Author Topic: D600 Upgrade?  (Read 7424 times)

Luc

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Flickr
Re: D600 Upgrade?
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2021, 12:20:25 »
I just checked but that function is not among what I can select for f1 and f2 on the Z50. Would be useful.
According to the Z50 manual it's possible (Zoom on/off option). See the info in this link https://onlinemanual.nikonimglib.com/z50/en/09_menu_guide_05_f02.html

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2021, 12:47:30 »
According to the Z50 manual it's possible (Zoom on/off option). See the info in this link https://onlinemanual.nikonimglib.com/z50/en/09_menu_guide_05_f02.html

Ok, then I just have to find out how to actual select "Zoom on/off" in the f1 or f2 option menu. Seems I have to do something to have more options to select from.
Now I only see the standard options like WB, AF, M/A etc.......

Luc

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Flickr
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2021, 13:07:13 »
Just read the info in the link I posted. It describes in detail how to assign functions like zoom on/off to buttons on the Z50.

gabrielpix

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2021, 13:15:22 »
As far as I know the sensor of the D600 is the same as the D610, with minor improvements going into the D750, Z6, Z6II and D780. The new generations have higher ISO limits. Is there a noticeable improvement in the image quality, especially at low-medium ISO?

I mostly use AI lenses, the D600 viewfinder is not the best for manual focusing and I know the mirrorless cameras have better focusing aids which should help with focusing. IBIS would also be welcome. Lack of aperture information in EXIF data with manual lenses would be a disadvantage.

I like the long battery life of DSLRs, but USB charging should make the shorter battery life of mirrorless cameras less painful.

I  was in the same situation as you. Bought the D600 on the day of its release, used and loved it. I use Ai and AiS lenses a lot, and have many of them, but manual focusing was difficult with some of them. I was often off by just a little (which in my type of phtotography may sometimes be ok, but at times the resulting image became sort of pointless and I just deleted it).

Then a little used D750 came my way and I used it for next to a year. One difference was very noticeable: the white dot for accurate focus was indeed accurate, and snappy. I used it with a DK-17M finder loupe on an adapter (and, mostly by luck, it never slid off or was lost). My keeper rate was much improved, and the image quality was noticeably better at higher ISO (must confess that I am both lazy and busy and shoot jpegs most of the time but the difference at ISOs above 6400 was remarkable. The images also seemed to hold slightly more detail. I believe these differences were mostly down to the in-camera processing, going from Expeed3 to 4)
But there were two things I was not very fond of: The shutter was clonky. And the jpegs were too contrasty and a bit difficult to tune back to normal.

What then happened was a sort of revelation. I picked up a very well used D810. Now, this camera is a beauty. The DK-17M sits snugly in place. The autofocus accuracy is perfect (just like the D750), and with a wider spread of focus points. I can focus quickly on the screen itself but having learnt to rely on the white dot I now use it to finely adjust somewhat difficult lenses like the 24/2,0 or 50/1,2. Even though I most often use these stopped down one stop, I can get accurate focus wide open.
Along with the D810 I was thrilled that it came with an unused adapted K3 screen. But the focus accuracy with the normal screen + white dot was so good that I never even bothered to try to install it.

Furthermore, one of the best things about the D810 - it is silent. I shoot in Q mode, and nobody notices. It is almost stealthy.

And the image quality with old lenses... there seems to be something to it. I don't know if it has anything to do with sensor stack or what it might be, but I never had the kind of image quality from my old lenses that I get now. I may be fooling myself, but the difference seems greater than what you might expect as a result of the slightly higher resolution and lack of anti-aliasing filter. Also despite the higher resolution, I have not had to increase shutter speeds. This body is heavier, the grip is good, it feels very stable and with little vibration. Also, it has the same Expeed 4 version as the D750 although high ISO is not as impressive as the D750.

The Df? I was not tempted for a number of reasons and never tried it. But I would guess that, because it shares the AF sensor unit of the D600, it might not have the white dot accuracy of the D810.

/Gabriel Heyman

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2021, 17:25:13 »
Just read the info in the link I posted. It describes in detail how to assign functions like zoom on/off to buttons on the Z50.

I see.....all the other options showed up when one of the "pre-defined" options is selected. A bit confusing.......but now f1 is a "zoom-toggle". Very useful.....
I will also vote for a Z-body for manual lenses.

Luc

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Flickr
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2021, 17:31:14 »
Glad you were able to make it work. Useful indeed.

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2021, 06:57:41 »
Can someone rundown the function of AF-D Nikkor lenses on a Z7/Z7 II and FTZ adapter. Does auto aperture work? Probably no. DoF preview? etc.

Dave
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2021, 13:10:44 »
Auto aperture works. No difference there to any other Nikkor with AI, AIS etc. capability. If you have set up a preview function on the Z camera, this will also work through the FTZ.

