Author Topic: Nikon D3x Off to Nikon Repair for Servicing  (Read 5491 times)

Snoogly

• NG Supporter
  • Flipping the bird
Re: Nikon D3x Off to Nikon Repair for Servicing
« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2021, 09:57:12 »
Seems similar to the so called Apple Genius Bar. Depends a million percent on who you deal with.

I am just a humble lumpen drone here in Tokyo, and my experiences with Nikon totally depend on who I a lucky enough to deal with. Of course those with Nikon connections can easily fast track here, but the lumpen like me have to deal with the trained drones.

Everything is by the manual here, from nuclear disasters to a faulty camera. There is no space for free thinking or difference. So if a lens or camera is not officially supported - that’s it. Endo.

The only time I wish I was living in the USA is when I know I am missing out on an independent reapairer..
Richard Hawking (not Richard Haw!), in Tokyo

ThomasAdams

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #31 on: October 16, 2021, 01:27:04 »
I apologize for not returning to this post, I realize that some of you took time to comment and I appreciate it. I am split, part of me thinks no one wants to read about my experiences as it's not uncommon or enjoyable. Part of me wants to continue documenting it...  ???

The frustration continues but there is progress. They finally accepted the camera back and sent a prepaid UPS label. I spent on last day with the camera and then boxed it up. There are many similarities with the D3 and some very obvious differences. I still need time to explore and learn the inner workings and how to make images with it. I responded to a closed ticket as I hadn't heard anything and once again was reminded that their website is in need of some TLC. As soon as I sent off an email to reopen the ticket I got an email stating it had been closed. I documented this in a follow up email to Nikon and then later received a reply and a new ticket number. So I took a look and the new ticket number reads:

Problem: IMAGE SENSOR HAS BURNED OUT PIXELS UNRELATED ISSUE-GOOD WILL REPAIR

Please note in much of my correspondence I have stated bad pixels and when elaborating used the terms Dead, Stuck, Hot, Cold(? may not have given this term but I circled the damn pixels! They don't register the correct value). I have never seen the term burned out pixels used. I have coined this marketing speak.  ;D

I explained it to my wife this way when explaining the frustration based on the comment on the ticket:

That is like taking your car into the shop and saying I have a flat tire, there is a hole in the tire and illustrating where it's at with soapy water. They repair it and hand over the car, the tire goes flat immediately and you take it back and tell them the same hole is in it and they argue about it. Finally they say yes, there is an unrelated problem, there is separation between the molecules, we will fix it but it wasn't related to the issue it was initially sent in for.

In any case, I see progress and I will hold onto that and hope that it arrives in time for some fall photographs. While this has sapped some of the excitement out of getting the new gear, I am still extremely eager to get it back and put it to use!

Regards,
Tom

ThomasAdams

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #32 on: October 25, 2021, 21:40:51 »
I received my camera back from Nikon. I was apprehensive, but it appears that they have done a good job the 2nd go around. No pixel issues, better than my D3 now!

I was once again forced to remind myself, check all your settings! I took some images and didn't realize I was on .JPG mode  :o.

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #33 on: October 26, 2021, 00:19:32 »
I was once again forced to remind myself, check all your settings! I took some images and didn't realize I was on .JPG mode  :o.

If the D3X is similar to the D300s, D800 and D850 you can save your settings banks to a memory card in your camera. Once saved you can backup the *.BIN file (D850 example: NCSETUPM.BIN) to your computer. The *.BIN file on the memory card is easy to over-write but you can wright protect it on the memory card using Properties for a Windows PC or Get Info for a MAC. If you accidentally try to over-write your personal defaults saved in the *.BIN file you camera will respond with something similar to "Cannot create file."

OK, so once you've saved your personal default settings to your primary memory card on your camera you can Load Settings at anytime. I do this whenever I haven't used the camera for a while, e.g. an hour or whenever I'm unsure of the camera's state.

This procedure has saved me many errors. I don't look like a fool diving to menu when I should be shooting.

An important part of smooth use of my Nikon cameras is creating a well organized My Menu. The My Menu is saved to the *.BIN file along with the banks and other settings. Check your manual to see what is backed up and what is not.

So I mess with settings. I'm finished doing whatever. I'm unsure of the cameras settings. I "Load settings," my personal settings and I'm good to shoot!

