Author Topic: Nikon D3x Off to Nikon Repair for Servicing  (Read 5496 times)

ThomasAdams

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Nikon D3x Off to Nikon Repair for Servicing
« on: August 09, 2021, 22:36:52 »
Hello,

I recently purchased a used camera and while the listing said it was in great shape - one thing that was overlooked was the number of dead/stuck/hot pixels. I messaged the seller and we agreed on a partial refund, the camera was in good condition otherwise. I just sent it off today via USPS and I can only hope I get it back sometime soon and that no parts require repair/replacement. I figured I would post my experience with buying an older camera and repair work with Nikon - or I'm excited to get it back and am just very impatient  ;D. The camera came with everything like new. The body was in excellent near mint shape, shutter count ~44,000 - missing a screw and I bit of haze behind the rear LCD. I recalled the haze happening with many cameras - don't recall the exact cause or if this was something due to manufacturing or if any cause was determined. My D3 has never had any issue like this. The seller did say that the camera was in storage for over a decade. The 2 batteries hadn't been charged in awhile and while they took a charge - one only got about 3 photos out of it and died.

Part of the reasoning behind this purchase may have been a "return to my past desires" driven, I always wanted the D3x! As an amateur photographer 8,000 USD was a bit out of my price range, much like the story of the Nikkor 200-400mm F4 :P. I sold off many items due to health issues years ago, that combined with the desire to catalog photos, always feeling behind (Feeling of having to capture the family moments) I loss some of the enjoyment I experienced in photography. Without a conscious decision actually being made and like so many others, photography was shelved for awhile as a hobby.

So, a little over $800.00 USD + $200.00 USD repair* (*Unless something needs replaced) and I will finally have my D3x. And for those who may be curious; yes I did get the 200-400 f4 as well but that is another story! More to come...

Regards,
Tom

Frode

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: Nikon D3x Off to Nikon Repair for Servicing
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2021, 23:55:05 »
There’s a solution for stuck pixels:

Two sensor cleanings in quick succession (setup menu -> clean image sensor -> clean now).

This will permanently map out stuck/hot pixels.

Snoogly

• NG Supporter
  • Flipping the bird
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2021, 00:37:18 »
It’s curious that Nikon still supports the D3X, but not the D4 (in Japan anyway).

Thanks for the stick pixels tip :-)
Richard Hawking (not Richard Haw!), in Tokyo

ThomasAdams

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2021, 00:46:45 »
Frode,

Thank you for the information and I had ran across that and was unable to locate it in the menu leading to more searching on the web. I believe that started after the D3 and D3x series. The D3s may have had it, but someone would have to confirm.

Snoogly,

Yes, there are many oddities with what they service and what they won't. Perhaps it has to do with parts availability and other factors. I figured if I wanted to keep this - I'd better get it sent in now before it is too late. Depending on how it goes I may send in my D3 - although I can't recall if it's still on the list or not at the moment. It has held up extremely well and has no issues. But I should have it sent in just the same.

Zang

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2021, 04:58:27 »
...and I will finally have my D3x.

I am sorry to hear you got a camera that needs repair. It would be nicer if you got the dream camera flawless. How bad are the bad pixels? Are they all over?

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2021, 05:50:03 »
There’s a solution for stuck pixels:

Two sensor cleanings in quick succession (setup menu -> clean image sensor -> clean now).

This will permanently map out stuck/hot pixels.

Is there any message indicating that the hot pixels were mapped out? I think I've tried this on a D300s and that it did not work.

Dave
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2021, 06:17:17 »
I just cleaned the sensor on my D300s five times in rapid succession and I've got six stuck pixels. Six that I saw in a black frame. I thought I had only two, one red and one blue but I have four white and two red.

Do stuck pixels change? Are they heat related? I forgot all about them until I read this thread.

Dave

ThomasAdams

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2021, 18:35:00 »
Heat increases resistance and can exacerbate the intensity and quantity of hot pixels, for example during long exposures. Did you go into Manual mode and set the ISO to base before doing the sensor clean(s)? I believe noise reduction must also be set to off. As the pixels age, they can die, or get stuck (on). The color corresponds to the pixels that are stuck on and which channels are active (not burnt out). If a pixel is stuck on it may start off as one color and then, for example, you lose the red and greens only blue would be left. This is just the basics, there are many in-depth articles about it all over the internet.

