Author Topic: D600 Upgrade?  (Read 1264 times)

Hugh_3170

• NG Member
  • Back in Melbourne!
Re: D600 Upgrade?
« Reply #45 on: September 11, 2021, 08:35:31 »
Mine is also a Sony reader - Model MRW-E90 - and also from 2018 and it set me back around $A90 (about $US70 as I write). 

It is a dual XQD and SDXC-II reader and works flawlessly with both my XQD and SDXC cards.  However it is no longer available here and so far there are no firmware updates for it.  I cannot imagine that XQD will be around for ever now that CF-Express is here, so if/when I buy into CF-Express I am up for a new reader.

Whilst the speeds of XQD and CF-Express cards are not in doubt, unless you are regularly overflowing the cameras buffer memory with long stills sequences or special video requirements, the less expensive SDXC cards will work fine - accepting of course that they are also likely to be slower to unload onto ones computer.

My cheap Sony XQD reader was around $30 US. It has been working fine since 2018.
Hugh Gunn

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #46 on: September 11, 2021, 10:07:44 »
That a CFExpress card and reader is superior to an SDXC card and reader is not the point. The point is the Nikon Z6 II has major improvements a over the Nikon Z6. The Nikon Z6 II has two EXPEED 6 image processors while the Nikon Z6 has only one. If you start with a Z6 II and a SDXC card and reader you already have you can add a CFExpress memory card and reader later. You can not add a second EXPEED 6 processor to a Nikon Z6.

The two EXPEED 6 image processors in the Nikon Z6 II allow many significant improvements to the Z6 II over the Z6. A $400.00 instant rebate off the Nikon Z6 is not a deep enough discount to motivate me to buy the Z6 even if the Z6 had two memory slots and could accept both a CFExpress and SDXC memory card.

Dave

CFExpress B v. XQD? I would not buy XQD at this time even if there were deep discounts. XQD is going to die out and probably sooner than later.

Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

Hugh_3170

• NG Member
  • Back in Melbourne!
« Reply #47 on: September 11, 2021, 12:43:39 »
The rebates are also pretty good for the Z6II and z7II where I am, so at this point of time I would not go for the earlier models either.
Hugh Gunn

Jack Dahlgren

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #48 on: September 13, 2021, 21:43:06 »
Will it read CFExpress or is there an updated model. What about the speed? Does it fulfill the promise or does the economical price bring a speed penalty?

Dave

Don’t know about CFExpress or updated models. It is fast enough that I’ve never thought I need to get anything faster.

Chris Betson

• NG Member
  • General Mr fixit and grumpy old bugger
    • Octarine Services
« Reply #49 on: September 13, 2021, 23:33:56 »
Picking up on another thread about dynamic range - the D600 matches (and even exceeds at low ISO) the latest cameras ...
https://www.photonstophotos.net/Charts/PDR.htm#Nikon%20D600,Nikon%20Z%2050,Nikon%20Z%206,Nikon%20Z%207,Nikon%20Z%207II