, 22:30:13 »
Does the AF-Focus point turn green with AF (pre AF-D) screwdriver lenses? I've read about this feature and how it works with AF-D lenses but not with AF (non-AF-D) lenses. I've also read that the >o< focus indicators do not work with AF Nikkors but do with AF-D Nikkors. Again, not having access to the various cameras, FTZ adapter and trying various AI, AIS, AF and AF-D makes understanding how these all interact in the real world very difficult.

Dave

I have only tried with an AF 85/1.4D and was surprised that the focus point indicator turned green when focus was achieved.
This makes it much easier to use. I have an AF 300/2.8 EDIF .....I assume "non D"....but have not tried it. I hope it will work...... or I will be very disappointed!

Bent Hjarbo

• NG Supporter
  • Hvidovre, Denmark
    • Hjarbos hjemmeside
« Reply #31 on: September 02, 2021, 22:52:43 »
Just did some testing on my Z6.
AF-D gives focus indication, you get a white dot, when in focus.
AF does not give any indication with the white dot, only zebras.
The preview is maybe some different from old DSLRs, the lens is stopped down to f5.6, if you dial some smaller than that, but will take picture at set f value. Using a button to do preview it will stop down, as in old days. AF and AF-D.
Using a dumb adapter will give same result as with Ai and AiS lenses, as no electrical connection exists.
Hope this helps.

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #32 on: September 02, 2021, 23:30:51 »
Yes, white dot but also red to green shift when focus point is in focus. It is possible to move the focus point to where focus is wanted and turn focus ring until the red square turns green (like it does when a lens auto focus). It requires that an AF mode is selected where the user has full control of the focus point. It is called single AF focus area?    .....where you can move around with a single AF-point using the cursor?
Maybe not that many uses that mode.......

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2021, 03:40:04 »
Thanks for the feedback!

Dave
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

ianwatson

« Reply #34 on: September 03, 2021, 15:47:22 »

My understanding from multiple sites is the "Auto Aperture" feature of non-AI, AI and AIS Nikkors without a CPU modification do not feature Auto Aperture when mounted on the Nikon FTZ adapter.

You are correct, Dave. My AI lenses on the FTZ stay at the aperture set on the ring. The electronic viewfinder's brightness does not care and focusing is not as problematic as you might expect.

Jack Dahlgren

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #35 on: September 03, 2021, 18:31:40 »
You are correct, Dave. My AI lenses on the FTZ stay at the aperture set on the ring. The electronic viewfinder's brightness does not care and focusing is not as problematic as you might expect.

I share Ian's experience. I don't have any chipped AI lenses so my lenses stay just as you left them.
Working with AI lenses on the Z6 I find it easiest to shoot in manual mode with Autoiso. This allows best of both shutter priority and aperture priority. I'm usually fine with ISO up to about 10-12K depending on subject so there is a lot of latitude for quickly changing conditions without having to touch a dial.

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
« Reply #36 on: September 03, 2021, 21:47:38 »
Ian and jack: Thank you!

Roland Vink

• NG Supporter
  • Nikon Nerd from New Zealand
    • Nikon Database
« Reply #37 on: September 09, 2021, 01:20:10 »
Thank you for your comments, some interesting comments here.

I did not consider the D810 or D850, they are significantly heavier than my D600 and slightly bigger too. I prefer to use a smaller, lighter camera, although there is no doubt the D8xx cameras are outstanding.

The D750 is an interesting option I had not considered. It is the same size and even marginally lighter than the D600. The tilt out screen would be useful, and newer EXPEED processor should give improved high ISO performance. Although I don't have many AF lenses the wider spread of AF points would be useful even for manual focusing. The D780 is rather expensive right now but could also be an option.

The Z6 is probably my first option among the mirrorless cameras. Maybe the Z5 would be better since it accepts SD cards, but the EVF is lower resolution and the it does not have a BSI sensor so high-ISO performance is not as good (not that I shoot at high ISO often, but having more head-room would be useful).

On the other hand, another option would be to expand my m4/3 kit ... :o :)

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
« Reply #38 on: September 09, 2021, 03:40:43 »
The Z6 is probably my first option among the mirrorless cameras.

The Nikon Z6 has only one memory card slot and it accepts only a QXD or CFExpress Type B card. If you don't have one of these factor in $100.00 (USD) or more into your startup cost for the Z6. You will also need a card reader for QXD and CFExpress cards so add another $100.00 to your start up cost. If you forgo a QXD or CFExpress to start with and use your current SDXC cards you can put that $200.00 towards the price of a Nikon Z6 II. This was pointed out to me in anther discussion. I think this is a valid consideration.

If you use existing SDXC cards and readers the Nikon Z6 II still cost only $200.00 (USD) more than a Z6 both B&H Photo prices without a FTZ adapter. The FTZ adapter as a stand alone costs $250.00 for either.

Dave

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
« Reply #39 on: September 09, 2021, 07:27:48 »
Roland, in Melbourne a 64GB Sandisk CF-Express card is around $A300. a Sandisk reader $A100, and a Sony CF-Express/XQD reader $A200.  I am guessing these prices plus 5% for you in NZ?

I would therefore also opt for the Z6-II as being a better value proposition when the card and reader costs are factored in. 

I have also heard some grumbles about certain of the Sandisk readers being flaky.  YMMV.
Hugh Gunn

Gone

• NG Member
  • No longer wish to be ignored
« Reply #40 on: September 09, 2021, 09:30:16 »
You may pay more for XQD or CFE card but the read /write speeds are significantly faster - up to 80 times faster than an SD card. With large RAW files this is a major consideration!

Bill De Jager

• NG Supporter
« Reply #41 on: September 09, 2021, 21:11:04 »
The D750 has much better ergonomics than the D600/610.  It handles very nicely.  The design was made similar to the D7100, and to me using feels very much like using my D7200.  I've been very happy with it overall, with my only two gripes being the maximum shutter speed of 1/4000 and the lack of electronic first curtain shutter.  The D780 fixes those issues and adds some other pluses, at the cost of a far higher price at present.

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
« Reply #42 on: September 10, 2021, 03:57:00 »
You may pay more for XQD or CFE card but the read /write speeds are significantly faster - up to 80 times faster than an SD card. With large RAW files this is a major consideration!

I'd rather get the camera with the most, first then add a CFExpress B and card reader later. I'm making do with a D850 and a 64GB, 170 MB/s SDXC card. I would not have bought a lessor camera and faster memory cards and a fast reader. I'll probably buy a Z7 II or Z6 II before buying a CFExpress card and reader.

The Z6 II has Dual EXPEED 6 Image Processors compared to the Z6 having only one EXPEED 6 Image Processors. That's a lot more processing power for the Z6 II.

Dave

Jack Dahlgren

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #43 on: September 10, 2021, 21:31:14 »
Roland, in Melbourne a 64GB Sandisk CF-Express card is around $A300. a Sandisk reader $A100, and a Sony CF-Express/XQD reader $A200.  I am guessing these prices plus 5% for you in NZ?

I would therefore also opt for the Z6-II as being a better value proposition when the card and reader costs are factored in. 

I have also heard some grumbles about certain of the Sandisk readers being flaky.  YMMV.

My cheap Sony XQD reader was around $30 US. It has been working fine since 2018.

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
« Reply #44 on: September 11, 2021, 07:13:12 »
My cheap Sony XQD reader was around $30 US. It has been working fine since 2018.

Will it read CFExpress or is there an updated model. What about the speed? Does it fulfill the promise or does the economical price bring a speed penalty?

Dave