The AF/AFD lenses require screwdriver linkage to the camera body for their AF to function.  This is not provided by the FTZ. Thus the Z system shares the limitiation of the very newest D3/5xxx cameras which won't do AF with these lenses, if memory serves.

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2021, 15:02:09 »
What is nice using AF/AFD lenses on Z-body is that the red AF-focus point (square) turns green when focus is achieved by focus the lens manually.
Apart from AF-function it is nice that the lens has a chip when used on a Z-body (via FTZ adapter).

Zang

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2021, 15:36:58 »
...Is there a noticeable improvement in the image quality, especially at low-medium ISO?

I believe that after D600, even though the image quality improvement is noticeable in testing, it will not impress you in your day to day use. I think ergonomics and ease of manual focusing may play a bigger role. I did not believe in the advantage of manual focusing using EVF until I bought Sony Nex6 for cheap. After a few years, I am still using Nex6 almost everyday. If you do not have a mirroless camera yet, why not consider a cheap one for now to play around with? I paid $50 Canadian dollars for my Nex6 in a good deal but I think it still can be found not much more expensive than that. Also, many other options are on the table.

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2021, 15:51:06 »
In the old "SLR-days" the rangefinders was known to give shaper handhold results caused by short trigger delay and no "mirror flip up".
I guess a digital rangefinder like the Z-bodies still has that advantage over the digital SLRs (if used the traditional way (not with "live view"))?

Zang

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2021, 16:13:59 »
In the old "SLR-days" the rangefinders was known to give shaper handhold results caused by short trigger delay and no "mirror flip up".
I guess a digital rangefinder like the Z-bodies still has that advantage over the digital SLRs (if used the traditional way (not with "live view"))?

I ruin my shots by misfocusing more than the camera movements :) but yes, I found a combination of a heavy lens and a light mirroless camera more stable than otherwise. Weight balance is a different issue.

PeterN

• NG Member
« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2021, 18:22:11 »
If you ask me what I would do: I would keep the D600 and add a Z-camera to the collection. You will then have the best of both worlds. When I bought the Z6, I sold the D750 and I still regret that decision. The D750 combined especially very well with the 58mm 1.4G. I preferred the D750 over the D810 for event photography.

I switched from Z6 to Z7 and don't regret that decision at all. The abundance of MPs allows me to crop and to downsample when I want to reduce noise. The output is noticeably sharper too (well, at least when I compared the cameras I owned). The Z7 is a pleasure to use with manual lenses, such as the 105mm 2.5. Sean Reid of Reidreviews concluded that the Z7 is the third best option for using Leica rangefinder lenses. Leica M is 1st and Leica SL 2nd. He also tested the Z7 with Nikon lenses (Q 200mm f4, 50mm 1.8 AIS, 28mm 2.8 AIS, 28mm 3.5 AI)
Peter

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2021, 20:59:29 »
Auto aperture works. No difference there to any other Nikkor with AI, AIS etc. capability.

I'm confused: By "Auto Aperture" I'm referring to the feature of the original F-Bayonet Nikkors such as my NIKKOR-S Auto 1:1.4 f=50mm where the lens aperture is held open until the shutter is tripped and then closes just before the exposure. From 1959 to about 1977 most Auto Aperture Nikkor lenses carried the word "Auto" on the ring around the front element.  Just in case I'm not referring to the AA mode, a feature of Nikon Speedlights and I'm not referring to AI (Auto Indexing).

My understanding from multiple sites is the "Auto Aperture" feature of non-AI, AI and AIS Nikkors without a CPU modification do not feature Auto Aperture when mounted on the Nikon FTZ adapter.

Understanding this would be so much easier if there were a brick and mortar camera store in reasonable driving distance where I could hold a camera, FTZ adapter and mount AI or AIS lens and see how it performed.

Dave

There used to be an illustration at Photography in Malaysia showing the F-bayonet, body and lens labeling the parts with the correct or official names. If anyone knows where this can be found at Photography in Malaysia or another site I'd very much like link. I've been searching to no avail.

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2021, 21:13:50 »
What is nice using AF/AFD lenses on Z-body is that the red AF-focus point (square) turns green when focus is achieved by focus the lens manually.
Apart from AF-function it is nice that the lens has a chip when used on a Z-body (via FTZ adapter).

Does the AF-Focus point turn green with AF (pre AF-D) screwdriver lenses? I've read about this feature and how it works with AF-D lenses but not with AF (non-AF-D) lenses. I've also read that the >o< focus indicators do not work with AF Nikkors but do with AF-D Nikkors. Again, not having access to the various cameras, FTZ adapter and trying various AI, AIS, AF and AF-D makes understanding how these all interact in the real world very difficult.

Dave