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2021, 20:20:52 »
Thank you for the additional information. I'll try to map out the stuck pixels again later today or tomorrow.

Dave

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2021, 19:35:04 »
I tried these instruction and they did not work.  :-X

Read this thread on the NikonGear forum - for what it's worth...

Hot Pixel Remapping

1) Position your menu selection to be ready to apply a sensor cleaning.

2) Turn off Auto ISO and set camera to ISO3200 with all noise reductions OFF.

3) Set camera on Bulb and hold down the shutter for about 20 seconds to get things heated up a bit.

4) IMMEDIATELY after you release the shutter very quickly go into a sensor cleaning mode and execute 2 successive times in a row.

5) Take a new picture at the ISO3200 not in Bulb mode to confirm the hot or dead pixel is gone. Carefully viewing the image full screen not to miss it.

Hope this helps.

Mule

I've been searching the net and testing and haven't found much more than web sites with vague information and useless chatter on forums. Does anyone have specific information about various Nikon cameras and for the D300s in particular.Does anyone know of a list of specific Nikon models where back to back sensor cleaning will map out stuck pixels? Any other sites with instructions?

I did a two-button reset on my D300s. Then I set the camera to NEF image quality and turn off auto ISO and all noise reduction. The stuck pixels I'm seeing show up at the same locations every time. I thought I had a red and a blue stuck pixel on this camera. At this time I'm only finding red ones.

Anyway no joy...

Dave

This probably deserves a discussion of its own so I'll start one. I'm sorry if this is too far off the topic of this thread.

ThomasAdams

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2021, 23:28:20 »
D3x received in Signal Hill, California as of Aug 12. Thank you USPS :) Keeping my fingers crossed now.

ThomasAdams

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2021, 17:22:46 »
Received the dreaded gray market email "POP Needed". I had no idea but am annoyed with this archaic Nikon system in a global economy and myself for not asking more questions of the seller on the auction site I purchased it on. They will not fix it if I am unable to locate the original receipt.

I hope your Friday has stated better than mine!  8)

Dogman

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2021, 18:18:52 »
Well, it is Friday the 13th after all. :-\
"If it's more than a hundred feet from the car, it's not photogenic."--Edward Weston

My Photos: https://www.flickr.com/photos/197057338@N03/

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2021, 19:30:25 »
Received the dreaded gray market email "POP Needed". I had no idea but am annoyed with this archaic Nikon system in a global economy and myself for not asking more questions of the seller on the auction site I purchased it on. They will not fix it if I am unable to locate the original receipt.

I hope your Friday has stated better than mine!  8)

Years ago I called Nikon in the Los Angeles area asking if a used Nikon F3 and MD-4 that I just bought were Nikon USA or gray market. I had 14 days to return these products. I was told that no one at Nikon will "divulge that information." They had a secret list of serial numbers. I was trying to avoid buying used gray market Nikon products. The person I was speaking to then realizing how stupid this sounded soften and said that there were many repair shops that would repair my Nikon F3 or MD-4 if needed. I know it was not the employees fault who was speaking to me.

Nikon USA's anti-customer policies have steadily eroded my opinion and satisfaction with Nikon USA. About a decade ago Nikon USA was violating California law by refusing to sell parts to independent camera repair shops. This seriously impacted a friend's income as an independent camera repairman. There was a lawsuit against Nikon. I don't know the outcome of the law suit but many independent repair shops were forced out of business.

I started with Nikon in 1970. Given Nikon's anti-customer polices I would probably not be using Nikon products.

Dave

ThomasAdams

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2021, 19:35:52 »
Well, it is Friday the 13th after all. :-\

That it is! There are alternatives of course, so I am not too stressed other than being out $50.00 in shipping charges :(. Next time I will call and verify serial number first. My D3x serial starts with a 5 which some sights state are for Canada which Nikon should repair. But I do know that the serials numbers are not that straight forward. I have asked Nikon what region the serial corresponds with.

Regards,
Tom