Best,

Dave
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

mxbianco

• NG Supporter
  • A teddy bear from the Alps, rarely fierce
« Reply #34 on: October 26, 2021, 16:49:49 »
If the D3X is similar to the D300s, D800 and D850 you can save your settings banks to a memory card in your camera. Once saved you can backup the *.BIN file (D850 example: NCSETUPM.BIN) to your computer. The *.BIN file on the memory card is easy to over-write but you can wright protect it on the memory card using Properties for a Windows PC or Get Info for a MAC. If you accidentally try to over-write your personal defaults saved in the *.BIN file you camera will respond with something similar to "Cannot create file."

Making the file read-only will not prevent you from erasing it in all cases, for example it will be gone forever if you format your memory card. It is essential to have a backup on a computer so it can be restored on the memory card. Apart from this difference, your procedure for restoring the camera to a known default state is exactly the same as mine.

Ciao from Massimo
Since evolution has given us TWO ears and ONE mouth, we are supposed (me included) to be doing more listening than talking.

ThomasAdams

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #35 on: October 26, 2021, 21:23:14 »
Hello,

Thank you for the comments. I  have used/use the settings file with my previous cameras (and current D3), I just haven't had this camera long enough to actually set anything up as it has been traveling back and forth to Nikon since I received it. I typically keep a smaller CF card with the settings files as well as an excel file with all the settings.

Regards,
Tom

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #36 on: October 27, 2021, 00:53:14 »
Making the file read-only will not prevent you from erasing it in all cases, for example it will be gone forever if you format your memory card.

Thank you for pointing this out...

I forgot to mention that the *.bin must be copied back to the memory card when ever the card is reformatted.

I don't format my memory cards often. Knock on silicon: I use the SD Association formatter follow by in camera formatting and only when I've removed a card without properly ejecting it or moving it from one camera to another.

Dave

The Devil now lives in silicon
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

SLR

• PC(e) Nikkor
  • NG Member
  • Fabulous gear...Lack of Talent
« Reply #37 on: January 02, 2022, 18:15:11 »
There’s a solution for stuck pixels:

Two sensor cleanings in quick succession (setup menu -> clean image sensor -> clean now).

This will permanently map out stuck/hot pixels.

That is Odd !!

The above Procedure does Not exist with the D3X...( it does with the D3S )

Copied & Paste from my own post on another forum...https://nikondslr.uk/view_topic.php?id=1448&forum_id=2

My wonderful D3X had so many of those , that it was as if it took pictures with built-in X-mas lighting...the D3S was not that much better.

I had already hunted down a program called " pixel-fixer ",when I stumbled over some advice.

Now , in RAW them pixels get fixed in developing ( Nikon Capture ), but not in J-peg , and I shoot both , RAW in 14 bit , j-peg in lower res. intended for media, but those coloured dots..For the D3X the procedure is as follows :

The " trick " is simply...with camera set to RAW and J-peg FINE

1) Put on lenscap , Close viewfinder blind.
2) Camera set to " M "
3) Select HIGHEST ISO ( I set it to H 2.0 )
4) Select Lowest Shutterspeed (which is 30 sec.)
5) Fire !!

It seems as if Camera switches off , wait for it...Shutter will Return , LCd `s light up , but wait !!...at one point the Monitor will show a black screen..the Top-Lcd will flash.. " JOB-af " for a little while, then after it stops ...Make SURE it stops completely !!

Keep steps 1 and 2 and 4.

3) Select LOWEST ISO ( I set it to L1.0 )
5) Fire ...

Again it will seem as if Camera switches off , wait for it...Shutter will Return , LCd `s light up , but wait !!...the Top-Lcd will flash.. " JOB-af " for a little while ...

As there are TWO (2) Directories,Do the Above TWICE !!...

Upon Checking the Monitor, using High Magnification , You will see that Most coloured dots are gone , IF , there still are some , then they will be mute , and even under pixel peeping they `ll be hardly noticeable , as you would have to Enlarge substantially.

Remember to set camera back to previous settings, as a shutterspeed of 30 sec. is a Long shutterspeed.. :)

Perhaps this was posted before , but I have not seen it .

I apologise on beforehand if I have .." kicked in open doors "...

S L R

Kodak SlrN..D1..D1x..D3S..D3x..PC(E) Nikkors with assorted Lenses Always have Filters mounted ...and Clean the Sensors on the fly.