Author Topic: Z fc - the thread  (Read 30644 times)

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
Re: Z fc - the thread
« Reply #240 on: June 27, 2022, 10:52:21 »
An additional piece of information regarding the aperture setting: Bot the Viltrox lenses for DX/Z and now the Voigtländer offerings allow the user to set aperture directly on the lens through the aperture ring there. This is possible because the internal electronics communicate with the camera and inform about the actual setting. In my opinion, this feature gives the user added freedom and versatility. The downside might be that the ultimate exposure accuracy is compromised as the metering partly is conducted with the lens stopped down. I haven't noticed this as a practical issue, though, but it should be mentioned.

thirtyfivemill

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • THIRTYFIVEMILL.COM
« Reply #241 on: July 18, 2022, 18:53:00 »
I have the Voigtlander 21mm Ultron f1.8 and the 35mmn Nokton f/1.2 VIII. Both lenses give great results on the Z FC. However, by far my favourite lens thus far on the Z FC is the Jupiter 3 50mm f/1.5. It really is a very special little lens with lovely DOF and it's tiny too so even with the adapter it's still a very compact setup and these lenses can still be had for a fraction of the price of a Voigtlander. I paid £170 for my example. Here's a quick shot of my lovely wife with that lens.

STUDYING - NIKON Z6 + VINTAGE RUSSIAN JUPITER 3 50MM F/1.5 by Vintage Photography, on Flickr

ianwatson

« Reply #242 on: July 18, 2022, 22:40:47 »
A touch too low-key for my taste but otherwise a lovely portrait!

thirtyfivemill

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • THIRTYFIVEMILL.COM
« Reply #243 on: July 25, 2022, 19:40:13 »
A touch too low-key for my taste but otherwise a lovely portrait!

Everyone's computer screen is different, Ian. I'm on a MacBook Pro with the light at max.

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #244 on: July 26, 2022, 11:52:15 »
Everyone's computer screen is different, Ian. I'm on a MacBook Pro with the light at max.

For your own use, you can of course use what settings you like but for sharing images with others, it is good to follow standards. There are display calibration tools available for the purpose of matching images across display devices and also between displays and paper. I use xrite i1 Display Pro. The outcome of the calibration may not give a perfect match but it will reduce differences considerably. The target calibration standard can be set in the software (how bright and what color temperature to set to) and the graphic arts industry and television use different standard so there is a bit of a twist there if doing both photos and video.

As it is, your image looks like a dark shadow on devices that are close to the industry standard. Even without a calibration device, you can adjust the screen closer to what is considered standard (using a grayscale bar).

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #245 on: July 26, 2022, 16:36:48 »
It is usually beneficial (to the viewers) to cinvert the image to sRGB -- this is like the lowest common denominator for monitors.

Not the space to use for prepress work, of course, but presenting small images on web pages is an entrely different business.

As to the perceived brightness, have a look at the intensity histogram. If there is some information above say RGB 240-245, these areas on the monitor should more or less pure white (or bright red, green, or blue; depending on the actual channel values). If they don't, your monitor is set too dark. RGB 245 should look different to RGB 255, if not, the monitor is too bright. On the other end of the scale, RGB 10+ should be visibly different and don't merge into featureless blacks. If not, your monitor is not bright enough. Then there is the old struggle of gamma wars between Macs and PCs which tend to be less important nowadays, but still using a very low or high gamma leads to viewing troubles for most users. Around 2.2 should be ideal.

The best is of course doing a hardware colour calibration with a dedicated device, no matter what colour space you end up with.

Bern

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #246 on: October 27, 2022, 08:01:58 »
Am I too late for the party?

Just bought a used copy in excellent condition. Its not the standard panda style but I liked the burnt orange skin it came with. It's a first on many things - first non black camera, mirrorless and retro design.

I still have to set it up including updating firmware as it came with version 1. Any advise on how its best set up?
Keep shooting,
Bern

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #247 on: October 27, 2022, 08:32:14 »
A non-Panda Z fc -- nice :)

Unfortunately, only the standard Panda was available when I purchased my Z fc. I had hoped for a pink version.

As to the setting up, may I suggest you use the camera for a while and note what areas of operation require modification. There is no 'one size-fits-all' setup. However, you do need to handle the camera differently from the now ubiquitous DSLR designs based on a protruding thumb rest, which the Z fc lacks. As hands differ between people, each has to find their best way of interfacing hands and camera. I feel very comfortable using the Z fc and in that respect it reminds of the Df.

Fons Baerken

• NG Supporter
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/fonsbaerken/
« Reply #248 on: October 27, 2022, 08:55:00 »
Am I too late for the party?

Just bought a used copy in excellent condition. Its not the standard panda style but I liked the burnt orange skin it came with. It's a first on many things - first non black camera, mirrorless and retro design.

I still have to set it up including updating firmware as it came with version 1. Any advise on how its best set up?

Get a different strap, Bern. Lol!

Bern

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #249 on: October 27, 2022, 10:34:26 »
This was also the first non-Panda Zfc I saw for sale here in the Philippines. I liked the way it fits in my hands,.and it has just enough weight for good handling. The Nikon grip it came with is a nice addition as I transition from a full grip design in a DSLR.

I just finished backreading the whole thread and Ive picked up a few points that will help a lot.

A non-Panda Z fc -- nice :)

Unfortunately, only the standard Panda was available when I purchased my Z fc. I had hoped for a pink version.

As to the setting up, may I suggest you use the camera for a while and note what areas of operation require modification. There is no 'one size-fits-all' setup. However, you do need to handle the camera differently from the now ubiquitous DSLR designs based on a protruding thumb rest, which the Z fc lacks. As hands differ between people, each has to find their best way of interfacing hands and camera. I feel very comfortable using the Z fc and in that respect it reminds of the Df.
Keep shooting,
Bern

Bern

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #250 on: October 27, 2022, 10:35:39 »
Get a different strap, Bern. Lol!

Good idea, ill look for one then  ;D
Keep shooting,
Bern

Fons Baerken

• NG Supporter
« Reply #251 on: October 27, 2022, 11:30:56 »
Did Birna try the Viltrox 13mm f/1.4 yet?

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #252 on: October 27, 2022, 14:33:40 »
Did Birna try the Viltrox 13mm f/1.4 yet?

Oh yes, been with me for a few months already. Excellent optics however substantially bigger than the shorter 23mm sibling of the same lens speed. Still handles very well on the Z fc and is enjoyable on the Z9 (with DX resolution of course, still approx. 20MPix). The electronics work seamlessly with the Z system and AF is pretty fast in particular on the Z9.

I have used the 13/1.4 for IR on my Z5 & Z6 modified cameras and for a change here is a lens that largely avoids hot spots in IR.

I got my 13 Viltrox through a Kickstarter campaign which made the lens quite inexpensive. I'm told current prices are nearly twice that I paid.

Fons Baerken

• NG Supporter
« Reply #253 on: October 27, 2022, 14:51:23 »
Thank you Birna, prices are at a $400 level now.
I also came across this lens for the Z mount the laowa 10mm f/4

https://dustinabbott.net/2022/07/laowa-10mm-f4-cookie-lens-review/

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #254 on: October 27, 2022, 16:07:13 »
Oh, twice the Kickstarter price then. Still not that outrageous for an excellent lens.